What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Building a custom computer

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Building a custom computer
Author: Message:
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Building a custom computer
I need help choosing pieces for my computer
Alright, not so long ago I made a thread about the computer I was getting and etc. Well now is that time again, except this time I'm building my own. I want to stay within a $900 CAD budget.

I already have:
  • DVD-RAM Drive (no other drive needed)
  • Disk drive (No other drive Needed)
  • Memory card Drive (No other drive needed)
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Speakers + Bass (works on 5.1 sound card)
  • Microphone
  • Monitors (yes 2. So if I get a new gfx card, it must support duel screens)
  • Windows XP (So don't include windows or programs at all in this. Only hardware)

I need a case, but I can get that on my own, so forget about it.

I'm not going Intel this time. I want an amd 64. I just don't know which one I'll need.

The ones I can get are here.

I'll need a motherboard to go with it.

I've got two hard drives already. Not sata. But it isn't a problem to buy sata drives (which would obviously be better).

My current gfx card is: Radeon 9600 Pro (128 mb)

I might keep the card, IF it works with:
1. CS:S
2. The motherboard I'll be getting

(So please tell me if it works with CS:S decently, and if it does, then try to choose a motherboard that it will work with) The card is agp.

Recap:
  • Mother board (NOT DUAL CORE) (Try to let it accept things other than sata hard drives, but if you can't it's okay)
  • Gfx card or not (depends on above conditions
  • No drives are needed
  • Don't shop for a case, I can get that on my own
  • I need to know what sized power supply I will need
  • Sound card (5.1 is fine)
  • AMD Athlon 64 cpu. (NOT DUAL CORE)
  • 4 Ram slots are needed on the motherboard!!!! (should be able to run duel)
  • I'll need a power supply able to control everything
  • I'll need to keep the computer cool using fans or something (I'd like opinions on SILENT cooling systems;))

NOTE: Changes may be made to this post, so check back regularly!

Thank you all for your help:)

Change Log:
Added Number of Ram slots needed
Added notice about ram (should be able to run duel)
Added cooling system and Power supply information
Added Silent cooling systems note

This post was edited on 07-01-2006 at 02:29 AM by Lou.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
06-30-2006 12:15 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: Building a custom computer
well... although you probably remembered about RAM, but didnt post it, I would reccomend 2 512mb <or if you can, one of 1gb or even more..> Ram sticks

EDIT:
haha, you edited about RAM seconds before my post...

This post was edited on 06-30-2006 at 12:22 AM by Voldemort.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
06-30-2006 12:21 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
I want an amd 64. I just don't know which one I'll need. The ones I can get are here.
Since you already know what type of CPU you want (Athlon 64), the main outstanding decision is what speed you can afford.  If you have a fixed budget that you simply can not go over, then you can choose the other components first and see how much you have left.

The only other issue to consider is the type of socket.  It obviously needs to match the motherboard you choose and if it doesn't make a huge difference, you should choose the newer AM2. 

However, if it does end up a tough decision (either due to pricing or selection), I wouldn't have anything against the older socket 939 either.  This is an upgradibility consideration and people very rarely upgrade just the processor chip.  The platform will have changed again, before you will be ready for the next upgrade -- it's really not worth making that upgrade path a high priority.

quote:
I'll need a motherboard to go with it
I've never regretted sticking with Asus products; every time I've tried something else, I usually have regretted it. 

As somebody already mentioned, you will probably need new memory, too.  Once again, the more the better.  Less than 1GB shouldn't even be a consideration.  The type of memory should match your motherboard's requirements.   In most cases, you will want to buy your chosen amount as a matched set of two pieces (e.g. 2x512MB instead of one 1GB module), because most chipsets these days support dual channel operation -- or at least interleaving.

quote:
it isn't a problem to buy sata drives (which would obviously be better)
If your parallel ATA drives are not too old and large enough for your present needs, you want to use them and not waste money on new drives.  There is nothing "obviously better" about SATA drives just because they sport the SATA interface; in the end it comes down to the medium and drive mechanics. 

There are some high performance (and usually tiny capacity for the price) drives that fully benefit from the SATA interface, such as WD Raptor series -- but there also are dozens of mediocre, "capacity, not speed" oriented drives, often designed around older parallel ATA electronics, with an added bridge chip.  There is no benefit whatsoever from getting a SATA version of such a drive to replace a parallel ATA version.

quote:
Sound card (5.1 is fine)
You will probably get sound onboard and, if you choose a nice motherboard, it may be quite good and all you need.  I'd suggest at least trying it out before you spend more money on a card.

As for the cards, if you really want one, I think Creative is the only remaining serious option for gamers.  There are others  that would be of interest to musicians and people working with digital recording, but most everything else probably won't be much better than the onboard sound.
06-30-2006 01:14 AM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Building a custom computer
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
what speed you can afford.
I'll probably do as you said and select the other items first. I'd like to know though, what is faster, socket 939 or am2?
quote:
I've never regretted sticking with Asus products
My uncle is working with me on this one, and he is like an asus fan:P
quote:
If your parallel ATA drives are not too old
I got both of the two 80gb drives this year and the last. As long as the motherboard supports them, I'm keeping them. Although my uncle is also a SATA fan:P But he told me earlier that if I get a motherboard sortof like his, it'll be able to support both. Either way, I'll reformat both these drives to start off anew, and other reasons not related to this thread.
quote:
You will probably get sound onboard
The soundcard thing was only if the motherboard didn't have onboard sound. I've seen motherboards with onboard 7.1 sound tbh:P

Thanks for the info:) I hope cookie replies.lol
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
06-30-2006 01:22 AM
Adeptus

quote:
I got both of the two 80gb drives this year and the last. As long as the motherboard supports them, I'm keeping them.
If that's enough capacity and you wouldn't be spending money on a specialized high performance drive anyway, it might even be economical to buy a parallel ATA controller card if you somehow end up with a motherboard that doesn't have it.  Those cards are rather cheap.

quote:
I hope cookie replies
I have no doubt that he will.
06-30-2006 01:39 AM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
If budget is your concern, i'd stay with socket 940. Its slightly older but is still decent and will support your ide hard drives if you want to keep them (all the am2 boards i looked at have one ide channel, which will probably be used by your dvd drives.)

My favorite place to shop is Canada Computers I'm not sure if they have a location near you and they probably dont have the absolute lowest prices, but since theres a retail outlet near me i prefer that site over shopping over the internet.
06-30-2006 01:39 AM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
shopping over the internet.
I'm checking the prices from the link I gave earlier, which was from the place where I went to buy my video card, which is on site. I don't believe they ship anyway:P
Messenger Stuff Forums
06-30-2006 01:47 AM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
Right now, you will see minimal differences between 939 and am2, am2 would be future-proofing yourself though. (ie, when Quad core comes around, you just plop one in.)
06-30-2006 03:02 AM
haol1

My new computer!!!!!

Use should look on the internet and see what are the best pieces there are for thecomputer you are making.
06-30-2006 09:29 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by haol1
Use should look on the internet and see what are the best pieces there are for thecomputer you are making.
Please, that's not what I asked. I didn't ask for advice where to buy the pieces. Just what pieces I should buy.

This post was edited on 06-30-2006 at 11:58 PM by Lou.
Messenger Stuff Forums
06-30-2006 11:58 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: