What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Downloaded Files

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Downloaded Files
Author: Message:
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Downloaded Files
Sorry for noob question, but where do files that you have download but only hit run and not save go to? :)
...there used to be a signature here :)
05-25-2006 03:09 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Downloaded Files
the temp folders, or the temporary internet files folder
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6651 days, 5 hours, 57 minutes, 1 second ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
05-25-2006 03:12 AM
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
The Temp folder is located in \Documents and Settings\(username)\Local Settings\Temp
The Temp Internet Files is located in \Documents and Settings\(username)\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

This post was edited on 05-25-2006 at 03:17 AM by Felu.
05-25-2006 03:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Downloaded Files
Thanks Both :)
...there used to be a signature here :)
05-25-2006 03:33 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Downloaded Files
quote:
Originally posted by -!Felu!-
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
The Temp folder is located in \Documents and Settings\(username)\Local Settings\Temp
The Temp Internet Files is located in \Documents and Settings\(username)\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Actually, that's not always the case. In fact, it quite often isn't the correct location. The correct location depends on many things. To know the correct location it is best to programmatically get the location by using a certain Windows API: SHGetSpecialFolderPath(). Other than that you can use the registry as a guide:

The Temp folder is located in the directory stated in the environment variable TEMP or TMP. This value of these environment variables can be found in the registry setting:
   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment

And the Temporary Internet Files folders for the current user can be found by looking at the registry setting:
   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Cache
or
   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Cache

The default Temporary Internet Files folder for all users (used when no user-specific path is set):
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths

NOTE THAT USING THESE REGISTRY KEYS TO FIND THOSE FOLDERS IS ACTUALLY A BAD METHOD! You must use the APIs SHGetSpecialFolderLocation, SHGetSpecialFolderPath and the likes instead...
more here

----------

Talking about APIs to get the exact location, another way to do some stuff with the cached internet files is using the APIs in Wininet.dll: DeleteUrlCacheEntry, FindFirstUrlCacheEntry, FindNextUrlCacheEntry,
FindCloseUrlCache, ...

----------

All in all it shows that the directories of the temporary internet files and temp folder aren't always "\Documents and Settings\(username)\etc". It depends from user to user and from computer to computer.

Moreover, the Temporary Internet Files folder is only used by MSIE. If you use another browser the internet cache folder will be way different and there isn't any API to determine the exact location; to know the exact location for your browser (other than MSIE) you need to look into your browser's preferences.

This post was edited on 07-24-2007 at 08:49 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-25-2006 11:37 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
On a quick note, use firefox and you can set a location to download the files to. :P
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
05-25-2006 08:30 PM
Zephyr

monster.rat

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
On a quick note, use firefox and you can set a location to download the files to. :P

Not if you just run the file, i don't think. Unless i've missed something. What would be the point in having the Run option if it saved it?
[Image: rhcpsig38tj.png]
05-25-2006 08:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Reload2

-> The second Reload <-

31 / Male / –
I don't know but I always find that run the file is a bit faster than save the file
05-25-2006 09:06 PM
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4

Not if you just run the file, i don't think. Unless i've missed something. What would be the point in having the Run option if it saved it?
The file has to be saved somewhere first. The point of having the Run option is for users that don't understand the file system and then can't find where the file they want is.

When you choose Open, Firefox downloads the file to the user's Temp folder (to easily find it, go to Start > Run, type "%tmp%" and click OK).
Internet Explorer uses its cache folder (you can find it in Tools > Options > Temporary Internet Files > Settings).

quote:
Originally posted by Reload2
I don't know but I always find that run the file is a bit faster than save the file
That's not true, it's the same, but when you choose Run or Open, you don't have to select a folder so it starts right away.
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
05-25-2006 09:32 PM
Zephyr

monster.rat

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
The file has to be saved somewhere first. The point of having the Run option is for users that don't understand the file system and then can't find where the file they want is.

Yeah, i do understand that. I didn't really express myself clearly though. I meant that if the user sets the folder for the files to go to when they are just open/run, then the user will know where the files are saved. And the point of opening/running a file, is that the user won't have to worry where it is, because it will be in an irrelevant folder.

I understand what im trying to say, sorry if i can't really explain it.
[Image: rhcpsig38tj.png]
05-25-2006 09:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: