What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Script idea and comment about emoticons

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Script idea and comment about emoticons
Author: Message:
daf.madalien

O.P. Script idea and comment about emoticons
I have this script idea i'd like to expose so I could hear any advice or ideas you guys might have before i start making it.

The basic idea to the plugin is to free me (and eventually others) from having to put up with some people abusive emoticons, the kind that replaces common letters and words with animated emoticons making it irritating to read the messages.

After reading the documentation simply filtering the message didn't seem possible so my alternative idea would be to use the built in option in msn to disable emoticons.

My script would have a list of blacklisted contacts (user created), and using the OnEvent_ChatWndCreated it would check the contacts in the window and if any blacklisted contact was present it would disable smiles for that window, if not it would enable it (so the disabled doesn't spread to newly created chat windows). I didn't see any way to do it trough scripting so I'm guessing i could send a win32api SendMessage to the Conversation windows using the supplied Handle to enable the option.

The limitations in this would be that even default smilies would be disabled also your custom smiles would apper as text to you but your contact will still see them, not shure these are a good or bad things.

So, is there anything here that can't be done? Is there anything that could be done better? Any advice? Please let me know...
07-24-2006 10:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Script idea and comment about emoticons
The Messenger option is global, so using it won't help really. Other methods... no idea. Just be creative?
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-24-2006 11:10 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
daf.madalien

O.P. RE: RE: Script idea and comment about emoticons
quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
The Messenger option is global, so using it won't help really. Other methods... no idea. Just be creative?

My testing didn't show that at all, i had it disabled on one window and on another the emoticons still happeared as normal. I'll test some more just to be shure.
07-24-2006 11:40 PM
cloudhunter

36 / – / –
Well it's global... if you close a convo window with emoticons disabled then new convos also have emoticons enabled... It's annoying ;)

Cloudy
[Image: cloudy.jpg]
Sig by pirateok/marisaok/marisa ;)
quote:
Originally posted by Moulin Rouge
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return

6705 days, 5 hours, 7 minutes, 13 seconds ago
07-24-2006 11:50 PM
daf.madalien

O.P. RE: RE: Script idea and comment about emoticons
quote:
Originally posted by cloudhunter
Well it's global... if you close a convo window with emoticons disabled then new convos also have emoticons enabled... It's annoying ;)

Cloudy

That's why i'd have my script reenable it for new chat windows without blacklisted contacts, anyways I almost have a working prototype, all that's left is the bit that will change the "show emoticons" option, can't seem to figure out what message i need to send to the window :\
07-24-2006 11:59 PM
daf.madalien

O.P. RE: Script idea and comment about emoticons
Ok, almost got the "prototype" working but I've hited a wall, I decided to use make a little dll to help call the win32api functions to check if the "Show Emoticon" is checked and to disabled it for blacklisted contacts. problem is the GetMenuState doesn't seem to be working, it always returns 0.

Does anyone know anything about Messenger Live Plus that would cause the function to fail? GetMenuString works fine and returns the correct string so i know i'm using the correct handle and menu id.

Any clues? help :(
07-25-2006 05:14 AM
daf.madalien

Just like to say I currently have a working version that's working fine :) (fingers crossed), it disables custom emoticons for selected contacts. Is there anyone else interested in this kind of script?
07-26-2006 11:11 PM
cloudhunter

36 / – / –
Im interested :)

Cloudy
[Image: cloudy.jpg]
Sig by pirateok/marisaok/marisa ;)
quote:
Originally posted by Moulin Rouge
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return

6705 days, 5 hours, 7 minutes, 13 seconds ago
07-27-2006 12:12 AM
Shondoit

Hmm, Just Me...

35 / Male / Flag
Could you post your SendMessage call?
Than maybe other people can have a try too
My scripts:                            [Image: shondoit.gif]
+ Timezone
+ Camelo
+ Multisearch
07-27-2006 11:23 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
daf.madalien

I ended up using a diferent idea, I just need to test it better and finish the UI and stuff before i make a public release, i admit the script isn't that great but still it's my baby and I don't want to show it to everyone before i'm happy with it *-)

This post was edited on 07-27-2006 at 02:13 PM by daf.madalien.
07-27-2006 02:12 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: