What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Another sponsor thread (Sorry! I know, I know!)

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Another sponsor thread (Sorry! I know, I know!)
Author: Message:
Hah

Im in a good mood - take advantage!

37 / Male / –
O.P. Another sponsor thread (Sorry! I know, I know!)
Hi there,

I don't know if any of you remember me but I've just nipped by with a bit of a tiny complaint about the sponsor (and my sister!).

Now believe me I know all the existing 'problems' and status regarding the sponsor in msgplus but never before have I really experienced a problem with it (at all).

The Story:

(Ok, before I start you should know I run a very tidy computer and I'm doing a degree in Computer Science at the moment so please don't reply with the "The sponsor is optional ....... etc etc" standard post.)

Right, I'm on my computer messing with my new Bluetooth GPS Toy in java while my girlfriend is watching something about the Moor's Murderer's on tv.

Her program ends so she asks me if I can drive her home because shes up at 7 for work. As I'm about to log off my pc my little sister (13) comes in and asks if she can quickly nip on msn to chat to a friend about homework and she promises to log off when shes finished (saving her having to boot up the family pc)

I saw no problem with that and said yep sure as long as you dont touch anything but msn. - She promises.

Twenty minutes later I come back and the computers logged off as promised. I log into msn and i notice the familiar plus! menu - but the computers just been formatted, reinstalled and i didn't install plus. - thats strange i thought - then plus pops up with its configuration wizard. Hmmm - i think my little sisters slightly broke her promise!

A little bit of moaning and she admits she broke her promise, her friend wanted to show off her funky new name so she saw no harm in installing it.

The Problem: 13 Year Old girls don't read installer's - in fact if they did i'd say theres only a pretty small chance they will fully understand what it will do. So when the sponsor question comes along its a quick "hmmm, dont understand, oh well",click, click, click, click, ..., finished.

Oops the sponsors installed but the owner didn't want it too be - its still not fool proof. (or 13 year old sister proof either). - There must be a way! :D.

Just wanted to let you know, Tah,

Hah

P.s. (Please dont post about trusting 13 year old girls either, when my little sister promises to me, i can't help but accept it! - i think its a brother thing!)
This post was brought to you by Hah!
(and he takes no responsibility for it :p)

[Image: signatures.jpg]

{Current Web Site}
05-15-2006 11:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Another sponsor thread (Sorry! I know, I know!)
I've seen many stories like yours posted on these forums.

All I can say is that it takes less then a minute to uninstall the sponsor, it's very simple. I don't think Patchou designed Messenger Plus! for 13 year old girls. He designed it for people who would read the installation correctly. So your right, it's not fool proof.

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Of course the adware is harmless, and yes, as a developer, I can affirm it. There's nothing wrong about advertisement popups and a search bar (yes, a search bar IS handy).

There's nothing wrong with installing the sponsor, you can easily just remove it again.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
05-15-2006 11:25 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
well with the way the sponsor is now, you can go to add/remove programs, and choose to uninstall the just the sponsor... Easy as that... It's making it easier for those people who accidently install the sponsor and later complain/think back on how stupid they are for doing it when they notice all the spywear.... But in reality..... it's ALL adware... And really no harm to your computer. I don't have it on mine, but only because I can't clutter my computer with more useless stuff.
05-15-2006 11:27 PM
Hah

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Another sponsor thread (Sorry! I know, I know!)
Yeh your both not getting the point. The point is some people, including myself don't want anything but what they want on there computer. I don't want a search bar (though i believe this is no longer included) or any advertisments. My computer is mine, end of story, not an advertisers. I have my tv if i want to watch some adverts.

And yes ofcourse its easy to uninstall, i figured you would understand i'd know how to but never mind but again, thats not the point. In a reputable program like Messenger Plus it should be near impossible to make the mistake of installing such a thing as the sponsor.

Also, trust me, lots of people from 8-80+ will be using messenger plus and your nieve to think otherwise. It wouldn't surprise me if under 15's are a huge part of Patchou's user base.

Edit: I should also add here, this isn't just a problem with plus, I'm amazed with the amount of Yahoo and other toolbars installed on peoples computers from Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger etc. The users dont have a clue where these come from. There should be more protection for these users.

This post was edited on 05-15-2006 at 11:39 PM by Hah.

{Current Web Site}
05-15-2006 11:37 PM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Hah
Messenger Plus it should be near impossible to make the mistake of installing such a thing as the sponsor

It is... if you can't read that blatent [insert language here], then you probably aren't old enough to even wanna think about installing something on your computer.
quote:
Originally posted by Hah
It wouldn't surprise me if under 15's are a huge part of Patchou's user base.
I think much of it is... and I think most of it (with the new sponsor layout) are smart enough not to install it. Be our guests and completely reinstall Messenger Plus to see how hard it is to accidently install the sponsor program.

I do agree with you on the last bit you put in there though ;)

This post was edited on 05-15-2006 at 11:41 PM by qgroessl.
05-15-2006 11:40 PM
Hah

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Another sponsor thread (Sorry! I know, I know!)
quote:
Originally posted by UTI
quote:
Originally posted by Hah
Messenger Plus it should be near impossible to make the mistake of installing such a thing as the sponsor

It is... if you can't read that blatent [insert language here], then you probably aren't old enough to even wanna think about installing something on your computer.
quote:
Originally posted by Hah
It wouldn't surprise me if under 15's are a huge part of Patchou's user base.
I think much of it is... and I think most of it (with the new sponsor layout) are smart enough not to install it. Be our guests and completely reinstall Messenger Plus to see how hard it is to accidently install the sponsor program.

I do agree with you on the last bit you put in there though ;)

Look, you seemed to have misunderstood me here. I know exactly how hard it is to reinstall plus without the sponsor (i did do immediately.) and I know exactly what it says, but the fact that alot of average users I speak too dont even see the question proves my point.

For the more skilled user - of course its easy to see the question (such as myself).

{Current Web Site}
05-15-2006 11:44 PM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
If they don't read, [i think you don't want to see/accept this] they are lost, messages cannot be read aloud, and if they are installing, they should at least read what it says, I bet you, that if there was a program to format the , with the setup renamed to WLM.22..2.0.2006 Many people who dont read will install it, and erase their whole HDD.

The installer contains simple language, its not using technical words.
There is no excuse for not reading the installer and then blaming plus.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
05-16-2006 12:28 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
dylan!

l33t p4int3r

– / Male / Flag
:cheesy:skilled user such as yourself:cheesy:
just don't let her on your computer if you don't want her to do things that you don't want...
as you said your a more skilled user and shes not so you should have made her take that extra 1 minute to boot the family pc because she doesnt know wtf she's doing...
05-16-2006 12:34 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Reload2

-> The second Reload <-

31 / Male / –
I am 13 years old and I'm reading what's in the installer ^^ and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who reads the installer, even at 13 years old

This post was edited on 05-16-2006 at 12:40 AM by Reload2.
05-16-2006 12:39 AM
zach

33 / Male / Flag
I think the installer could have been made clearer like a box that you have to tick which you would miss if you were like your sister. Not everyone is computer savvy.
05-16-2006 04:29 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: