What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » msn messenger chat history

msn messenger chat history
Author: Message:
justinprometheus

O.P. msn messenger chat history
Recently, my computer crashed  and I lost all my msn messenger chat history which I did not back up.  I am wondering if msn network or microsoft keeps a copy of the chat history on its server.   I know phone companys keep old text messages from each cell phone user on their servers.  Is it possible to retrieve the lost chat history logs from msn's remote servers? thanks 
08-19-2011 03:28 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: msn messenger chat history
Your phone provider does not store text messages (imagine how much space would be required for how many texts are sent in a day.) Microsoft doesn't remotely store your chat history. If you have Messenger Plus! and a MyPlus! account you can log your chats and have them stored remotely but if you hadn't set this up there is no way to recover the chats.

Now assuming you haven't installed Windows on the same hard drive you could always connect it and run a program like Recuva to try and recover the data.

This post was edited on 08-19-2011 at 12:32 PM by matty.
08-19-2011 12:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
justinprometheus

O.P. RE: msn messenger chat history
Thanks matty, another technical question, does chat history file saved locally contain information like ip address of the person I have chatted with? I know emails contain ip address of the sender computer or server, does msn messenger chat file have the same ability?
08-19-2011 03:08 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: msn messenger chat history
quote:
Originally posted by justinprometheus
Thanks matty, another technical question, does chat history file saved locally contain information like ip address of the person I have chatted with? I know emails contain ip address of the sender computer or server, does msn messenger chat file have the same ability?
No it does not.
08-19-2011 03:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: