What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Unusual logging (MLP)

Unusual logging (MLP)
Author: Message:
kierant

Can you still feel the butterflies?

– / Male / –
O.P. Unusual logging (MLP)
I have Music Logger Plus installed and bizarrely in the Plus! event log I have several entries of songs played from contacts I don't even have on my list. I don't recognize any of their email addresses so I'm sure they're not ones that I've deleted or anything.

Any ideas? Thanks
05-06-2006 08:39 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Unusual logging (MLP)
It may be that they have you on their list. In this case, the servers propagate the info to you, but it isn't displayed as you don't have them on your list.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
05-06-2006 10:31 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
The_Joker

TF

I've got the same problem.
In my case it's in the plugin's log, never seen in on Plus!'s event log, just in the MLP log history...
I've checked, never seen these addresses b4, nor they have me on their lists (checked the "contacts who have me on their list" list now, they aren't there).
3 addresses, all are hotmail.com if that can help...
Messenger Plus! 3.61 unofficial Hebrew translator
Messenger Plus! Live unofficial Hebrew translator
05-07-2006 12:37 PM
BluexDreams

o.O

35 / Female / Flag
I used to notice such things back when I still used it. I realized that it's logging what my sister's contact list are listening to. And well, that was a whole other account in the computer.

So maybe someone else has his/her account switched on the same computer and they happen to be using WLP?
05-17-2006 07:22 PM
The_Joker

TF

I noticed it too when I played with my second (tests) account...

But that is not the case, I'm the only one on the computer, so it can't be.

ROFLOL, just checked some crazy idea: my computer is a router, and the second one is connected through it, so everything goes through here first, including songs data packets, and it seems like it also detects those who go to the second computer...

So the problem is that the plugin sniffs the data packets from the internet connecting and not through the MSNM process...
Messenger Plus! 3.61 unofficial Hebrew translator
Messenger Plus! Live unofficial Hebrew translator
05-18-2006 05:56 PM
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
The_Joker:
Yes, this might be true.. But, if I'm not mistaking, then the job of the router is to make sure that YOU (Your computer) ONLY gets the packets that is ment to be sent to you, and packets ment for another computer is sent to that computer.. This is (If I'm not mistaking, if I am please correct me) what the router is there for, hence the name, router, routing the traffic... If you are running through a Hub what you are suggesting might be true, since (And again, I'm not sure whether I'm mixing up Hub and Switch), a Hub sends ALL packets to ALL computers connected to it, and then it's the computers business to sort out the data. The same thing goes for Wireless LANs. The case when ALL packets are send to all computers are often used malicously...

Edit:
Just reading your post again, I see that your Computer is acting as router.
Then that is most likely your problem...
If you have looked in the thread about MLP, where the Source was released, it is easily to see that MLP is just Packet sniffing data, and extracting data that contains the special elements that significes that the data is a song played.
So if your computer is acting as router, then your computer will get all the packets from the computers connected, and you will of course see all those songs...
MLP does not use any kind of Messenger API or process, it is done using only packet sniffing...
So, now I guess you found your answer.. :P...

This post was edited on 05-19-2006 at 08:04 PM by (CyBeRDuDe).
05-19-2006 08:01 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
(CyBeRDuDe), Plus! uses the absolute minimum packet sniffing, and most if not all events are recorded via various APIs that Plus! has found inside Messenger. Anyway, even if the PC is acting as a router, Messenger will still only receive traffic sent directly to it, not to any other Messengers running elsewhere on the network.
The way the PC acts as a router is just like a real router works: it only forwards data to the PC itself if that data is meant for that PC.
Also, when using hubs and switches, PCs reject packets that are not meant for them.

Basically, Plus! is catching the events via API, using packet sniffing only where the API is broken (which is On*FriendlyNameChange in 7.5). So, these spurious entries in the log are genuinely sent to that individual Messenger, and will be of people on your Reverse List that you aren't otherwise aware are on there.
05-20-2006 01:18 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Unusual logging (MLP)
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
(CyBeRDuDe), Plus! uses the absolute minimum packet sniffing
[SNIPPED]
CyBeRDuDe is talking about MLP (Music Logger Plus), not about Messenger Plus!. And he explained that The_Joker's PC itself is probably acting like the main hub/switch/router/whatever, hence why his PC gets all the packets for all the connected PC's...

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
The way the PC acts as a router is just like a real router works: it only forwards data to the PC itself if that data is meant for that PC.
Hence why your PC, which acts like a main router, recieves ALL packets. Otherwise there wouldn't be anything to forward to the other PC's in the first place.

This post was edited on 05-20-2006 at 03:07 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-20-2006 02:45 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Fair enough, wrong add-on. Never heard of MLP before. And the PC may receive all packets, but it won't respond to all of them. Surely?
05-21-2006 08:38 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: