What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Idea] Scripted dialogue Mail

[Idea] Scripted dialogue Mail
Author: Message:
Three6Mafia

HRA55 U

35 / Male / –
O.P. [Idea] Scripted dialogue Mail
Just an idea, everyone wants to send emails from a script...
why not try a similar idea, yet being able to check inbox and subfolders, send emails etc. etc. i personally cannot code this but its an idea based on VOLV's idea of sending emails through his script.

Aaron.
[Image: Three6Mafia.png]
06-28-2006 07:05 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
RE: [Idea] Scripted dialogue Mail
Why would you want to make an e-mail client inside Messenger? I think most people would prefer a stand-alone e-mail application on the desktop or on the web, instead of reading and sending e-mail inside Messenger.

On a more technical note, this would be very hard to do with Plus! scripting alone. Sending mails may be somewhat doable (1), but to receive and manage e-mails you'd need to build a complete storage system for it.

I think there's already a variety of e-mail clients available, adding another one would only cause more trouble when you use more than one. For example, how would you copy mails between the Messenger client and a different one? Outlook provides a bunch of export options, do you expect that the Messenger client can interpret all these as well?

In my opinion, it's too complex and totally not necessary. Why reinvent the wheel? ;)

(1) Sending mails using nothing but Plus! scripting is a pretty tough job, although there are alternatives. You could write a DLL to handle this, or use a remote server to send mails. This last method is how Volv's script works: the script sends a request to a remote PHP webserver which then uses its own SMTP server to send the message:
quote:
Originally posted by Volv »
The server-side script does nothing but redirect the received data to an SMTP server, unfortunately I can't provide you with anything other than my word but I promise that I do not log the emails being sent...
Since there's no need for any SMTP configurations on the client side, this makes the script easy to use. However, it's not practical when you want to make a serious e-mail client to be used daily, you need to send mails from the client side itself.
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
12-08-2010 06:11 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Three6Mafia
28-06-2006 02:05 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Matti
Today 01:11 PM
Really?!?
12-08-2010 08:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
God damnit, this thread got bumped up by a spam comment and I didn't check the date, thought this was a recent question... Spam comment got removed before I posted. Damn you, spam bots! :@

Ah well, let's just let this thread die once again... :P

Perhaps threads should be locked after x months of inactivity? Not only would this save us from the obvious spammers but it'd also stop people from (unwillingly) reviving threads. Just an idea though...
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
12-08-2010 10:37 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: