What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Different nicks for different contact-groups

Different nicks for different contact-groups
Author: Message:
sindrefj

– / Male / –
O.P. Different nicks for different contact-groups
Hi, I got a little suggestion which is really the only thing I miss in Messenger (and Plus).

On my MSN, I got two types of people. I got the ones I know in real life, and I got the ones I know trough the internet.
What I really would like, is to be shown with different nicks for the different groups.

For instance:
For my online gaming-group, I would like to be shown as "Xterminator | CPL is going to be so great!" (all the contact in that particular group would then see me with that nick on MSN) and for my Friends-group, I would like to be shown as "Mike - Party tomorrow?".

I hope you understood what I meant, and if you didn't, tell me what you didn't understand and I'll try to explain deeper.

This is a feature I really would like to see in the next version of Plus! Live, so I hope it's possible to develop it.

Best regards,

Sindre Fjeldstad
07-01-2006 07:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
upsfeup

RE: Different nicks for different contact-groups
I don't believe that this can be done. Nicknames are global and not contact dependent.

You send you nickname to the server that then sends it back to all your contacts. You can't choose what to send in contact specific basis.
07-01-2006 09:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Aslong as Windows Live Messenger itself does not allow use of two different nicks at the same time with the same account this won't be possible.

What is possible is to get a different Live ID (formerly .NET passport) and add one group of persons to one and the others to the second and use different nicks that way. Now with the built in polygamy of Plus!Live (Plus > Preferences > Messenger > Main) you can already log into several accounts simultaneously.

This post was edited on 07-01-2006 at 09:27 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
07-01-2006 09:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Aslong as Windows Live Messenger itself does not allow use of two different nicks at the same time with the same account this won't be possible.
Technically, it is actually possible, but only in conversations, and not without another add-on that hooks deep into Messenger to change the 'Chat-Only Name' (using the SPNG term for want of better).
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-01-2006 11:54 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Technically, it is actually possible, but only in conversations, and not without another add-on that hooks deep into Messenger to change the 'Chat-Only Name' (using the SPNG term for want of better).
I believe the thing asked for here is to show different names on contacts contactlist..not in conversations. Afterall a "ChatOnly name" will only be visible after a conversation is initiated. Also a "ChatOnly Name" then will again be set for all conversations as i've not seen one wich can filter out certain contacts/groups.

This post was edited on 07-02-2006 at 12:03 AM by Sunshine.
07-02-2006 12:00 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Hence why I said
quote:
only in conversations
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-02-2006 12:07 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Hence why I said
quote:
only in conversations

Why start about "ChatOnly name" if first poster doesn't request this? By doing this you might confuse the first poster.
07-02-2006 12:10 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: