What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Upgrade to Msg Plus Live

Upgrade to Msg Plus Live
Author: Message:
bcpub

O.P. Upgrade to Msg Plus Live
Excuse me for my poor English.

Clearly a lot of old users of Msg Plus have met the problem when they upgrade to Msg Plus Live - since MSN Msg Live now supports renaming contacts, Msg Plus Live removed this function. This is reasonable, and I know renaming in MSN Msg Live has even more benefits.

However, for people who have renamed 300 contacts in previous versions of Msg Plus, it's too much an effort to do that again with MSN Msg Live without any hints from Msg Plus! I forgot some of the mapping between emails and modified names already!

I would suggest, if it's doable:

Best Solution: a function to import user customized names from registry entries of previous Msg Plus, and get them transfered to MSN Msg Live naming!

Second Solution: a function to export user customized names from registry entries of previous Msg Plus to a readable text file - basically the mapping between names and emails. I have to type 300 names again, but that's better than nothing!

Third Solution: if none of the above can be done, please please when you prompt to upgrade to Msg Plus Live, make it perfectly clear that I could NOT access my old customized names anymore! At least I can think about it carefully before I press the YES button!

Sincerely appreciate your work and we still love Msg Plus Live.

This post was edited on 07-22-2006 at 10:22 AM by bcpub.
07-22-2006 10:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Upgrade to Msg Plus Live
actually we sat and (unfortunately) renamed all of our contacts :P
Come to think of it, it doesnt take that long :P Most of us had to do 300 or so contacts too :P
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
07-22-2006 11:04 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
bcpub

O.P. RE: Upgrade to Msg Plus Live
It's NOT about how long it takes to type the names again! If I can't read my name settings in previous version, I can't tell who is who only by a weird email, and it's very annoying to msg a friend and ask "hey, who are you?"

As raised by other users as well, it's highly expected that the author could think of a solution for the users, or, at least, warn them before the upgrade.
07-29-2006 03:27 AM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
don't start me up on it again, but we were all warned before Plus! Live was released.

Want my advice...go get a pen, go get some paper and do it that way. You can't blame Patchou on this.

Patchou has said, once Microsoft have decided that enough is enough with the feature, he MAY consider bringing it back, however, it is very unlikely.

This post was edited on 07-29-2006 at 03:32 AM by MattyRid.
Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
07-29-2006 03:31 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
bcpub

O.P. RE: Upgrade to Msg Plus Live
1. You shouldn't expect normal users to read pages of faqs before they upgrade (note: upgrade, not install a new software). Do you read Windows release notes about every new features? Most users DON'T.

2. There's no CLEAR message during the installation saying that you won't be able to read your contact names again after this upgrade.

3. As I said, I am OK to type those names again, but at least I need a method to read my contact names. Do you have any suggestion for that?

I want to emphasize that I NEVER want patchou to get the old feature back, I just want a way to access my old settings!

This post was edited on 07-29-2006 at 07:56 AM by bcpub.
07-29-2006 07:23 AM
MattyRid
Veteran Member

Red Bull Racing Australia

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Upgrade to Msg Plus Live
quote:
Originally posted by bcpub
3. As I said, I am OK to type those names again, but at least I need a method to read my contact names. Do you have any suggestion for that?

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
Want my advice...go get a pen, go get some paper and do it that way. You can't blame Patchou on this.

Red Bull Racing Australia - Triple Eight Race Engineering - Holden
07-29-2006 11:15 AM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by bcpub
I want to emphasize that I NEVER want patchou to get the old feature back, I just want a way to access my old settings!

You still do, as long as you did not delete them when you uninstalled Messenger Plus! 3 from your computer. They are still on your computer just in case you want to use Messenger Plus! 3 again ;).
07-29-2006 11:54 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: