What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Mysterious Restarting problem

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Mysterious Restarting problem
Author: Message:
vid_88

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Mysterious Restarting problem
Hi guys,

Just wanted to post here as I can't find a solution to my problem anywhere, and it seems to be Messenger Plus! Live that's cuasing the problem.

The other day I was just going about my merry IM'ing ways, then I changed my status to "Away" (which in turn would bring up  the Plus! Live away dialouge", and instead of bringing that up my whole computer just restart - no BSOD, no error message, just a full black screen and then my computer started to POST.

Started the compyter again and it did the same thing. I restarted again, logged in, and then went to the About Plus! Live box, it opened fine then when I clicked on it (it was hiding behind a window and wanted to bring it forward), the computer restarted again.

I thought I'd done something wrong so I turned off the XP "Restart on System Failure" option, then changed my status to away (I login as appear offline most of the time) and BAM! same problem. No BSOD, nothing.

I re-installed Plus! Live, WLM, and patched again and it was fine for a day or so, and then the problem came up. I thought my computer just needed a good clean-out or had some corrupted files, so I formatted the whole thing and started again.

Installed Windows Live Messenger, installed Plus! Live, patched with Mess Patch and all seemed peachy. Problem solved? Nope.

After a couple of days or so when I went to put some contacts on the desktop I set up the default transperancy in the Plus! main config and went to push OK, as soon as I did, BAM! restart again. Turned computer back on and logged in, changed status to away and the whole thing reset again.

Any ideas what's going on? I can't see anything in the Windows XP Event Logger that says why the computer restart..

Thanks guys.

WLM v. 8.0.0792.00
Messenger Plus! Live v. 4.01.0.240

viddy
07-20-2006 06:45 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
welshboy222

29 / Male / –
RE: Mysterious Restarting problem
It sounds as if your computer has a fault contact the peepz who made your computer if they find nothing wrong with it then contact patchou or cookierevised.
mplus-support[at]patchou[dot]com

If the worst comes to the worst eat a cake makes you feel better!
07-20-2006 06:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
vid_88

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Mysterious Restarting problem
I built my computer myself. It's worked fine for a long time, and I've done a format which should remove any corrupt files/whatnot.
07-20-2006 06:58 AM
welshboy222

29 / Male / –
Alright but if the problems continue then you should contact patchou if WLM keeps playing up.
If the worst comes to the worst eat a cake makes you feel better!
07-20-2006 07:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
vid_88, there are a few things you can check. Most prolly (about 99.99%) imo its a hardware problem so check if there is a prob with your ram. Just shut down your pc, remove your ram, just wipe it clean with a cloth and reconnect it (assuming you know how to do all this)

Also just check if your processor fan and stuff is functioning cause sometimes it could be because of overheating.

Afaik, plus! and/or wlm. Just check these things out if you can or get someone who can check them for you :)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
07-20-2006 07:04 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
vid_88

35 / Male / Flag
I just went to uninstall Messenger Plus! Live from the Add/Remove programs list, and when I clicked uninstall the computer reset again.

Just before that I went to open up Preferences and it reset also.

edit: Thanks John. I might run MemTest aswell and see what that shows up.
Ok I just ran MemTest and both modules (2x 512) came out 100% fine.

I swapped the modules around and gave them a good clean. Restarted and was able to change status to "Away".. so we'll see what happens!
Nope, same problem. Went to click on the Messenger Plus! Live preferenced and restarted again :(

Ideas?

This post was edited on 07-20-2006 at 07:05 AM by vid_88.
07-20-2006 07:05 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
Well i recently had a similar problem and it was a problem with a leaky capacitor on my motherboard.

Let me ask you something ... does your pc shutdown perfectly as in the processor fans and mouse lights (for optical mouses) get switched off. Well this used to happen to me and mabbe that could be the problem tho it is unlikely.

More likely it is a over heating problem so check that out. And try a virus scan while you are at it :)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
07-20-2006 01:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vid_88
Ideas?
Don't triple post? :P

What about this overheating thing? See if cleaning out all the dust and crap from inside the PC helps. Also, check vitals like drive connections, graphics card, update graphics drivers, update Windows, check motherboard for signs of damage, check processor heatsink is correctly installed, ensure processor fan is working, check PSU for problems...
Check anything and everything if necessary.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-20-2006 01:45 PM
vid_88

35 / Male / Flag
I'll do that in a tick but it's strange that it ONLY happens when I do something that involves Plus! ?

ps sorry about the triple post thing ;)
07-20-2006 01:47 PM
Kenji
Veteran Member

Previously: Dazmatic, Dazzy, :zippy:

32 / Male / Flag
you could also try running the pc without the side on, used to happen to me but i took it off and it was fine after:P
07-20-2006 01:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: