What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » RE: Should conversations be released without consent?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
RE: Should conversations be released without consent?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Should conversations be released without consent?
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
On the other hand, if you were to ask "Can conversations be released without consent", I'd have to say "yes", meaning that if you are not bothered by the fact the other person might not appreciate it, they will have no sustainable legal or moral objection against you.
The means of communication isn't what counts, the fact that you communicate something to a person in private (yes online messages ARE private) is what counts, hence you DO have a moral obligation to NOT make convos public.

In fact, there are even legal obligations here too, a conversation IS private and you could perfectly take this to court if someone takes a private message and puts it in public (precedents do exist).

The fact that some people are naief and trust personal information to strangers has got nothing todo with this. This is just the same in real life with the only difference that on the net, the line between knowing a person and being naief is much thinner. But again, that doesn't make any difference about the essence of the issue; which is taking something said in private to the public.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-17-2006 06:00 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The means of communication isn't what counts...
Actually, it is.  If it was a telephone conversation, then releasing the equivalent of a log, a recording, would come under wiretapping laws.
quote:
you DO have a moral obligation to NOT make convos public
Moral obligations are subjective.  You think so.  Thank you for your opinion, it's been noted.
quote:
you could perfectly take this to court if someone takes a private message and puts it in public (precedents do exist)
I am sure you are able to readily provide the list of said precedents.  I would love to see it and will be looking for it here.
07-17-2006 06:19 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Should conversations be released without consent?
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
I voted no, but then you've got to ask yourself the following question:
Should you be telling someone personal informtation online in the first place?
that doesn't matter at all... Information given online, by the phone, sms, whatever.... It is like "ooh it's said online so I can spread it further"... TBH that's BS and not an excuse at all to spread info...Unfortunatly many people take this as the excuse to spread stuff...

People should be wise enough to keep the info they get from someone and not spread it, being said online or not...
I'm not sure what you're getting at: my point was to basically tell people to be vigilant.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-17-2006 09:00 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
quote:
I voted no, but then you've got to ask yourself the following question:
Should you be telling someone personal informtation online in the first place?
that doesn't matter at all... Information given online, by the phone, sms, whatever.... It is like "ooh it's said online so I can spread it further"... TBH that's BS and not an excuse at all to spread info...Unfortunatly many people take this as the excuse to spread stuff...

People should be wise enough to keep the info they get from someone and not spread it, being said online or not...
I'm not sure what you're getting at: my point was to basically tell people to be vigilant.
yes, the same as what I mean, but the extra point I made was that that ("should you be telling someone personal info online in the first place?") shouldn't be used as an excuse to make something public. IMHO, you shouldn't even ask yourself that question. Even if the info was given by a totally naief person who doesn't know any better, you still shouldn't publize it or use the "it's put online anyways" excuse...

private is private, being it thru sms, im, phone, tam-tam (edit: is that possible :p), whatever, ...

This post was edited on 07-17-2006 at 11:23 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-17-2006 11:21 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
I would get very very angry if i would see some private convo i had on Messenger made public on forums (or anywhere else for that matter). If i would want the whole population to know i'd make it public myself.

Private* is private and should stay private...hence my NO on the poll.

* not making difference between Messenger conversation, phonecall or e-mail
[Image: 25dr3o9]
07-17-2006 11:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
I think that its to do with the nature of the conversation. If what is being said is private, or of a sensitive nature, then no.

However, it is perfectly legal for me to say "Person X said that Person Y smells"

However, as soon as I put it in a log style format, such as

Person X: Person Y smells

it becomes dodgy.
07-17-2006 11:53 AM
Felu
Veteran Member

29 / Male / Flag
The rules say you cant give private information without permission. :undecided:.

quote:
Originally posted by Messenger Plus! Forums - Rules
    * Respect: Members should respect others, and avoid making derogatory comments or giving rude treatment ("flaming"). Also respect the privacy of others, and don't share their personal information without permission.
07-17-2006 11:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
The rules say you cant give private information without permission.
Those are these forums - not the laws of anywhere else. They're also not that strict in that regard - though if personal information is revealed then it will be dealt with.
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
However, it is perfectly legal for me to say "Person X said that Person Y smells"

However, as soon as I put it in a log style format, such as

Person X: Person Y smells

it becomes dodgy.

If you ask me - they're both as "dodgy" as each other. It is just a different form of writing it.

If you revealed part of a verbal conversation to another person then it isn't considered illegal and the same applies for written conversations (chat logs). It isn't a legal issue but an issue based on morals and principals.

Of course, it becomes different when it is used against someone to bring a bad name to their image or it is breaking a contract or NDA. That is the only time it becomes a "legal issue" worthy of being taken to court over.

In all (well most) other circumstances you'll simply be dismissed from the courts.

[edit] This is a bit of a half-assed reply which I'll expand upon later.

This post was edited on 07-17-2006 at 12:01 PM by surfichris.
07-17-2006 11:59 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: