What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » msn nick

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
msn nick
Author: Message:
zedison_c

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: msn nick
yes i do.. i check for updates every now and then...
07-26-2006 01:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Lareon

RE: msn nick
I have exactly the same problem

my nickname reverts back to one i had earlier also all of my contacts names and nicknames all revert too so they dont change until they come back on and the same thing happens with my display picture

ive uninstalled both messenger live and plus and reinstalled but its still doing it :S its only happened since i installed plus
08-05-2006 02:49 AM
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
Try deleting your messenger cache, you can do this by completing the following steps after exiting Messenger fully:
quote:
    a. Right click on the "Start" button, choose "Explore"  from the short-cut menu to open the "Windows Explorer" window.

b. In the "Windows Explorer" window, goto the Folder list on the left pane and navigate to the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Windows logon name>\Contacts\<Your Messenger email address>  where <Windows Logon name> is the login name you use to sign into windows and <Your Messenger email address> is the address that you use to sign into Messenger

c.  Delete all the files that are within the <Your Messenger email address> folder.

d. Right click on the "Start" button, choose "Explore"  from the short-cut menuto open the "Windows Explorer" window.

e. In the "Windows Explorer" window, goto the Folder list on the left pane and navigate to the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Windows logon name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\<Your Messenger email address>  where <Windows Logon name> is the login name you use to sign into windows and <Your Messenger email address> is the address that you use to sign into Messenger.

f. Delete the "real" and the "shadow" folders that are within the <Your Messenger email address> folder.           

If you can't see the 'shadow' or hidden folders, click the Tools menu, then Options, then View tab, click 'Show hidden files or folders' and click OK
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

08-05-2006 03:31 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Lareon

Thanks for the help, i did this but still no luck i'm afraid
it still does exactly the same
08-05-2006 03:56 AM
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
Yep, pick me, I know the answer. The problem here is that when you are typing your name in, in previous MSN versions it would make a sound and not let you type anymore after you reach the 128 character limit.
For some reason with WLM when you get to the 128 character limit, it does not stop you fom typing, and I believe it allows you to type another 28 characters. The next time you sig in however, it will say that there is an error, and hence you will not be able to sign in. This is solved by clearing your messenger cache, as mentioned in the posts before me. When you clear your cache you will lose your defalt background and your MSN name will revert back to what it was before you changed it.
Yeh so you just gotta count and make sure you don't go over the limit. And yes characters you use to format your name count for the 128 limit as well. Hope this helps - and if it doesn't don't even BOTHER sending help to the Microsoft help team, because I tried that and they were UTTERLY hopeless, so I figured out the answer myself:D:P
08-06-2006 04:15 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Lareon

Right i've finally fixed it, sorry aardvark that wasn't the problem

Basically what would happen is
Once signing out settings wouldn't be saved
Display Pic
Personal Message
Contacts Personal Messages and display names

Once signing in they would all be reverted back to the previous ones
Very annoying

The problem lies in the latest update for zonealarm uninstall this and everything works fine
i reverted back to an old install of zonelabs firewall now i'm fine all the problems gone :D
hope this helps other people as it drove me mad i reverted back to 7.5 for a while out of frustration
08-15-2006 03:27 AM
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: msn nick
quote:
Originally posted by Lareon

The problem lies in the latest update for zonealarm uninstall this and everything works fine
i reverted back to an old install of zonelabs firewall now i'm fine all the problems gone :D
hope this helps other people as it drove me mad i reverted back to 7.5 for a while out of frustration

I beg to differ. I don't have zonealarm. And 2 of my friends have had this signing in issue as well. And when they used my means of fixing things everything worked fine. And they don't have zonealarm either.
08-16-2006 09:06 AM
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
MAY I ALSO ADD, i have gone to the extreme to solve this issue. I even reformatted my computer and reinstalled only WLM and Plus 4.01 AND THERE WAS STILL A PROBLEM, so I win Lareon (glare) lol.
08-16-2006 12:06 PM
shawty555

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH i have the same problem but i tried everything you said and its still not workingg.... i dont have zonealarm though.. and i tried to follow those steps that were listed above but it doesnt show my email adress in the Contacts folder. it has everyone elses except mines. HELP MEEE
08-23-2006 03:47 PM
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
Ok well then...you can either delete the entire contacts folder, run a search for a folder named youremail@example.com and then delete all of folders named that, and if it still doesn't work...I'm sorry my friend but you're gonna have to reformat your computer. Lol:P
OO! And the problem from what I believe is logon based. (meaning it will only effect users who have aquired the problem). So by creating a new Windows Account for your computer may well be the trick.

And a REALLY interesting point I just realised the other day. What error message are we talking about? The solution I am presenting is to the error code 80004005. If you are recieving the error message 80072efd, I think it is, that is the result of either a server problem, OR a possible wireless/poor internet connection. And to resolve THAT issue I suggest one or more of the following:
-Closing WLM
-If it is trying to reconnect stop it from reconnecting
-Opening the WLM main screen to sign in rather than right clicking it in the system tray
-Continuous attempts at just clicking sign in one after the other if it says there was an error.

This post was edited on 08-28-2006 at 07:32 AM by Aardvark.
08-25-2006 11:38 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: