What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » forward browser script

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
forward browser script
Author: Message:
DJKAL

33 / Male / –
O.P. forward browser script
i am starting a website for my cousin tonight and i have a logo wich i want to have transparency - no problem. though in IE it doesnt view properly - problem solved, i matched the gradient and it is ok. though in firefox it isnt

can someone please give me a script to make the browser forward the page viwer to a differnet page if they are viewing in firefox as aposed to those viewing in IE

can someone please help, this is not for me - it is for my cousin and all women out there
"You don't sleep, you defragment!"
05-12-2006 10:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: forward browser script
I'd use a ready-made server side script to detect Internet Explorer (find one), then serve the same page, with just the different logo served for Internet Explorer.

There are also JavaScript scripts which can have Internet Explorer display alpha-channel PNGs correctly, which might be better.

I can help you more if you want.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
05-12-2006 11:39 PM
DJKAL

33 / Male / –
O.P. RE: forward browser script
thanks, i was thinkin of using JavaScriptbut not sure of the code.
the site (at the moment - i have bought her a domain and once set up on my hosting will be changed) is www.calumsdiscos.co.uk/shiv
in internet explorer it displays perfectly but firefox shows the colours differently. i can use transparency to solve that but need a way to get the website to detect firefox then forward the user to a similar version of the website though different images (such as: www.firefox. (her domain here).co.uk ) but i need a way to detect firefox and forward it to that link
05-12-2006 11:44 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
IIRC, IE renders the colours of a png slightly differently to everything else (god knows why, perhaps something todo with ignore alpha channel data).

So, you have two options, either stop using png, and use a different format, or use some php code to detect the browser (using the useragent) and display a different image depending on what the browser is.
Don't build two different sites, just have two versions of the image, and simply output different html.
Google for "php browser detect" or something along those lines for some code :P
05-13-2006 12:28 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Ummm ... what was wrong with just using text? Does it really need to be in a image?

PNG in Windows IE is the website which explains the PNG problem and has the workaround script, with good instruction on how to use it. It makes PNGs with alpha channel work properly in Internet Explorer versions 5 and 6. It will let you use the image that you were first using, and have it work properly in most browsers. I'd use this method. I can help you put it into the website.

If you want to use different images, then you should give special images to Internet Explorer versions 5 and 6 only, because they have the problem. Give Firefox and other browser normal images (with transparency). I can make a script for this if you want.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
05-13-2006 12:52 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
make sure you choose "save gamma" when saving the png
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
05-13-2006 03:51 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
DJKAL

33 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
I can make a script for this if you want.

if you would i would be real greatfull and my cousin will be too.

quote:
Originally posted by rav0

Ummm ... what was wrong with just using text? Does it really need to be in a image?

it was not my choice - my cousin wanted it like that, that's just for the first page where you click "enter" to get into the site so in the site i will use text and not all the images, but none of this is my choice - all hers.
05-13-2006 05:48 AM
segosa
Community's Choice

Tell her that when people visit webpages they actually expect to see a website, not an entry page causing them to have to click somewhere again before they can even get to where they were going.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
05-13-2006 06:04 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DJKAL

33 / Male / –
i know this, and did mention it to her but a lot of other sites have it and sh is just etting it to a style she likes and that will attract the other women (to her website not to her ...)
and though this page can be annoying on times it creats an ammediate  impact and i am just creating what she wants
05-13-2006 06:07 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by segosa
Tell her that when people visit webpages they actually expect to see a website, not an entry page causing them to have to click somewhere again before they can even get to where they were going.

Sadly not everyone thinks that way seg. Personally my favourite is when you click a link and then you get redirected to an advertisement page before the actual page you want to see :).
Segosa is newb.
05-13-2006 06:57 AM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: