What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » FIXED THNX: WLM final corrupt install? (+screenshots) [help please?]

FIXED THNX: WLM final corrupt install? (+screenshots) [help please?]
Author: Message:
Jellings

34 / Male / –
O.P. FIXED THNX: WLM final corrupt install? (+screenshots) [help please?]
FIXED THANKS (left here in case other people have the same problem)

I downloaded the WLM final install from the link at mess.be, and whenever i try to install it i get the following error:

[Image: 152ewr6.jpg]

I then tried unextracting it with winrar and got another message telling me it is corrupt:

[Image: 152ewyf.jpg]

This is not the first time i've got an error like this, this kept happening with the newest version of Nero 7 Premium (in the end i just gave up and used a lower version)

[b]If someone could help that would be awesome cause i use WLM all the time and i'd really like to be able to get the final version (because i'm guessing that soon updating to the final version with be compulsary?)

Thanks in advance

~Jellings

This post was edited on 06-20-2006 at 10:10 AM by Jellings.
[Image: Jellings.png]

[Image: ++++-+Click+Here+-.png]
06-20-2006 09:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: WLM final corrupt install? (+screenshots)
The problem most likely is a corrupt download or indeed a too low diskspace. To fix the latter, make some room free on your HD first....

Make sure you download files properly:
- Turn off so called internet accelerators or download accelerators
- make sure your browser cache is completely cleared before downloading
- don't interrupt the downloading process until the file has actually completely finished.
- Also, try to turn of on-the-fly virusscanners and other anti-malware stuff. It could be that they are interfearing with downloading stuff properly.

If the problem persists, check your internet settings...

And/or check your Windows Installer (do this by making sure you have all the latest updates, fixes and patches for Windows XP).

Thus another reason can be that Your Windows Installer is corrupt (though not likely seeing the errors on the screenshot): For more details about that see: "CookieRevised's reply to problem installing messenger" and further.

This post was edited on 06-20-2006 at 10:25 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-20-2006 09:58 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
RE: WLM final corrupt install? (+screenshots)
Try deleting your temperary file. C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp.
If that doesnt help your disk space is less. So delete some file to install messenger :)

Edit: Download it from http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

This post was edited on 06-20-2006 at 10:00 AM by Felu.
06-20-2006 09:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jellings

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: WLM final corrupt install? (+screenshots) [help please?]
Downloaded it fromhttp://get.live.com/messenger/overview and i when installing i don't get the error.

Only thing is that the file i downloaded from the above link is a different size (14.5MB instead of 15.3MB) and is called "Install_Messenger_nous.exe" not "Install_Messenger.exe"

anyone know what's with that?

06-20-2006 10:09 AM
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
RE: WLM final corrupt install? (+screenshots) [help please?]
quote:
Originally posted by Jellings
Downloaded it fromhttp://get.live.com/messenger/overview and i when installing i don't get the error.

Only thing is that the file i downloaded from the above link is a different size (14.5MB instead of 15.3MB) and is called "Install_Messenger_nous.exe" not "Install_Messenger.exe"

Simple the first file you installed wasnt official but the second one is ;).
06-20-2006 10:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: WLM final corrupt install? (+screenshots) [help please?]
quote:
Originally posted by -!Felu!-
quote:

they both can be official...

Depending on where you download the files from (provided you download them from official sites of course), you'll get a different setup. eg: you will have a different file when you download messenger from the main official site than when you download it from MS's download center. The one on the download center usually contains a bootstrapper too and thus is bigger.

So, not only does the language play a part in this, also there are different setups for different situations.

This post was edited on 06-20-2006 at 10:21 AM by CookieRevised.
06-20-2006 10:19 AM
Jellings

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: RE: WLM final corrupt install? (+screenshots) [help please?]
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by -!Felu!-
quote:

they both are official...

Depending on where you download the files from (provided you download them from official sites of course), you'll get a different setup. eg: you will have a different file when you download messenger from the main official site than when you download it from MS's download center. The one on the download center usually contains a bootstrapper too and thus is bigger.

So, not only does the language play a part in this, also there are different setups for different situations.

Thank you, i understand now. *note to self - always download from official site instead of direct links*

06-20-2006 10:21 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: FIXED THNX: WLM final corrupt install? (+screenshots) [help please?]
Yep, but still.... the files can be different in filesize, yet the installed program itself will be the same. More info and an example of that here: CookieRevised's reply to MSN Messenger d/l link...

Especially note
quote:
(...)
on both sites it could happen that you come across:
blahblahDL.exe => Installer without InstMsi.exe
InstMsi.exe is the Windows Installer needed to install those MSI packages. It automatically checks/updates/whatever the Windows Installer.
(...)

It might well be possible that one of those two official files was one without the Windows Installer. Usuallly, the file you can download from Microsoft's Download Center is the biggest and "most complete" as it contains all the needed files to install a product. Whereas the files you download from main sites of the programs are often preselected to be installed on certain systems with certain updates only (and thus are in general smaller).

This post was edited on 06-20-2006 at 10:31 AM by CookieRevised.
06-20-2006 10:26 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: