What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » JScript too hard to use

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
JScript too hard to use
Author: Message:
cooldude_i06

I'm so cool I worry myself.

– / Male / –
RE: JScript too hard to use
JScript is almost exactly like Javascript, and I think every programmer should have experience using javascript. Once you learn "real" languages like javascript, php, c++, java, etc.. you will find BASIC very annoying.
[Image: clb2.jpg]
07-09-2006 11:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
cloudhunter

37 / – / –
Well I started off with JavaScript then php and I find JScript fairly straightforward. I have already completed some basic scripts for myself. So it should be pretty easy to pick up. And as always, google is your friend... ;)

Cloudy
[Image: cloudy.jpg]
Sig by pirateok/marisaok/marisa ;)
quote:
Originally posted by Moulin Rouge
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return

6714 days, 21 hours, 36 minutes, 24 seconds ago
07-09-2006 11:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: JScript too hard to use
quote:
Originally posted by cooldude_i06
JScript is almost exactly like Javascript, and I think every programmer should have experience using javascript. Once you learn "real" languages like javascript, php, c++, java, etc.. you will find BASIC very annoying.
Basic IS a real language.... don't get me started on that....

It is not because someone has problems with a new syntax that a language becomes useless or not good to teach programming.

It is NOT the used language which is the cause of bad programming behaviours!!!!!! (in fact I see just as much crap from other beginning programmers in other languages than Basic)....

Oh, and VBScript would have been a more powerfull choice for a scripting language than JScript actually. Everything you can do in JScript you can do in VBScript and even more stuff... JScript doesn't even support different variable types (except a very few), not to mention it passes variables always by value, etc... etc... etc... If there is a 'bad' programming language to learn programming from it would be in fact JScript.

(and it would be those exact c++ programmers who would be complaining if it was vbscript which was been choosen, because it would be them who wouldn't be used to the syntax instead. Would that make c++ a bad base to learn programming... I don't think so)

This post was edited on 07-10-2006 at 01:35 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-10-2006 01:32 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
cooldude_i06

I'm so cool I worry myself.

– / Male / –
The main thing I hate about VBscript and Basic are the if statements. Especially if you use the "Not" and "And" together, you have much frustration to face.
[Image: clb2.jpg]
07-10-2006 02:52 AM
wlmcrap

David

30 / Male / –
Man, JScript & JavaScript are WAY.... MORE easier for beginners compared to VB and .NET
07-10-2006 03:01 AM
cloudhunter

37 / – / –
I guess it doesn't matter anyway. Programming languages are just a means to an end, they all have the same result - e.g. a program, and if you grasp the basic concept of programming, with a little effort you can learn the new syntax.

Cloudy

This post was edited on 07-10-2006 at 10:14 AM by cloudhunter.
[Image: cloudy.jpg]
Sig by pirateok/marisaok/marisa ;)
quote:
Originally posted by Moulin Rouge
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return

6714 days, 21 hours, 36 minutes, 24 seconds ago
07-10-2006 10:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
RE: RE: RE: JScript too hard to use
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by cooldude_i06
Basic IS a real language.... don't get me started on that....

BASIC is a real language, but it's completely different to most other programming languages. cooldude_06 explicitly put real between apostrophes, so stop attacking something he didn't even say :P
quote:
It is not because someone has problems with a new syntax that a language becomes useless or not good to teach programming.

It does actually. You wouldn't be using old-style C to teach proper object orientation, would you ?
quote:
It is NOT the used language which is the cause of bad programming behaviours!!!!!! (in fact I see just as much crap from other beginning programmers in other languages than Basic)....

Every beginning programmer has permission to write crap, that's one of the rights you have when you just start off. However, with BASIC, it's not just beginning programmers fucking up... I've seen incredibly bad code from self-proclaimed "programmers" using visual basic.
quote:
Oh, and VBScript would have been a more powerfull choice for a scripting language than JScript actually. Everything you can do in JScript you can do in VBScript and even more stuff... JScript doesn't even support different variable types (except a very few), not to mention it passes variables always by value, etc... etc... etc... If there is a 'bad' programming language to learn programming from it would be in fact JScript.

JScript *has* different variable types, but they're wrapped in a common variant-type. Try the "typeof" keyword.
You're also wrong about JScript not having ByRef types. It might not have a simple keyword like VBScript, but it surely is possible (especially with objects).
If you want to learn programming, I wouldn't recommend JScript or JavaScript, but rather C++. If you just want to learn scripting, and that's what this really is about, JScript would certainly be one of the choices among PHP and several others.
I would never recommend VBScript, VB, or BASIC for any other purpose than quick and dirty "programs" that have no need to be reliable whatsoever.
quote:
(and it would be those exact c++ programmers who would be complaining if it was vbscript which was been choosen, because it would be them who wouldn't be used to the syntax instead. Would that make c++ a bad base to learn programming... I don't think so)

I wouldn't be complaining about the syntax. I, and I am sure most other C/C++ programmers, can get along quite fine in BASIC.
I wouldn't like it though, as I think JScript is so much more powerful (OO, need I say more?), and as I am convinced that Basic and all variants and dialects on it are the spawn of the devil...

Now stop advocating something not worth existing in the first place...
[Image: theblasp.png]
07-10-2006 10:35 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
TB, if you know as much of Basic as you know about C++ (and the likes, etc) I wouldnt be discussing this with you or wouldn't go deeper in on it. But the fact that I know you simply don't "like" Basic doesn't make Basic crap though.  I deeply, very deeply, respect your knoweldge of C++, but for Basic I think you base your judgement a bit too much on "liking the syntax or not"  than anything else...

VBscript can handle OO just as well as JScript does. As I said VBscript IS more powerfull than JScript and DOES know far more possebilities, types, etc... There is absolutely nothing 'dirty' about it. In fact, it's the opposite!! Todo in JScript what you can do in VBScript you actually need to revert to 'dirty' workarounds in JScript.

Also, the passing by reference in JScript for objects is even a 'dirty hack' on its own as it is in fact NOT passing objects by reference iether. But for convenience and easyness to explain it is said it does, as it is hard to explain otherwise. There are papers written about this and explaining this in very much details with technical details "from under the hood" and by those who actually were involved in creating the language and stuff. If I find those links again I'll post them.

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
I would never recommend VBScript, VB, or BASIC for any other purpose than quick and dirty "programs" that have no need to be reliable whatsoever.
which is extremely and so typical to say from someone who swears with C++ like languages. (and I know you now gonna reply with "and it is so typical to say that from someone who programs in Basic" :p). Basic IS reliable, Basic IS good to learn programming as it has a very easy learning curve, Basic IS not dirty programming...

Again, it is NOT the language used which makes someone a bad habit programmer at all!

Note: I'm defending Basic in general, yes. But that does NOT mean I don't like C++ or any other language for that matter. I'm not the one who is pinned strait into a certain programming language and thinking all the rest is BS. It is not because a syntax is different in a certain language than what you're used to that the language is crap.

This is exactly the same as all those "C++ is holy"-people proclaiming for years that Basic doesn't even know pointers. This simply shows that those people don't even know what they're talking about as variable handling in basic is exactly based upon pointers and each and every variable you creat in basic IS actually a pointer...

You have every right to not like a language (aka the syntax), of course, that speaks for itself. But that doesn't mean that the language is crap, dirty, unreliable or whatever.

It is not because Basic is called "basic" that it is a "basic" language or it is not that the "b" stand for "beginners" that it is nothing worth. The very first basica versions might have been, but since then it has evolved into lots more and is far away from the stuff it was 30 years ago.

The ONLY thing you can say about Basic is that it, because of all the "blackmaking", it also attracts script-kiddies who proclaim themselfs "experts". And it are those crap codes from those script kiddies which makes Basic having a bad name. However that it not the fault of the language or its syntax but the fault of those stupid kiddies who think they can program when they can popup a box on the screen. This doesn't mean the language is crap, it means those kiddies are crap.

This post was edited on 07-10-2006 at 12:47 PM by CookieRevised.
07-10-2006 12:39 PM
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
For some reason I dont think anything said here by anyone will change the fact that Plus! uses JScript, so get over it and stop arguing about trivial matters...
07-10-2006 12:43 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
For some reason I dont think anything said here by anyone will change the fact that Plus! uses JScript, so get over it and stop arguing about trivial matters...
very true, but I'm defending a perfect real reliable and good language from the bad stuff said about it. Stuff said which is even trivial (and not true) to start with...

quote:
Originally posted by Tails
Each programming language has a strength and a weakness. They both co-enside with each other.

07-10-2006 12:50 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: