What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Is it possible? (to petition MSN to assimilate Plus!)

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Is it possible? (to petition MSN to assimilate Plus!)
Author: Message:
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Is it possible? (to petition MSN to assimilate Plus!)
quote:
Originally posted by Nagini
quote:
Originally posted by NagamasaAzai

Microsoft MAY add some features,

Sources?
well common sence, look at it they are already puting in plus! features, like custom names, come back messages and offline messages are very similar, and so on
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6651 days, 11 hours, 46 minutes, 8 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
05-18-2006 12:35 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
Soon I'm sure MS will start supporting colored nicknames... (suprised they didn't do that already actually).... and I'm sure they'll improve a lot on their chat logging.... and they've made it possible for Add-ins... which are in essense plug-ins.
05-18-2006 12:46 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Is it possible? (to petition MSN to assimilate Plus!)
quote:
quote:

Sources?

Source: My brain and its assumptions, but if Microsoft doesnt add more feautures, how is it going to improve? If it doesn't, Microsoft will probably run out of versions by 10.x
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6555 days, 12 hours, 21 minutes, 37 seconds ago.

05-18-2006 12:58 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Patchou isn't working along side Microsoft, but they're very close in the projects, as in Patchou speaks to them a lot about his progress (afaik), but nothing that he does is approved by Microsoft or anything.
I think thats what he meant .... i was just about to say the same thing.

Microsoft shouldnt be copying Plus! features i believe and tbh plus! is a lot more actively worked on than msn (well wlm is being developed again so ignore that :P)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
05-18-2006 05:29 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
quote:
quote:

Sources?

Over the last 3 years feature apon feature has been copied.
Normally these are only minor ones. :P

Custom Names -> Nicknames
AutoAccept -> Sharing Folders
Plugins -> Addins

heh... ill think of some more later

This post was edited on 05-18-2006 at 06:31 AM by Stigmata.
05-18-2006 06:30 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

The custom name feature is really bad though, as you can't have a custom name in the contact list and have the nickname showing when you're talking to them.

Hopefully Patchou will add a feature to Messenger Plus! to do this, as he can do the custom names in the previous versions (where he masked the email address so that it showed the nickname). Surely he can mask the custom name so that it shows the nickname.
05-18-2006 06:54 AM
jordanspringer

jjordann

– / Male / –
quote:
Hopefully Patchou will add a feature to Messenger Plus! to do this, as he can do the custom names in the previous versions (where he masked the email address so that it showed the nickname). Surely he can mask the custom name so that it shows the nickname.

Excellent Idea
[Image: name4ld.png]
05-31-2006 05:46 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
High Speed Chaser

Don't mess with the Wambulance!

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
Over the last 3 years feature apon feature has been copied.
Normally these are only minor ones. :P

Plugins -> Addins

heh... ill think of some more later

Here is one
Optional Sponser Program -> Adds at the bottom

This post was edited on 05-31-2006 at 07:32 AM by High Speed Chaser.
If only I knew what I should put here
05-31-2006 07:32 AM
sufcste

Bring on the Premiership!

35 / Male / –
See this thread and this post by Patchou - it shows the most recent contact between Micro$oft and Patchou.
Meat Loaf 6403 days, 13 hours, 46 minutes, 8 seconds ago and in 6178 days, 13 hours, 46 minutes, 8 seconds ago!!! :D
05-31-2006 10:10 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Is it possible? (to petition MSN to assimilate Plus!)
quote:
Originally posted by UTI
Soon I'm sure MS will start supporting colored nicknames... (suprised they didn't do that already actually).... and I'm sure they'll improve a lot on their chat logging.... and they've made it possible for Add-ins... which are in essense plug-ins.
Although MS slowly catches up, the features they include are often not as usefull as the original Plus! features. Sometimes they are in their own way (shared folders), but sometimes they seriously lack usefullness (nicknames).

It is not always good that MS implements features which were originally in Plus!. But it is very good that they do it nevertheless.

Remember that WLM is a far bigger project than Plus! (programmatically). And far more people work on it. Also it is used on a waaay larger scale. All this means that everything must be tested deeper, more, and even better than Plus! (yes, I know there are always some bugs left; but do not underestimate the amount of work and bug-fixes they do each time!!!). Making Messenger costs an enourmous amount of money and time. Don't take it for granted.

And because of this it is quite 'normal' that MS does not implement everything the user asks, or not straight away at least. And that some stuff is implemented in a basic way (whereas the feature in Plus! had more options/possebilities).

quote:
Originally posted by jordanspringer
quote:

Excellent Idea
If this is added again (and I do hope so) then it will probaly work like it worked before. This means that email addresses must be shown in the contact list.

'Masking out' WLM nicknames in the contactlist will not be possible because nicknames aren't unique strings; two contacts can have the same nickname. The only unique thing are the email addresses, hence why emails where shown in the contactlist when you enabled Plus!' custom names in Plus!3.

And if there is a way to get the WLM nicknames you've set from the registry (or from the API even?), I bet the Plus! custom names can be imbedded inside the already existing WLM contact information panel and nicknames. Then, in other words, maybe you could type something like: "[c=4]Traxor[/c]: (!N)" as the WLM nickname and it will be shown as "Traxor: Hi ;) me is traxy and this is my screenname :D" in the contactlist and chat windows.

quote:
Not quite the same.
quote:
Can't be compared like that. Shared folders and AutoAccept are two completely different things.
quote:
Plugins -> Addins
Not quite the same again. And even more different than Custom Names vs. Nicknames.

Addins are seriously and extremely limited. Although there are some more things exposed for the user, the addins have a hell of a lot restrictions too (eg: you can only run 1 at a time by default afaik).

This post was edited on 07-19-2008 at 08:25 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-31-2006 07:19 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: