What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Automatically logs me off when gaming

Automatically logs me off when gaming
Author: Message:
hos

– / Male / –
O.P. Automatically logs me off when gaming
Hello all,

When I run an online video game with MSN messenger running, the game comes on the screen BUT it automatically turns off MSN messenger?

The only thing that I've done differently is that I now have 2 hotmail accounts that I easily keep track of before I log in to MSN.  But, both accounts will still make me log off when I run an online game.

I went to one support forums who said to delete the previous msn.  I did that then downloaded it again.  but it still closes itsself down when i run an online game.   I tried a few different options like checking the box to "show me as away" and "show me as busy" when i open a program like an online game...but it still closes MSN when i open any game.  don't know.  it didn't do this when I only had one msn hotmail account.  i currently have 2.

It used to let me run MSN concurrently with an online game.  Any suggestions on a fix would be appreciated.  I tried the polygamy patch but I couldn't get it to work for some reason.

Thanks for your time.

This post was edited on 06-04-2006 at 09:01 PM by hos.
06-03-2006 06:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
RE: Automatically logs me off!
Have you tried removing the Patch? Maybe thats the cause.

To remove the Patch
-Download it and run it again
-And restore Settings.
06-03-2006 06:47 AM
hos

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Automatically logs me off!
Well, I deleted the previous version.  I'm now using 7.5.0311

It keeps giving me the pop up window to "update to new version" so I assume I currently have an older version (and not patched per your request.)  But I still can't join an online game without it turning off still.

I'm not sure how to "restore" my files.  Any guidance on how to do that would be great.

I also tried some older versions like 6.xxx and lower but that didn't work either.  Thanks for trying.  Don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what.  Strange that this started after I starting switching between 2 hotmail accounts in my MSN messenger.  Don't know if that's the reason or not.

This post was edited on 06-03-2006 at 08:19 AM by hos.
06-03-2006 08:19 AM
hos

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Automatically logs me off when gaming
I'm now using the MSN Messenger 8.0 beta and it still closes msn when I enter the load up screen for a game. 

Could it be some sort of firewall issue? 
06-04-2006 09:02 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Automatically logs me off when gaming
quote:
Originally posted by hos
Could it be some sort of firewall issue?
What firewall are you using?

I doubt it's that though.

What do you mean by an 'online game', like on a website, or an actual program? Any examples?
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
06-04-2006 09:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
hos

– / Male / –
I use AVG firewall.

When I say "game," I'm refering to an online multiplayer video game like Call of Duty, Battlefield 2, etc. 

MSN messenger is on, but then when I start the game, MSN sees that another program is on so it closes itsself down.  Under MSN mesenger "options" under the "personal" tab, I have it checked to go "busy" when "running a full program." 

So, it's supposed to turn from online to "busy," not turn isself off.  It was always fine until I started using 2 hotmail accounts with MSN messenger.  But, I don't see why that would matter since both have identical options enabled/disabled.

Thanks for any help or suggestions. :)
06-04-2006 09:37 PM
Reload2

-> The second Reload <-

31 / Male / –
RE: Automatically logs me off when gaming
Try deleting your temporary internet files and messenger cache. It may help :)
06-04-2006 09:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
hos

– / Male / –
Yes Reload, i deleted all that in IE and Mozilla.

Then I tried connecting to the multiplayer game via the ingame browser instead of using a 3rd party program called HLSW.

I noticed that msn didn't automatically log off when I joined a game using the browser, but msn DID log me off when I used HLSW.  I tried to add HLSW to my list of "trusted" sites on my firewall but that didn't help.

So, for now, I tried the msn checkbox for "always log on to msn" on the opening screen and that seems to force it to stay logged on even when a program opens that takes over the computer and msn doesn't log itsself off.

Not sure what the correalation is between me starting to use 2 msn accounts and HLSW.  Oh well.  Thanks for the assistance and I'll just leave my msn on all the time until I can find a better solution.

:)
06-05-2006 07:17 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: