What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Computer won't recognise my memory stick

Computer won't recognise my memory stick
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Computer won't recognise my memory stick
quote:
Originally posted by kierant
yet when it is inserted and taken out the customary noises occur. Baffled :s
The sound you hear has actually nothing todo with Windows (not) reconizing the disk. The sound is just an indication that "something" is hot-plugged in.

Only then Windows should start up the reconizing stuff (in the form of a driver!) and only then it reconizes the disk as a disk.

If you don't have the proper driver or the driver isn't properly installed, then Windows wont reconize the disk as a disk, but still would reconize that "something" is plugged in (hence just the noise).

------------

Also check your configuration panel > system > hardware devices. And see if your USB drivers are properly installed and running (they probably are, but you never know).

Also try this:
Start > Run > "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

It will start up the hotswap panel (safely remove hardware devices thingie). Tick the check box option below and see what it states in the list. If all things are good it should list all your drive letters assigned to the different USB ports. If not, there is something wrong with your driver.

If stuff is listed there, select each item and press on "Properties", check again if everything is running normal. After that, select the main top item and click on "end" or "stop" (or whatever the English equivalent of that button is). After that unplug the device and reboot windows and try again.

This post was edited on 05-22-2006 at 11:04 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-22-2006 10:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Computer won't recognise my memory stick - by kierant on 05-22-2006 at 03:12 PM
RE: Computer won't recognise my memory stick - by Supersonicdarky on 05-22-2006 at 03:46 PM
RE: Computer won't recognise my memory stick - by Adeptus on 05-22-2006 at 03:46 PM
RE: Computer won't recognise my memory stick - by YottabyteWizard on 05-22-2006 at 03:47 PM
RE: Computer won't recognise my memory stick - by kierant on 05-22-2006 at 04:10 PM
RE: Computer won't recognise my memory stick - by RaceProUK on 05-22-2006 at 08:54 PM
RE: RE: Computer won't recognise my memory stick - by kierant on 05-22-2006 at 09:39 PM
RE: RE: RE: Computer won't recognise my memory stick - by CookieRevised on 05-22-2006 at 10:53 PM
RE: Computer won't recognise my memory stick - by Voldemort on 05-22-2006 at 09:42 PM
RE: Computer won't recognise my memory stick - by aNILEator on 05-22-2006 at 09:58 PM
RE: Computer won't recognise my memory stick - by RaceProUK on 05-22-2006 at 10:53 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: