What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Sign in error 81000314

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Sign in error 81000314
Author: Message:
Kushan

O.P. Sign in error 81000314
I haven't been able to sign into MSN all day, I keep getting this error.
According to google, the last time this happened was around October time and it eventually got fixed by MSN (something about non-hotmail/msn emails not being able to get signed in). I don't suppose there's anything I can do for now?
07-12-2006 02:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
RE: Sign in error 81000314
Error 81000314, 81000377 or 81000378: Your contact list is not available
If you receive one of these messages, your contact list is not
available or is in read-only mode. Wait a few minutes, and then try to
sign in again.

Possible Solution
\Documents and Settings\<pcusername>\Contacts\<email> and delete "contactcoll.cache" rename "contactcoll.cache.bak" to "contactcoll.cache". Make sure you make another backup :).

This post was edited on 07-12-2006 at 02:13 PM by Felu.
07-12-2006 02:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Kushan

O.P. RE: Sign in error 81000314
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately \Documents and Settings\<pcusername>\Contacts\<email> doesn't exist. I can't find a "contacts" folder or any file with the name "contact" in it (except for one, but that's for my smartphone).
07-12-2006 02:23 PM
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Kushan
Unfortunately \Documents and Settings\<pcusername>\Contacts\<email> doesn't exist
(novalue)/Documents and Settings means add Windows drive(eg. C:/, D:/, E:/, etc) Also did u replace <pcusername> with your Windows username and <email> with the Hotmail/MSN email address u sign in with?
07-12-2006 02:29 PM
Kushan

Yes yes yes, sorry if I wasn't being clear.
Windows is installed on drive I (for various reasons).
I get as far as I:\Documents and Settings\Kushan and that's it. There's no "Contacts" folder, even with hidden system files being shown and such and a search for one brings up nothing.
07-12-2006 02:33 PM
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
I hope you have Windows XP and Windows Live messenger dont you. Also try "%userprofile%\Contacts" without quotes in run.
07-12-2006 02:38 PM
Kushan

I have windows XP, but not messenger live. I'm running 7.5.0324 because I HATE Messenger live. However, it should be noted that I can't sign in with Windows messenger or even MirandaIM either (I get a "messenger service is too busy" error).
07-12-2006 02:44 PM
Kushan

Oh and to add to it, I get the same error on 2 different computers, but signing in with an @hotmail address works fine (I'm using my @gmail address, which has worked fine for years now).
07-12-2006 03:33 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
Solution 1

quote:
Error 81000314... to solve this, try opening your Internet Explorer browser and make sure that File > Work Offline is NOT selected. This will help.

Solution 2

quote:
This problem is usually caused by one of the dll files that Messenger needs not being properly registered. To fix this problem you need to register it correctly.

To resolve it, you can download this file and run it (double-click the downloaded file). It will register all the required .dll files which means Windows can find the file when Messenger needs it.
If you prefer, you can also type the following command yourself to register the dll file

First open a run window by clicking start, then run. Now, type the following command and press enter:

regsvr32 softpub.dll

Solution 3

quote:
Here is the reply from the official MSN Technical Support about this error, please read carefully:

The following conditions may apply:- The MSN Messenger cache has been corrupted. - The .NET Messenger service is temporarily experiencing difficulties.

Try the following solutions in the order that they are listed:

1. The .NET Messenger service may be experiencing temporary connectivity issues. To verify the status of the .NET Messenger service, visit <http://messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx>

2. Try to sign in again later.

3. If the issue persists, follow these steps to clear the MSN Messenger cache:
3a. If MSN Messenger is running, right-click the Messenger icon in the notification area at the far right of the taskbar, and then click "Exit."
3b. Open a Command Prompt window:

- Click "Start", click "Run", type "cmd" and then click "OK."

3c. At the command prompt, type "CD\", and then press ENTER.
3d. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

CD %appdata%\microsoft

3e. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

CD "MSN MESSENGER"

3f. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

DEL /s ListCache.dat

* Note: This command deletes all the ListCache.dat files in all subfolders. You may see a list of the files that are being deleted.

3g. At the command prompt, type "exit", and then press ENTER.
3h. Restart MSN Messenger.

4. If the issue persists, send us a connect log file.
a. If you are not already using MSN Messenger 7.0 or 7.5, install the latest version:i. Start Internet Explorer, and then visit <http://messenger.msn.com/download>.ii. Under "Registered MSN User," click "Go." The program is automatically downloaded. iii. Follow the instructions in the MSN Messenger Setup wizard to complete the installation. iv. Click "Finish."

b. To generate connectivity logs for MSN Messenger, follow these steps: i. Right-click the Messenger icon in the notification area at the far right of the taskbar, and then click "Exit." ii. Delete the already existing connectivity log file. a. Start MSN Messenger, but do not sign in. b. On the MSN Messenger "File" menu, click "Open Received Files." c. In the My Received Files folder, locate and select the MsnMsgr.txt file, and then press DELETE.iii. Start MSN Messenger, but do not sign in. iv. On the "Tools" menu, click "Options." v. In the "Options" dialog box, click "Connection." vi. Click "Advanced Settings," and then make sure that the "Save a log of my server connections to help troubleshoot connection problems" check box is selected in the "Connection Logging" section. vii. Close the "Options" dialog box. viii. To sign in to MSN Messenger again, click "Sign In." The new connectivity log file (MSNMsgr.txt) is automatically generated in the My Received Files folder that is described in step 4.b.ii.c.d. To send the MsnMsgr.txt log file to Messenger support, send a reply back to the support incident response, and attach the log file to the e-mail.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
07-12-2006 04:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
why didn't anyone give this information out last week when more of us were experiencing this :dodgy:

i tried alot of things but in the end leaving messenger for a few days and coming back fixed it :P
07-12-2006 06:25 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: