What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » buying navigation system.

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
buying navigation system.
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: buying navigation system.
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
http://www.tomtom.com

Check it out.  This is not an endorsement -- just something I've been hearing a lot of radio ads for.  I don't use such things myself.
I used those (in europe) and they suck big time compared to other brands.

Sure they are advertised a lot, but compare them to others (as in use them side by side with others) and you'll notice the difference immediatly.

TomTom is very much advertised and well known, but are not that good. TomTom is more like the cheap version of the actual proper thing so to speak.... You get what you pay for is certainly on its place here (although, in that aspect, I find TomTom devices overpriced). IMHO, the biggest disadvantage of the common TomTom Go devices are the bulkyness of them and the not so userfriendly (or maybe too userfriendly) menus.

-------------------------

But now we're talking about GPS navigation systems. There are a lot of different navigation systems.

It isn't clear in the first post which "navigation system" is meant: a device with build in GPS? An electronical map (thus without GPS) or what?

Reason I say this is because of Traxor's first reply. Traxor said the technology isn't that great yet. If he means GPS navigation systems then he's dead wrong though. GPS navigation exists for a looooooooong time now. You wouldn't believe in what stuff GPS is used today. And even what things wouldn't be possible without the dead accurate and extremely reliable GPS navigation systems. eg: whole industries would fall appart, heck, whole economical systems would fall appart. If there wasn't GPS, or even if it was so unreliable as you claim, not much boats would travel around the world, tanker collisions would occur every day, habors wouldn't exist, airplanes would still get "missing" all the time. Hell, even people who go on scientific exploration missions would be missing all the time, etc... etc... etc...

(well maybe one positive thing would happen: we wouldn't had long range missiles standing all around the world and war would still be a bit 'man to man' and more 'personal' (if that can be considered "good" that is))

-------------------------

If there is one certainty than it is the position of a GPS navigation device.

The only thing that might be "inaccurate" are the maps used on car-navigation systems and such. But that doesn't have anything todo with GPS.

If some drunk dude entered the wrong streetname in the database or some dude who showed up late on work didn't bother to check the coordinates they measured for the streets, or he saw the housenumber "3" double and made it "33", then of course the map you'll see on the screen would be 'wrong'.

But living in a country with extremely many roads criss-crossed all over the place, constant roadworks, constant new streets, changing streets, etc, I can say that if you buy a good GPS car-navigation you wouldn't have any problems at all. I use GPS a lot (for work) and only one time I didn't ended up where I wanted to be and that was the very first time I used the GPS: I simply wasn't used to it and how it showed directions.

In this aspect, even TomTom devices are good, but other brands quite often have better advantages: more userfriendly, more logical, better maps (on screen that is... not talking about accuracy as both are mostly equal: they come from the same source anyways, although they brand it differently), better placed buttons, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Panasonic are very good... Never had a problem with ours and ouurs is quite old now... and they send us updated maps every 6 months...
My one
I agree, I used a panasonic once, nothing negative to say about it. Good clear big display (very important), etc...

Though, a fell flat on my belly when the dude, who showed me this panasonic, stated the price :p

This post was edited on 06-01-2006 at 06:39 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-01-2006 06:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: