What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Changing the build of WLM

Changing the build of WLM
Author: Message:
Poom

Ya-Ha!!!!

33 / Male / –
O.P. Changing the build of WLM
Does anybody know an easy way to change the build of WLM? Not really chaning anything except the build number. I remember there was a tool to do this somewhere in this forum, but I could not find it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
07-04-2006 03:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Changing the build of WLM
[url=http://www.heaventools.com/download.htm]PE Explorer can help you change it, I done it a while back. It's quite a powerful tool though, so it may take a while to find the correct section to edit the build number :).

I can't comment on the tool that was going around this forum, I haven't seen it before. :)
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
07-04-2006 08:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Poom

Ya-Ha!!!!

33 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Changing the build of WLM
Thanks! Although I didn't want a heavy program installed (as I already have a lot), reading through makes me think that this may actually be a great program. =D Seems like I can now find why those DLL's are lying there and here now. Thanks very much.
07-04-2006 05:15 PM
Max

34 / Male / –
RE: Changing the build of WLM
Download Resource Hacker, open up msnmsgr.exe inside Resource Hacker and you can change the build number through there.
07-04-2006 05:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Poom

Ya-Ha!!!!

33 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Changing the build of WLM
It seems like PE Explorer is way too advanced for a semi-geek for me to use. >.> Well, I am lazy to start learning programming afterall. I'll try resource hacker then, as I've heard many use of it, but never gotten around to actually trying it.

Update: Yep, this works great. Still doesn't do what I want though.

This post was edited on 07-04-2006 at 06:23 PM by Poom.
07-04-2006 05:38 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Changing the build of WLM
quote:
Originally posted by Poom
It seems like PE Explorer is way too advanced for a semi-geek for me to use. >.> Well, I am lazy to start learning programming afterall.
Has not much (if not nothing) todo with programming though. You don't need to know one bit about programming to use it... it helps though...

PE Explorer has a resource editor build in. All the rest is of no interest atm.

quote:
Originally posted by Poom
I'll try resource hacker then, as I've heard many use of it, but never gotten around to actually trying it.

Update: Yep, this works great. Still doesn't do what I want though.
It does do what you want though, but you probably did something wrong :D.

The build number is located in the version resource of a file (almost always the last resource in the list). Edit that, recompile the resource table, save the file and you're done.

Note that a build number is stored in several places inside the version resource and each place has its own function. Editing the build number can have serious consequences for messenger itself, and/or for the addons working with it. Be carefull.

PS1: always, always, always make a backup of the file you're going to edit first... did I mention: always? ;)

PS2: PE Explorer lets you edit a few more fields in the version resource than ResHacker can though. But those 'extra' fields are almost always of no interest.

This post was edited on 07-04-2006 at 07:11 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-04-2006 07:06 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: