What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Request]What Stuffplug will not have anymore...

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
[Request]What Stuffplug will not have anymore...
Author: Message:
tbcat

O.P. [Request]What Stuffplug will not have anymore...
As many must already know the popular plugin stuffplug is going to release a new version for WLM 8 (now not as a plus plugin but as an independent program), however it was announced that both closed windows and open windows notifier will not be anymore...

That's because it worked with "when a user begin his connection with other user" and "when a user finish his connection with other user", and that's not neccesary when a user open or close a windows (for example if you see his space or his avatar the connection begins and if you donīt talk for a while, even without closing the window, the connection is finished)

However, as you can see in many msn forums, it was only a matter of getting used to it and to know it wasnīt 100% accurate... It was really useful anyway...

Is there a way (and someone who wants to do it ^_^) to make a script that notify when a connection with other user begins or finishes?

07-03-2006 11:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
DarkMe

Thx ins4ne for my av :p

31 / Male / –
RE: [Request]What Stuffplug will not have anymore...
I think it already exists thay have released it.

It's http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=685671

I think it's the script you search
[Image: darkme.png]
07-03-2006 11:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
tbcat

O.P. RE: [Request]What Stuffplug will not have anymore...
Now I see there were many topics about this :P

But the link you put was only a joke script that only opened the alert when YOU opened a window :P

Has someone made a "connection stablished/lost" script that really worked? (the name is because I donīt want to argue with people who say that it doesnīt work, because I understand what they say, but I want it all the same XD)

07-04-2006 03:01 AM
DeatzoSeol

Many Many many people ask for it.
It doesn't work, and will never work.
So, I don't think this feature will ever come back. And I don't expect that there will be someone out there friendly enough to reintroduce it...*-)
Face it.8-|

This post was edited on 07-04-2006 at 07:15 AM by DeatzoSeol.
07-04-2006 07:12 AM
tbcat

It worked its way... But I donīt want to make this topic a war between people who say it worked and people who donīt (that's why I asked for a "connection stablished/lost script" and not a "open/closed windows script" ^_^)
07-04-2006 07:27 AM
DeatzoSeol

Yeah, i know it worked, it did work sometimes for me too - often enough to make it acceptably reliable to me.
However, if you search the forums of Stuffplug for example: such requests made all developers so angry they decided to never reintroduce it again ;)
Face it, no one is gonna waste their breath to that:(

This post was edited on 07-04-2006 at 07:45 AM by DeatzoSeol.
07-04-2006 07:44 AM
icepick66

Uhh Radiation

34 / Male / –
if 2 people had the same program, the program could send a silent message to the other persont that thay have opend the window, and if they other person has that program, itll disaplay it as a toast, saying...

babab@hot.com has opend a windows with you
[Image: icepickquiet.jpg]
07-04-2006 01:00 PM
tbcat

But that's not the idea... even that script existed less than 1% of your contact list would have it :(

And I donīt understand why if so many people ask for it somebody would not do it... but well, I will try to see if I can do it myself (I dunno XD)

I even had a few ideas how to make it A BIT more reliable, for example, if 1 o 2 minutes passed between the last messege, desactivate the "connection lost" notify... This way most "automatic connection finished" would not give a false "close window" notify... It wouldnīt be 100% accurate either, I know, but well... It's an improvement...

About the "connection stablished" notify, you always have the "contact is writing a message" message to know if the other contact really had opened the window and is going to talk with you... Although this donīt work if the other opened the window but wasnīt going to talk with you (yeah there are crazy people out there XD), so I wouldnīt make the script to wait for that...

(please donīt make this topic a war about "if it work" or "why would someone use it" or "nobody is going to do it", there are just too many topics about that in the forum. Instead make this topic a topic to talk about the script itself and how to make it the best we can for people who want it... And about people who think it's useless, just try to think this topic as a lot of crazy people talking about useless things but happy about that :P)

This post was edited on 07-04-2006 at 05:58 PM by tbcat.
07-04-2006 05:56 PM
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
Anyway it's just not reliable. The feature can't be trusted, but if it was reliable I would have used it. :)
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
07-04-2006 06:02 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [Request]What Stuffplug will not have anymore...
quote:
Originally posted by tbcat
And I donīt understand why if so many people ask for it somebody would not do it...
several reasons, but the main one would be that many people (the majority) will interpret the function of such a plugin/addon/script in the wrong way. And there is nothing more frustarting than explaning to people again and again how things work. So in the end, most developpers simply don't even want to talk about it anymore, let alone make something like that or make it public.

quote:
I even had a few ideas how to make it A BIT more reliable, for example, if 1 o 2 minutes passed between the last messege, desactivate the "connection lost" notify... This way most "automatic connection finished" would not give a false "close window" notify... It wouldnīt be 100% accurate either, I know, but well... It's an improvement...
The time-outs for the sessions are somewhat known, but MS has changed them from time to time. Making something that will ignore everything after x minutes will not be good because:
a) the timeout could actually be less than those x minutes for all you know (only those who are very familiar with the protocol know the timeout value; aka don't guess such stuff, research it).
b) no end of session will be reported back after the x minutes, even if the end of session was caused by the contact itself

You can argue that it would notify the user and it would always be accurate if you implemented your own time-out after x minutes. Although this is true, it would not be as usefull and accurate as when you actually use the real timeout. Not to mention that without knowing the real time-out, all you still do is guessing (but this time guessing what the time-out might be).

quote:
About the "connection stablished" notify, you always have the "contact is writing a message" message to know if the other contact really had opened the window and is going to talk with you... Although this donīt work if the other opened the window but wasnīt going to talk with you (yeah there are crazy people out there XD), so I wouldnīt make the script to wait for that...
That message can also easly be disabled with many patches btw.

quote:
talk about the script itself and how to make it the best we can for people who want it...
best way? Study the protocol and stick to it. Don't implement stuff which is guessed or which needs interpretations.

quote:
And about people who think it's useless, just try to think this topic as a lot of crazy people talking about useless things but happy about that :P)
The subject of the topic is serious enough to debate about it. This is still and always will be a serious forum where in the first place support is given and thus where information needs to be posted as accurate as possible without the possebility of misconceptions.

------

To make what you want, start by studying the protocol. Info about the protocol or links to it (and sessions in particular) can be found on many messenger related sites. (PS: not many people can deal with the protocol. This means something: it isn't easy to get it right!! success...)... After that, study how packet sniffers work.

This post was edited on 07-04-2006 at 07:18 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-04-2006 06:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: