What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN Server Speed

MSN Server Speed
Author: Message:
p23185

O.P. MSN Server Speed
I am having trouble with transferring video files (250-500Mb).  They used to zip right a long and the past 4-6 months the speed has dropped to a crawl.  Yesterday a 411Mb file took 2-1/2 hours.  My cable supplier is up to snuff (I have 4-5mbps downstream and 512kbps-2mbps upstream; same at my daughter's end) and I have gone through every piece of hardware and substituted with different vendors in both my house and my daughter's house.  Does anyone know the "average throughput speed" on the MSN server?  I understand it will vary by day of week and time of day, but I am talking about a 10 fold decrease in speed.  I used to be able to transfer a video file about 250Mb  in 15-20 minutes.  NO MORE.  Running Win XP SP2 on both ends and plenty fast for all other types of internet downloads including patches, programs, and normal web pages.
05-31-2006 08:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN Server Speed
411MB * 1024 = 420864KB
2.5h * 60 = 150m * 60 = 9000seconds
420864 / 9000 = 46.76KB/s average upload speed

I am actually jealous on such speed. I have an 8Mbit down/1Mbit up connection myself, but my MSN/WLM transfer speeds are usually something like 10 to 20 KB/s :( I hate it when slow MS servers decide file transfer shall go trough them.

Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-31-2006 10:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
p23185

O.P. RE: MSN Server Speed
Well then, I guess I have to stop complaining.  I guessed at the 2-1/2 hours, checking the MSN log is was actually 2 hours 3 min. which makes the calc even faster.  Do you know if the MSN file transfer speed has actually shifted down over the past 6 months or so?
06-01-2006 12:36 AM
Underlord
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN Server Speed
I assume that you're running a firewall or NAT which is causing transfers to go through a Microsoft server instead of creating a direct connection. Have you changed anything which could have caused it to be firewalled?
06-01-2006 07:54 AM
p23185

O.P. RE: MSN Server Speed
The only thing changed in that time frame was the removal of a wireless link at my daughter's house and replaces with Cat 5 ethernet.  The speed to all 4 PCs at her house is the same so it appears not to have changed anything.  Both of locations use the Win XP firewall with an exception opened for the MSN application, and we are both behind D-Link routers. 
06-01-2006 01:11 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: