What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Display Only Online Contacts in Contacts Window

Display Only Online Contacts in Contacts Window
Author: Message:
Protocol

O.P. Display Only Online Contacts in Contacts Window
One thing that really annoys me about WLM is that if you right click the icon in the system tray, and choose to send a message, the window that pops up displays all contacts (both online and offline). There doesn't appear to be any way to configure it to only display online contacts like the main window does.
MSN Messenger only ever displayed online contacts in this window by default.

Is there a way to do this?
07-19-2006 08:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lrac522

– / Male / Flag
RE: Display Only Online Contacts in Contacts Window
If what I think your problem is well try the following steps to solve:

On your WLM menu, select Contacts, Sort Contacts by then Status.

Hope that helps.
[Image: signature3phpga4.png]
07-20-2006 12:21 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Protocol

O.P. RE: RE: Display Only Online Contacts in Contacts Window
quote:
Originally posted by lrac522
If what I think your problem is well try the following steps to solve:

On your WLM menu, select Contacts, Sort Contacts by then Status.

Hope that helps.

Yes. That works with the main messenger window, but not the contacts window that is launched from the system tray when you send a message from there. They are two different windows.

This post was edited on 07-20-2006 at 12:46 AM by Protocol.
07-20-2006 12:45 AM
Protocol

O.P. RE: Display Only Online Contacts in Contacts Window
Anyone find a solution? Can Plus! do this? I realise that MS has done this to force people to open the main window to view ads, but it is just not as quick and easy as right clicking the system tray icon and selecting "Send an Instant Message".

This post was edited on 10-16-2006 at 08:17 AM by Protocol.
10-16-2006 08:14 AM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Protocol
Anyone find a solution? Can Plus! do this? I realise that MS has done this to force people to open the main window to view ads, but it is just not as quick and easy as right clicking the system tray icon and selecting "Send an Instant Message".
I agree with you on this one, is there anyone who could do something to make this possible??:)
...there used to be a signature here :)
10-16-2006 01:32 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
One thing that really annoys me about WLM is that if you right click the icon in the system tray, and choose to send a message, the window that pops up displays all contacts (both online and offline). There doesn't appear to be any way to configure it to only display online contacts like the main window does.
MSN Messenger only ever displayed online contacts in this window by default.
The reason why you'll see offline contacts too is because you can send IMs to offline contacts also. That's exactly the new feature...

Hence if there was a method to remove the offline contacts, you actually will decrease/turn back/kill that feature...

quote:
I realise that MS has done this to force people to open the main window to view ads
That has got nothing to do with it. See explaination above.

----------------

Although an option to sort that list wouldn't be wrong (also improving the "name selecting wheel" so it behaves the same as with the contact list would be nice).

You can always make a suggestion to the Messenger team by going to the main menu: Help > Send Feedback or by going to http://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmessenger.

This post was edited on 10-16-2006 at 08:49 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-16-2006 08:42 PM
Protocol

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The reason why you'll see offline contacts too is because you can send IMs to offline contacts also. That's exactly the new feature...

Hence if there was a method to remove the offline contacts, you actually will decrease/turn back/kill that feature...

Although an option to sort that list wouldn't be wrong (also improving the "name selecting wheel" so it behaves the same as with the contact list would be nice).

You can always make a suggestion to the Messenger team by going to the main menu: Help > Send Feedback or by going to http://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmessenger.

Yes. Exactly the point I am making. You can choose to show only online contacts in the main messenger window, but not in the window you get from the system tray context menu. When you have a lot of contacts, and you want to send an IM to an online contact, it is simply too awkward and slow.
10-16-2006 11:34 PM
Protocol

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

OK. I have lodged a suggestion at the above address. :)
10-17-2006 08:37 PM
Protocol

O.P. RE: Display Only Online Contacts in Contacts Window
I have received a reply from Windows Live Messenger Technical Support.

quote:
Hello *****,

Thank you for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. My name is *** and I will be happy to help you with this inquiry .We do appreciate the suggestions given on your behalf, and rest assured that they will be taken into consideration. I would also like to apologize for the delay of this response. We have received an unusually high number of e-mails in the past few days, making it difficult to respond as quickly as we would like.

According to your email, your question is if there is a way to filter the contacts when you click on "Send an instant message to.." on the Windows Live Messenger taskbar icon. I certainly understand how important this is for you.

Unfortunately, that feature is not currently available with Windows Live Messenger. What you can try as a work-around, is looking for the contact on the 'search' toolbar at the top of the window. We have forwarded your suggestion to the product team that carefully reviews these suggestions and considers them for future releases. You are valuable here at Windows Live, and we thank you for your time and ideas.  Our number one priority is customer satisfaction with our products and services.

Thanks again for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support and for using Microsoft products. Have a great day!

Windows Live Messenger Technical Support

10-20-2006 03:38 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: