What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » You do not have an appropriate license to use this functionality

You do not have an appropriate license to use this functionality
Author: Message:
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. You do not have an appropriate license to use this functionality
I downloaded a PSP program, which uses an ActiveX control (COMDLG32.OCX). It was working fine earlier, then I ran one of those registry cleaners which probably messed it up. I sorted the errors, but I get an "You do not have an appropriate license to use this functionality" error when opening the program. The program wasn't installed, its just a stand alone program. I looked on Google, but nothing helped. I tried re-registering the .OCX but nothing worked. What can I do?
07-04-2006 06:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Val

30 / Other / Flag
RE: You do not have an appropriate license to use this functionality
Did you try deleting then downloading again?
Menthix:
Anonymous doesn\'t have a leader.
Anonymous is the leader of ShawnZ.

Max:
True. But deep down, we all know.
ShawnZ is incharge.
he is /b/ in human form.
07-04-2006 06:48 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: You do not have an appropriate license to use this functionality
Yup, but when I Googled the problem, ActiveX was the known cause.
07-04-2006 07:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: You do not have an appropriate license to use this functionality
quote:
Originally posted by ValSpy
Did you try deleting then downloading again?
deleting something and downloading it again has never worked for anything to fix something in the registry. Both actions (deleting/downloading and editing the registry) don't have anything todo with eachother...

@Reaper... the problem and solution has already been given on the forums not long ago... search with the term "license": CookieRevised's reply to "[Question] Any way I can get a Winsock ActiveXObject working ?"
EDIT: link is in public forum now

it was in the private forum (thanks Mike for noting)...  so I'll quote instead:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Certain ActiveX objects (even general ones) come only with certain programs you install in Windows. But not all of these ActiveX objects can be used by 3rd party developpers to make tools with them.

It is only when you install a legit development packet, for example Visual Studio, Visual Basic, etc, that many ActiveX objects will recieve a design-time license so they can be used by 3rd party developpers (aka: you).

Now, if for any reason these ActiveX objects were installed after you have installed a development packet, the ActiveX objects will not recieve their design-time license update. If they were already installed on the system prior to installing the development packet, then they will recieve their design-time license.

-------
ADDED: If registry keys got messed up or you accidently removed the licenses in the registry, you need to reinstall such development packages.

Note that such development license keys are illegal to redistribute! They come only with packages such as Visual Studio, Visual Basic, etc,
-------

You can also try to fix this by reading the following KB's:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/181854/EN-US/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/194751/EN-US/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177799/EN-US/

---

!!WARNING!!

Note that such "registry fixers" are tools which should only be used by people who exactly know what they are doing, what the registry keys are, and what registry cleaners actually do and how they work. Registry cleaners are not tools meant for the general public at all. They can be as dangerous as the format command! Never ever let a registry cleaner clean/fix your registry automatically under any circumstances. If you do not exactly know 500% certain what a certain listed registry key does, do not touch it and don't let it be touched by the cleaner; instead remove it from the "to fix" list.

It is also a myth that registry cleaners make your computer faster or whatever. In reality a few hundred kilobytes of unused keys and values causes no noticeable performance impact on system operation. Even if the registry was massively bloated there would be little impact on the performance of anything other than exhaustive searches. source.

--------------------------------------
EDIT: that private thread has been requested to be moved to public scripting forum for further reference.

This post was edited on 07-04-2006 at 08:46 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-04-2006 07:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: