What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » I removed someone on accident, how can I get that person back?

I removed someone on accident, how can I get that person back?
Author: Message:
Mangafan2

O.P. I removed someone on accident, how can I get that person back?
Thing is that I wanted to remove someone, but she was going online and offline so I deleted someone else that was offline but I don't know who that was :( can I somehow get to know who that person was that I deleted? Please help me, my list is so big I really don't know.
Please help...

thanks in advance
07-09-2006 11:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: I removed someone on accident, how can I get that person back?
Not directly by using some button or feature.

However, you _could_ find it out in some ways... First to know is that Messenger uses several lists: you have a "contact list", an "allow list", a "block list" and a "reverse list". It is by comparing those to eachother you could find out:

1) First of all, if you have your contact list exported at one point, you could try to import it back in...

2) Second, with the use of Messenger:

If you use Windows Live Messenger, you are in luck as deleted contacts (if they are also in your associated hotmail contact list) will show up as "non-instant messaging contacts" in your contact list (sort by groups to easly see them).

Otherwise, go to Tools > Options > Privacy. There you'll see a button called "View", press that. The next screen will tell you all the people who have added you.

If you compare that list manually (yeah I know it's a bitch) with your contact list, you can find out the people who have you on their list but you don't have them on your list.

3) You can also do this by comparing your "allow list" with your "contact list"

4) If you also have blocked the contact, you can look in the "block list" instead.

5) As an almost last method and provided you didn't blocked the contact, you could also allow everybody to contact you. In this way, the deleted contact could start chatting with you, and you would notice/remember instantly (hopefully) if she/he isn't added to your list. All this requires is patience and disabling the option: Tools > Options > Privacy > "Only people on my allow list can see my status"

EDIT: 6) With the use of a 3rd party tool (much more convenient than to use Messenger for this):

Download and execute NoRoom's List Manager. With this program you can manipulate your various lists more easly. Compare the lists like described above in previous points.

This post was edited on 07-09-2006 at 11:59 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-09-2006 11:47 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Grue

– / Male / –
Are you using Windows Live Messenger?
If so, then in WLM when you delete a contact from WLM, but do not delete them from your hotmail contacts (it will ask when you delete a contact in WLM- the default is not to delete them from your hotmail contacts) they will be moved to a seperate group called Non-Instant Messaging Contacts. From there you can find out who it is that you deleted and then delete them from that group and then re-add them to you Messenger.
If you deleted them in Messenger 7.x then you can upgrade to WLM (http://get.live.com/messenger/overview) and see them in the group noted above.

Also if you are not sorting your contacts in groups but by status then you can see the deleted contact at the very bottom of your list.

This is the only way I can think of doing it. As I don't have MSN Messenger 7.x, I don't know of any way of doing it without having WLM.

And just so you know you can block your contacts and you will not see the notifications from them signing in or signing out. This way you would not have to delete them and re-add them later.
07-09-2006 11:48 PM
Mangafan2

O.P. RE: I removed someone on accident, how can I get that person back?
yes I'm using Windows Live Messenger.

Thanks for the help guys you are my heroes. I didn't think clearly. Thanks!
07-10-2006 10:24 AM
Vikash

– / Male / –
You can also see this in the event log, right?
Gamed.nl
07-10-2006 10:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Vikash
nope, unfortunatly... Deleting contacts isn't recorded.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-10-2006 12:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mentality

The Best Representation OF me IS ME!

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

quote:

Originally posted by Vikash

nope, unfortunatly... Deleting contacts isn't recorded.

Hmm then this should probably be a future feature if possible
07-10-2006 12:27 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: