What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » [SUGGESTION] save settings upgrade

[SUGGESTION] save settings upgrade
Author: Message:
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. [SUGGESTION] save settings upgrade
currently plus has the ability to save your settings that you use with plus, however i have this niggling feeling that this doesnt cover scripts yet. what would be cool is when i save my plus live settings it also saves my scripts.

now how could it do this? well one way is it could pull up your scripts folder and package them all up into plsc files and then compress them into the settings file to be decompressed and reloaded into plus at a later stage or if you move computers or something. the other way which would be economical on file size is that it makes a list of all the scripts currently installed at the time you save your settings, it then uses the list and includes the location of it in the plus live scripts database so when you load the saved settings file after a new install of plus it then sees the list of scripts and where they can be found in the database shows the list to you the user and asks you which ones you want installed, once you make your selection it then downloads and automatically imports the selected scripts into plus and viola all you gotta do is configure them, and if scripts with settings were given the ability to make settings recovery files then the settings could easily be restored too from those recovery files which would be local to the machine and something the user would do manually.

so what do you think patchou could this be added to plus?
07-23-2006 06:46 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: [SUGGESTION] save settings upgrade
quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
well one way is it could pull up your scripts folder and package them all up into plsc files and then compress them into the settings file to be decompressed and reloaded into plus at a later stage or if you move computers or something.
Wouldn't work. What if people write their own scripts and don't bother creating a ScriptInfo.xml?
quote:
the other way which would be economical on file size is that it makes a list of all the scripts currently installed at the time you save your settings, it then uses the list and includes the location of it in the plus live scripts database
See above.
07-23-2006 06:48 AM
MX-G

34 / Male / Flag
indeed, that's a good idea :cheesy:
(talking about saving scripts)

This post was edited on 07-23-2006 at 06:49 AM by MX-G.
07-23-2006 06:48 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
cooldude_i06

I'm so cool I worry myself.

– / Male / –
It is a good idea and it is possible. Heck a script could be made to back up all currently installed scripts, since all the script's information is stored in the registry.
[Image: clb2.jpg]
07-23-2006 07:57 AM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: [SUGGESTION] save settings upgrade
quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
quote:
well one way is it could pull up your scripts folder and package them all up into plsc files and then compress them into the settings file to be decompressed and reloaded into plus at a later stage or if you move computers or something.
Wouldn't work. What if people write their own scripts and don't bother creating a ScriptInfo.xml?
quote:
the other way which would be economical on file size is that it makes a list of all the scripts currently installed at the time you save your settings, it then uses the list and includes the location of it in the plus live scripts database
See above.

allow me to divert your attention to http://www.mpscripts.net/tools.php at this site you will find a tool called script packager, now i tested this last night i made a basic script without a scriptinfo file the packager appears to make that file for you, now if this program can make it for you or if it finds one already use the existing one, then surely plus live can be programmed to do the same during the save settings procedure. yeah i have no doubt it will be a long time consuming upgrade but i think it would be cool if this could be done.
07-23-2006 08:37 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: