What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » What is the best Graphics card for a 22" LCD

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
What is the best Graphics card for a 22" LCD
Author: Message:
Verte

RE: RE: What is the best Graphics card for a 22" LCD
quote:
Originally posted by insomniac
so it doesnt matter what graphics card i use even for gaming?

It's no different to any other monitor, even for gaming.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
06-02-2007 01:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
RE: What is the best Graphics card for a 22" LCD
quote:
Originally posted by Verte
IE, it absolutely makes no difference- it's like any other monitor, only larger.

A larger monitor will need more Graphics Power then a normal monitor.

Have you ever tried running a game at 800x600 and one at 1280x1024..? The 800x600 will have a higher "Frames Per Second" rate then then higher resolution.

I'm assuming he will be running this monitor at 1680x1050.

What games do you like playing..? Are you planning on playing any newer games..? Like any DX10 games..?

As for the motherboard, I'd suggest something like the XFX nForce 680i-LT Motherboard.

It all depends on what Gfx card and CPU you want.
[Image: awd.png]
Drawn into the darkness here with your eyes on the prize at stake.
Faint hearts on an endless path letting go of the ones we break.
06-02-2007 04:25 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Verte

RE: RE: What is the best Graphics card for a 22" LCD
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
A larger monitor will need more Graphics Power then a normal monitor.

More graphics power is good regardless of the resolution, or the size of the monitor, and since we can reasonably assume that you've already considered graphics power and your budget as the main factors on what cards you will be choosing, surely it's a moot point on this subject.

OTOH, I guess it is a good point to stress that [for the obligatory car reference] you're going to need more than a two liter engine in your semi. But, there's no real point comparing low end and high end cards, because you will always aim near what you're capable of getting. That leads me to believe what he's closer to asking is, which high end card is better, and do any of them come with any bonuses or drawbacks for high-resolution monitors?
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
06-02-2007 05:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Verte
and do any of them come with any bonuses or drawbacks for high-resolution monitors?
Basically yes. If you only had a 17" monitor with a small resolution you would go with the 8800gts 320mb, but a 22" monitor with a higher resolution would need that extra 320mb of ram so you would go with a 8800gts 640mb.

Which do you think will run faster..? A graphics card that only has to process  786432 pixels, or a card that only has to process 1764000 pixels. Thats over double the pixels.

Basically, if you plan on playing some DX10 High Resolution Gaming anytime soon, you will need a top of the line card. If you only play on playing some older games on the high resolution, atleast get a half decent card.

To work out what card would suit you, we still need to know what you will be doing on the computer.
06-03-2007 04:00 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The size of the monitor doesn't count at all, in any way!

What can be (note: "can be", not "is") important is the resolution you wanna run*. The reason why I say "can be" is because there are cards which would work faster on a specific resolution than other cards with a lower resolution. Or some card work faster with gaming and others with normal apps, etc... It depends on the GPU being used, integrated memory etc etc.

Verte is correct in saying that what matters is your budget. You obviously aim for the biggest/best card you can get for the amount of money you have. That is what matters. All the rest is comparing apples with oranges as each card would be able to control a 20" monitor (or even larger) and most cards (if not all also) can control the high resolution. The question is only what money you can spend....

PS: that's a big monitor... cool! :p

EDIT:
* Aka: even on a small monitor you could set a high resolution. Thus the size of the monitor does not matter at all... resolution and monitor size are two totally different things.

This post was edited on 06-11-2007 at 09:37 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-03-2007 04:52 AM
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
What can be (note: "can be", not "is") important is the resolution you wanna run.
And thats exactly what I am saying. He is not gonna fork out all this cash and run it on a crappy resolution. And the higher the resolution the better the graphics card he will need.
06-03-2007 06:09 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: