What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » How to get contact's display, while you are as "offline"?

How to get contact's display, while you are as "offline"?
Author: Message:
Tyler Durden

O.P. Undecided  How to get contact's display, while you are as "offline"?
Hi(Y),

You know that when you login as offline so your contacts won't see you, you can't get their Displays until you get online. Is there a way to get them while being as offline? Or better, where could I research this? Any information is very appreciated. ^o)

Thank you very much.
Good bye.
07-01-2006 04:52 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
adam.yao

36 / Male / –
RE: How to get contact's display, while you are as "offline"?
that is impossible
A Great Plus on Messenger!
07-01-2006 06:01 PM
Tyler Durden

O.P. RE: How to get contact's display, while you are as "offline"?
Uhu...

...why?

(thanks for replying thou).

or where can I research? (thanks for info)

This post was edited on 07-01-2006 at 06:34 PM by Tyler Durden.
07-01-2006 06:32 PM
Reload2

-> The second Reload <-

31 / Male / –
It is impossible due to how the messenger protocole is made
07-01-2006 06:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
If you are using Messenger Plus! Live you can do this with no problem. Right Click the contact select Messenger Plus! Extras > Contact Information > Save this image...

Unless you mean something else...
07-01-2006 07:20 PM
Reload2

-> The second Reload <-

31 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Matty
If you are using Messenger Plus! Live you can do this with no problem. Right Click the contact select Messenger Plus! Extras > Contact Information > Save this image...

Unless you mean something else...
That's the display picture that's cached. I'm sure he means their new display picture.

Edit: I'm a senior member! :bananaxmas:

This post was edited on 07-01-2006 at 07:26 PM by Reload2.
07-01-2006 07:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Tyler Durden

Thank Reload2, do you know where could I research about the protocol?

And yes Matty I meant something else slightly different: The thing is I have this contact that switches Display constantly and I want to save them while I'm conected as "Offline", But when I start messenger and while being as "Offline" I connect, my contact's Displays won't be cached at my computer until I changed my status to Online. So what I want is to know what "message" is sent to "get" de contact's Display to see if I "can" send it as offline. Am I being clear? if not please tell me and I'll try to explain myself in a different way. Thanks

And yes Reload2 I mean the new display. thanks for answering.

But then another question:

- ¿Why do other Instant Messengers can do that? For example until recentlly, with Gaim I recall I could be able to do that: I could login as "Invisible or offline" and My online contact's Display or (Buddy Icon) would be cached, even better, Gaim comes with a "Save image as..." .png (or .gif, .jpg) dialog. Now that I installed it, it doesn't seem to work, actually I can't get any display I don't know if it's me or the new version is buggy or if it's something else, but It could be done -I'm guessing- with that same msn protocol, I also think it got's nothing to do with the new Live Messenger 'cause I know most of my contacts doesn't know about it yet.

So if anyone could share info about how those IM's where implemented, that could help. Thanks ahead.

Congrats about the senior title :)

This post was edited on 07-01-2006 at 09:00 PM by Tyler Durden.
07-01-2006 09:00 PM
Tyler Durden

Alright, problem half solved in certain way. At least for me. I checked again in the Scripts site and there are now two of those Display (DP) "Stealers" (don't actually steal but takes the image frome caché). The good news for me is that with the "Send message offline" new feautre, now I can open a chat window -that displays the contact's image- even if I'm as "offline" or the contact's is offline, which is way better from what I was expecting. And then there I can "steal" the Display picture.

What I don't like is that it only updates your MyDisplay value to the path of the other contact's display, and it only shows the image, 'cause what I really want is to save the image in my HD.

I was developing the script but now I just need to takes the code for saving from someone else and put it in mine, If I succed I'll make it available.

Cheers

This is an awesome board. (Y)
07-02-2006 12:20 AM
Tyler Durden

Ok it's partially done, but to be honest I think I won't have the time to make the script available for everyone. Right now it's just personal, it's save just for one of my contacts in special who's e-mail is hardcoded in the script and make the whole GUI to chose a cotact and blah blah blah will just take me too long as I'm a newbie :s

And yet I still want to know if it's not really possible to get the Display picture of a contact while I'm "offline". If someone could just help with that, just tell me how or where to search and then I might think in the possibility to make the decnent script, which is rather simple, I didn't have to take others' code I made it myself. It was fun learning. I would put a lot more contect in the Plus! Scrip Documentation Thou. Like: how to make a menu, how to make basic controls in the Windows (xml) thing, or how to open a broswer dialog, or even save a file, but well...

If anyone knows about info of how to get (cached) a Contact's Display while one is as "Offline", please! please!! let me know. (If that could be accomplished then the "steal display" would be a little more accurated title for this script, just a bit).

Thanks

This post was edited on 07-02-2006 at 04:29 AM by Tyler Durden.
07-02-2006 04:24 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: