What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Set dp without leaving it in 'change picture' list (aka break map.dat)

Set dp without leaving it in 'change picture' list (aka break map.dat)
Author: Message:
GearGOD

O.P. Set dp without leaving it in 'change picture' list (aka break map.dat)
Sorry about these multiple questions but this is my only resource regarding Msg+ at this point. Is it possible to change the DP without it showing up later on in the selection list? If not, is it possible to remove pictures from that list?
I basically have a number of frames I want to go through over time but I don't want to be looking at them in the selection list.

This post was edited on 07-10-2006 at 03:00 PM by GearGOD.
07-10-2006 12:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Set dp without leaving it in 'change picture' list
quote:
Originally posted by GearGOD
Is it possible to change the DP without it showing up later on in the selection list?
Not through Messenger Plus! Live Scripting Engine
quote:
If not, is it possible to remove pictures from that list?
Not yet, people have figured out how to decrypt the map.dat file but not encrypt it to be saved.
07-10-2006 01:16 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Set dp without leaving it in 'change picture' list
quote:
Is it possible to change the DP without it showing up later on in the selection list?
The way Messenger works, each new DP is automatically added to the list, and placed in a special folder. There's no way around this, since Messenger needs the picture in that special folder in order to display it. There's also no documented way to remove items from the list short of simulating user actions, which would create undesireable flicker on-screen.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-10-2006 01:37 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
GearGOD

O.P. RE: Set dp without leaving it in 'change picture' list
Surely there must be some way to automate display pictures without flooding that list? I tried dynamic image generation so that the output name is static, but it still adds a new item to the list every time that same image is reloaded...

Edit: I have found this map.dat file. Where is the existing information about the encryption? I am assuming it links those strange gibberish names to the real filenames... God, hasn't m$ got anything better to do than randomly uselessly name files and create junky folders.

Re-edit: After a bit of research it looks like people went as far as wrapping the enctyption library with a proxy and tracing the calls messenger makes to it, still with no explanation why rebuilding the file doesn't work. I have however, come up with an idea that seems to half work. I found the path of the current display picture in temp, modified it, and told messenger to set the current display picture to that exact same temp path. It updated the picture. It did not add a new item. It did however, corrupt another display picture in the list. If anyone wants to take this up and see if they can get it working, good luck.

This post was edited on 07-10-2006 at 03:22 PM by GearGOD.
07-10-2006 02:29 PM
noroom

www.noroom.tk

RE: Set dp without leaving it in 'change picture' list (aka break map.dat)
How did you manage to have that? Is it always the same "other DP" that gets corrupted? Would it be possible to add a dummy DP to keep the user's real DPs from being corrupted?

I'd like to do this too.
07-10-2006 07:24 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Set dp without leaving it in 'change picture' list (aka break map.dat)
Messenger doesn't create all those TR files as links to the originals: they're copies with a .DAT extension. And the corruption you see is because you've circumvented the normal method of adding a picture.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-11-2006 08:48 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: