What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Mcafee says suspicious script has been detected

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Mcafee says suspicious script has been detected
Author: Message:
Wally

Thanks Vax <3

– / Male / Flag
RE: Mcafee says suspicious script has been detected
hi peaple iv been repairing computers for 3 years i can say that mcafee would hav to be the best nod32 is pretty good iv used that but a few registry problems iv found avast is good for protection but not when the computer is actually infected its cant handle cleaning many viruses at once i hope this has helped and i forgot to menchan lol DO not i repeat DO not get norton that would hav to be the worst virus cleaner ever with the script activity iv had it as well this is because one of the plus! scripts is trying to open or make another file this is compleatly safe BUT im still trying to turn this off im sure its possible:):):):)
Careful don't summon the fail whale.
12-01-2006 11:50 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Note that those script warnings have got nothing todo with the scripts themselfs, nor with Messenger Plus!, nor with Windows Live or MSN Messenger...

Also, such warnings exist in extremely many anti-virusses.

What many people forget (or don't alter) is that many anti-virusses are by default set to detect almost anything. In many cases this is just stupid and way to strict for normal computer usage.

_ALL_ anti-virusses can be configured... I suggest to first check your anti-virus settings, learn what they do or don't do. You know, the "setup", "preferences" or "configuration" menus you'll find in almost any program (but which apparently not many actually click on/know about)?

Years ago, the first thing you always did was checking the preferences out, even if you didn't wanted to change anything. You simply checked the various menus and settings out so you knew what the program actually does or can do.

Nowadays, it seems that people just install something without reading anything and be done with it... and then complain something doesn't work, or ask for how they can do something.

What I mean is: if you're anti-virus software (or whatever program for that matter) says something is wrong and you don't understand it why, maybe pressing F1 or going to "help" or "config"  might give you faster solutions than anything else...

Anyways, getting off topic here. As for the "this script is suspecious", simply disable that warning/detection in your settings. Especially if it warns you of every script, regardless of what the script does, as that is plain stupid. It is like saying whenever you start the computer: "you're computer is starting, be carefull"... :rolleyes:

Security is good and even mandatory, but sometimes it is just too strict/stupid (hence why configuration panels exist in programs! ... use them). Security is far more usefull when you actually know what is or what isn't secured and especially _how_ it is secured.

;)

This post was edited on 12-01-2006 at 07:05 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-01-2006 06:59 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Wally

Thanks Vax <3

– / Male / Flag
very good points but you know seeing a message like that esspecialy for inexperienced peaple would get them worried onestly though thanks for the advice
12-02-2006 03:32 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by wally lebo rambo
very good points but you know seeing a message like that esspecialy for inexperienced peaple would get them worried
which actually sums up what I try to say (I need to learn to keep things simple :p)...

There is no use in getting people worried for nothing. In fact, showing false positives and useless warnings and what not, make real warnings and all less effective.

But apparently this is how most things go today, the more warnings the better, doesn't matter if they are usefull, correct or legit...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-02-2006 03:37 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/help/
My virus scanner says the script is suspicious?

Some virus scanners like McAfee sometimes report a script is suspicious, you can ignore these warnings. All the scripts in the Scripts Database have been tested before they were added. Security and privacy is important to us, we won't add any suspicious script to the DB. The reason why your virus scanner says its suspicious is simply because a script connects to the internet. A lot of the scripts will connect to the internet just to check if there is a new version available, or to get some data you requested (for example the Google Utilities script will connect to google.com). You can turn off the warning in McAfee, but keep in mind this will also disable warning for non-Plus! scripts:

* Right-click on the security-center icon in the system tray.
    * Choose VirusScan -> Options.
    * Under ActiveShield, click Advanced.
    * Click Exploits, and uncheck the box: "Enable ScriptStopper (recommended)".
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-02-2006 01:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Wally

Thanks Vax <3

– / Male / Flag
yeah i  already ignore them but hav the scripts from the threads been tested because wen i started using them this is when the messages come up do yu rekon they can cause a problem many thank :)
12-03-2006 12:08 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Scripts on the forum are not "officially tested" since everyone can post them there. But generally they are save, especially when people already replies in the topic that it works nicely.

The reason that you get the suspicious warning is purely because the connect to the internet, like Cookie already said, this is because some virusscanners use insane settings by default. There is nothing suspicious about scripts in general connecting to the internet, you can safely turn that setting off, your virusscanner should still be scanning scripts for real viruses even with that setting turned off.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-03-2006 12:19 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Originally posted by http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/help/
My virus scanner says the script is suspicious?

Some virus scanners like McAfee sometimes report a script is suspicious, you can ignore these warnings. All the scripts in the Scripts Database have been tested before they were added. Security and privacy is important to us, we won't add any suspicious script to the DB. The reason why your virus scanner says its suspicious is simply because a script connects to the internet. A lot of the scripts will connect to the internet just to check if there is a new version available, or to get some data you requested (for example the Google Utilities script will connect to google.com). You can turn off the warning in McAfee, but keep in mind this will also disable warning for non-Plus! scripts:

* Right-click on the security-center icon in the system tray.
    * Choose VirusScan -> Options.
    * Under ActiveShield, click Advanced.
    * Click Exploits, and uncheck the box: "Enable ScriptStopper (recommended)".

For users of McAfee 2007 Products:
  • Doubleclick the SecurityCenter icon in the system tray
  • Click "Computer and Files"
  • Click "Configure" on the box to the right
  • Click "Script Scanning protection is enabled" (Note: If script scanning is already disabled, the item will not say enabled but disabled and it is OK to just leave it.)
  • Select "Off" and close the window

WARNING: Some versions of McAfee software, not just the 2007 version, may warn you that your virus protection is disabled or requires attention.  It is OK to ignore this warning.

I personally just want to note that my "McAfee Internet Security 2007" has never alerted me to a Messenger Plus! Script...with script scanning enabled.  If you're not receiving an alert for scripts, I would leave protection on.

This post was edited on 12-03-2006 at 01:14 AM by Dane.
12-03-2006 01:13 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Wally

Thanks Vax <3

– / Male / Flag
i dont use 2007 it had a few problems when i tried it it worked but every second day i would come up with that it needs attention i just use 2006 i think ill use 2007 when it gets a little better but thanks for the post:)
12-03-2006 01:38 AM
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by wally lebo rambo
i dont use 2007 it had a few problems when i tried it it worked but every second day i would come up with that it needs attention i just use 2006 i think ill use 2007 when it gets a little better but thanks for the post:)

Yes, the "problem" you're referring to is simply an AntiPiracy Measure. 2007 confirms your subscription every day when checking for updates, so when you restart your computer or even resume from hibernation, it may alert you that it needs attention.  That shouldnt be a problem though if you really paid for it.  I doubt that they'll change that.
12-03-2006 03:05 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: