What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Quality of Live Messenger ADs!

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Quality of Live Messenger ADs!
Author: Message:
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Quality of Live Messenger ADs!
quote:
Originally posted by -!Felu!-
quote:
Originally posted by M73A
does using a patch muck up the shared folders?

thanks...
Nope... But you can just remove the Sharing Folders button from the main window. Not from My Computer.

nono i dont wanna remove the folders or anyhting, just the last patched i used got detected by msn or something and the folders never synchronized... so they were broke because of the patch:P i just wondered if a patch did this aswell (cause that happened with the messpatch...

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
06-21-2006 06:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
fergofrog

31 / Male / –
HaHa i've never seen those adds. I always get e-bay, cars.com, and Emicon and Theme pack adds. HaHaHa i think microsoft puts those adds judging on what you talk about, what were you talking about.
[Image: fergofrog.png][Image: repute.gif]
06-21-2006 08:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by fergofrog
HaHaHa i think microsoft puts those adds judging on what you talk about, what were you talking about.
Microsoft doesnt see your conversation as its private :dodgy:.
06-21-2006 08:57 AM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Very odd and funny, so much in fact I made a news post on them :P.

View it here
06-21-2006 09:29 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Quality of Live Messenger ADs!
quote:
Originally posted by The Pro
Surely.... you musnt have noticed

To be honest, when i saw the soccer balls ad... my first thought was that  i must have had some sypware installed, from somewhere and somehow, which were probably giving out all those ads. lol
tbh, that soccer ball add is IMO the least dodgy one.

"Do you have balls?" is a very common expression meaning "do you have the courage". There is absolutely nothing dodgy about it.

---

Also note that spyware is quite often NOT associated with ads. Spyware does almost always what the words suggests: it spies. This implies that it does not show itself and tries to hide as much as possible. This is contradicting against showing ads.

However, people wrongfully classify or associate adware with spyware, while these two are majorly different. When you see ads: you should not automatically think "I have spyware", as that is wrong, you should think "I have adware".

This would be the same as seeing a billboard on the street and automatically thinking that someone is watching your every move. Both things are totally different.

It are the many anti-spyware and anti-virus companies which actually feed this wrong association by putting everything on one big pile by flagging almost everything with the same stamp. And if they make a distinction it is quite often in such small letters that the user doesn't even notice it, all the user sees is: "WARNING - VERY MALICIOUS THING FOUND - ALERT"...

PS: Don't get me wrong though, I don't like adware either (indeed, I don't like the Plus! sponsor either). But I do know and understand the nessecity of it and I don't put everything on one big pile; adware is adware and spyware is spyware.

----------------------------------

quote:
quote:

thanks...
Nope... But you can just remove the Sharing Folders button from the main window. Not from My Computer.
- Yes, it does. However, when you patch your messenger with some popular patches, they also patch/disable the procedure which checks if anything is altered in the executable (AFAIK, didn't checked with newer builds).

- You can remove it from "My Computer", just as you can remove it from the folder view in Windows Explorer as it is just another shell extension like so many others (control panel, network, recycle bin, ...) Some registry editing must be done though.... (don't have the right keys at hand here)....

This post was edited on 06-21-2006 at 10:24 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-21-2006 10:12 AM
The Pro

Oblivion...

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Quality of Live Messenger ADs!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
PS: Don't get me wrong though, I don't like adware either (indeed, I don't like the Plus! sponsor either). But I do know and understand the nessecity of it and I don't put everything on one big pile; adware is adware and spyware is spyware.

Jeez! Sorry! I'm pretty sure i was thinking of 'adware', even though i put the word 'Spyware'. I just edited it saying adware, so atleast other ppl might not get offended :P
[Image: sig.gif]
06-21-2006 10:49 AM
Reload2

-> The second Reload <-

31 / Male / –
Or simply remove it from My Computer with Mess Patch

This post was edited on 06-21-2006 at 11:28 AM by Reload2.
06-21-2006 11:27 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by The Pro
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Jeez! Sorry! I'm pretty sure i was thinking of 'adware', even though i put the word 'Spyware'. I just edited it saying adware, so atleast other ppl might not get offended :P
No worries and I (nor anyone else I think) was not offended at all  though... just pointing out (in too many words as usuall :p:D) that it is indeed important to get it right in such cases. Exactly because how other people, who don't know the difference, might read it ;) (Y)

This post was edited on 06-21-2006 at 11:30 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-21-2006 11:29 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
quote:
quote:

thanks...

nono i dont wanna remove the folders or anyhting, just the last patched i used got detected by msn or something and the folders never synchronized... so they were broke because of the patch:P i just wondered if a patch did this aswell (cause that happened with the messpatch...

The new MessPatch that works with the final WLM doesn't screw up the Sharing folders anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by Mess.be
- Lots of you are gonna enjoy hearing this: Patching Messenger doesn't stop you from sharing folders anymore.

Go download it quick! http://mess.be/
[Image: jumbled.png]
06-21-2006 03:52 PM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
they are personalized ads
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
06-21-2006 04:08 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: