What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Question] Any way I can get a Winsock ActiveXObject working ?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
[Question] Any way I can get a Winsock ActiveXObject working ?
Author: Message:
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: RE: [Question] Any way I can get a Winsock ActiveXObject working ?
quote:
Originally posted by Matty
quote:
Originally posted by Pai
Doesn't seem to work here |:

code:
function Test()
{
var ws = new ActiveXObject( "MSWinsock.Winsock.1" );
return 'abc';
}
doesn't return anything

code:
function Test()
{
//var ws = new ActiveXObject( "MSWinsock.Winsock.1" );
return 'abc';
}
returns 'abc'

Any ideas ? |:
Well when you use return "abc" your saying the return value of the function is "abc".

How about trying this :
code:

function Test(){
    var ws = new ActiveXObject( "MSWinsock.Winsock.1" );
    return ws.LocalIP;
}

What? No, when you use return 'abc' you return the string 'abc'. return abc; would attempt to return the function pointer. 8-)
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
06-07-2006 06:57 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pai

w00t !

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: [Question] Any way I can get a Winsock ActiveXObject working ?
quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:
Originally posted by Pai
PS2: How can I find out for sure what ActiveXObjects I have installed in my system ? Or a way to find out which Objects I have, because I'm starting to think that something went wrong when I installed XP and the winsock object didn't got installed :X
I use ActiveX manager

I downloaded and installed ActiveX Manager 1.4 (thanks -dt-) and I have Microsoft Winsock Control 6.0 (SP6), tho in the version column appears as 1.0, installed and registered and it's ProgID is "MSWinsock.Winsock.1" ... So according to Cookie's explanation my correct ActiveXObject would be "MSWinsock.Winsock", or even "MSWinsock.Winsock.1" (just for the sake of making the damn script work :x)...

But guess what ... it doesn't work |:

Does anyone have a little idea of what's going on and what I'm missing ? :(

Thanks!
06-07-2006 11:39 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: [Question] Any way I can get a Winsock ActiveXObject working ?
I'm sorry I can't help you much with this object as I'm not used to it, however, what I can do is give you the translation of the first error you got:

-2147221230 : Class is not licensed for use
That means that the object was registered as needing some kind of license key to run.
[Image: signature2.gif]
06-07-2006 08:50 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pai

w00t !

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: [Question] Any way I can get a Winsock ActiveXObject working ?
Why the hell does my Winsock ActiveX need a license and noone else needs it ? :S

And is there any way to "reinstall" winsock ?

Also, this might be a problem for scripts that use this ActiveX, as there might be other people that have the same problem as I :(
06-07-2006 08:54 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Certain ActiveX objects (even general ones) come only with certain programs you install in Windows. But not all of these ActiveX objects can be used by 3rd party developpers.

It is only when you install a legit development packet, for example, Visual Studio, Visual Basic, etc, that many ActiveX objects will recieve a design-time license so they can be used by 3rd party developpers (aka: you).

Now, if for any reason these ActiveX objects were installed after you have installed a development packet, the ActiveX objects will not recieve their design-time license update. If they were already installed on the system prior to installing the development packet, then they will recieve their design-time license.

You can try to fix this by reading the following KB's:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/181854/EN-US/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/194751/EN-US/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177799/EN-US/

This post was edited on 06-08-2006 at 12:18 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-08-2006 12:05 PM
Pai

w00t !

– / Male / –
Thank you Cookie, I actually use Borland Delphi so I figure the license would already be installed ... Also, I can import Winsock through the ActiveX import wizard, but when I try to use it it says "License information for TWinsock not found." so that confirms your ideia.

Also after googling a bit I found this site that contains a fix for this, but I need VB installed for it to work, which I don't have nor intend to ...

Well, the bigger issue in this for me isn't that I won't be able to use winsock in my scripts, but other scripts that use it and when they are released to the general public people like me will have problems with them (considering that the percentage of developers that have the necessary licenses to use the script will be small)...
06-08-2006 02:58 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [Question] Any way I can get a Winsock ActiveXObject working ?
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
True, however, remember that Messenger Plus! Live cannot run on anything below Windows XP, this means that you can happily use any object that comes with XP without worrying about backward compatibility (just make sure you don't use objects installed by the SP2 or make sure your script displays appropriate errors to the user).
This doesn't automatically mean you can use any ActiveX object you have or which comes with XP though... In fact, only a very few ActiveX objects come nativly with XP which everybody can use without any restrictions. All other ActiveX objects are installed with SDK's like Visual Studio and the likes.

quote:
Originally posted by Pai
Also after googling a bit I found this site that contains a fix for this, but I need VB installed for it to work, which I don't have nor intend to ...
the stuff talked about in that thread is exactly a part of what is said in the KB articles I linked to.

quote:
Originally posted by Pai
Well, the bigger issue in this for me isn't that I won't be able to use winsock in my scripts, but other scripts that use it and when they are released to the general public people like me will have problems with them (considering that the percentage of developers that have the necessary licenses to use the script will be small)...
yep, this is exactly why I said that developpers should be very carefully in using ActiveX objects in my first posts (even those who seem to be 'general' and wide spread) and not automatically assuming that if they have them installed, everybody has them installed.

There is nothing you can do about this unless you obtain a license for them (thru installing a legit licensed development package).

This post was edited on 06-08-2006 at 04:44 PM by CookieRevised.
06-08-2006 04:21 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
If you want to use Winsock you can always use Interop calls or create a quick ActiveX yourself to be used by the script. That shouldn't be too much of a problem :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
06-08-2006 05:22 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pai

w00t !

– / Male / –
Right, but that is way too much trouble if you can just find a way to get the Winsock ActiveX to work..

After googling for the afternoon, I found the solution ! This page offers the download of a file that fixes the winsock issue.

So, I managed to fix my problem, but this whole ActiveX stuff not working in every PC is really "bad for business" for script developers |:

Moderator edit: links removed

This post was edited on 06-08-2006 at 09:17 PM by Tochjo.
06-08-2006 07:22 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
May I strongly note that the file offered by that page is illegal!
It is not allowed to distribute license keys...
If it was allowed I simply could have told you the license key myself in the first place (and many other keys for that matter). It isn't a fix at all.
06-08-2006 07:33 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: