What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Will Region 4 DVD display properly on PS2?

Will Region 4 DVD display properly on PS2?
Author: Message:
Vazza

– / Female / –
O.P. Will Region 4 DVD display properly on PS2?
Okay I seem to be having a technological blonde moment (rare I know) but I wonder if anyone can advise before I purchase something.

I've seen a DVD boxset that I would love to get my hands on. The problem is that it is from Austraila, and therefore Region 4. Fortunately Austraila and UK are PAL format so I don't see a problem with that.

What I want to know is, if I play these DVD through my PS2 (after the help of cheat disk to change the region for that session) will they display properly? The only reason I ask is that I recently tried a Region Free disk in it and it came up in black and white (which I assume means that its NTSC format?) despite showing in glorious technicolor on other and OLDER dvd players (including a portable PAL dvd player). Just want to see what people thought before I go splashing the not yet aquired cash :p

Thanks in advnace guys :)
I'll never forget how lucky I was 7285 days, 22 hours, 21 minutes, 36 seconds ago
[Image: 2tde3m][Image: 2y6ojm]
05-19-2006 09:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Will Region 4 DVD display properly on PS2?
It usually depends how old your TV is. Old TVs won't support NTSC, thats why its shown in black and white. If your TV is new(ish), then it should support NTSC and play in colour.
What region free disc are you using?
05-19-2006 09:19 PM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Will Region 4 DVD display properly on PS2?
quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
tried a Region Free disk in it and it came up in black and white (which I assume means that its NTSC format?)
Most likely it was an NTSC video, and your TV couldn't handle the colour, but could show you a black and white picture.
quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
despite showing in glorious technicolor on other and OLDER dvd players (including a portable PAL dvd player)
Many DVD Players (not the PS2) can decode NTSC, and then convert it to PAL before sending the picture to the TV.

Without region coding getting in the way, it should work. My PS2 can play region free PAL DVDs, and will output a PAL video signal. It can play region free NTSC DVDs, and will output an NTSC video signal.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
05-19-2006 10:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Vazza

– / Female / –
O.P. RE: Will Region 4 DVD display properly on PS2?
quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
It usually depends how old your TV is. Old TVs won't support NTSC/quote]
Yeah but I even tried it on a older TV and one of the first available DVD players in the UK and it showed fine :s

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
What region free disc are you using?
It came with an album I bought from Korea contain clips from a forthcoming Concert DVD (which I have a theory it's going to be the same).

I'll never forget how lucky I was 7285 days, 22 hours, 21 minutes, 36 seconds ago
[Image: 2tde3m][Image: 2y6ojm]
05-20-2006 03:13 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: