What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Missing 'My Received Files' Folder after updating to Live

Missing 'My Received Files' Folder after updating to Live
Author: Message:
lovelorn_angel

Only the Chosen

– / Female / –
O.P. Huh?  Missing 'My Received Files' Folder after updating to Live
See subject header for main details!

Edited to help others in searching JUST IN CASE their 'My Received Folders' go missing!

I WAS running MSN messenger 7.5 with Plus installed (latest version prior to 'Live', whichever that was, can't now check, sorry!).

When I upgraded to Windows Live Messenger (WLM) not only did my contacts disappear (except for the people who suddenly BECAME contacts from my hotmail address book, which is one I don't actually use...do most people?) BUT...I also LOST my 'My Received Files' folder COMPLETE with ALL files, music, photos and EVERYTHING sent to me, from (some current, but some now 'DEPARTED') contacts, collected from chats on Messenger 7.5 (with live installed)!!!

Rebooted.....contacts not back, folder not back!

After ANOTHER reboot, only the contacts added to messenger BEFORE plus were visible, but NONE that had been added SINCE installing Plus?!

Incidentally, the FOLDER (messenger 'My Received Files' was MISSING BEFORE I installed Plus (live version) but AFTER I upgraded from MSN to WLM.

I'm wondering if I should have UNINSTALLED Plus from the OLD Messenger, before upgrading to WLM and THEN installed the NEW version of Plus (Live) on top of WLM?!

For 'reference'....I was also running 'stuffplug as a plug in of Plus' at the time....sorry version unknown without searching and checking. If it matters....ask me, I'll try and find out!

PLEASE, has anyone else had this, or a similar problem and NOT just losing contacts, as that's apparently down to MSN servers and NOTHING to do with 'add ons'?

Microsoft DO state that 'add ons' could affect the 'contacts' list actually after installing WLM, its on their FAQ page.  Tell us that AFTERWARDS! THX!

Does anyone know if MSN 'hides' a copy of the old style 'My Received Files' folder which appears to have been overwritten by the new style 'sharing folders' that I can squeeze out from under a stone/registry/hidden/system/anywehere ...... on my hard drive?...PLEASE!

EVERYTHING is missing, ALL previously received files through MSN 7.5 and contacts added since adding plus.....:-(!  Don't think PLUS caused it, but wondered if anyone else had similar problem or any useful suggestions?

ALL HELP GRATEFULLY RECEIVED!

Running XP Pro, SP2, sensible machine, not quite out of the ark yet..... Dimension 8300, sufficient ram etc...uptodate drivers, JUST incase you need to know!?

Thx

This post was edited on 07-23-2006 at 04:52 PM by lovelorn_angel.
07-18-2006 12:10 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lovelorn_angel

Only the Chosen

– / Female / –
O.P. RE: Missing 'My Received Files' Folder after updating to Live
ok...solved this in the most BIZARRE way....

Firstly, need to point out, I HAD previously tried chosing to show hidden files and checking the other 'show contents of system files' box..through windows explorer, folder options...but to no avail.

Then, using Live, with Plus, SUDDENLY contacts reappeared, including previously blocked ones! GREAT. Got rid of those!! (its MY business what colour underwear I wear, if ANY in this heat! Sorry......HAVE to block'em...don't have time, grin!)

Then, had several successful chats and web camera sessions with various contacts. Still no sign of 'old messenger received files' folder.

This next bits chatter.....miss it out if you're interested in the 'how'!?

Looked with BAITED breath, almost HOURLY in 'my docs' (photos of family now departed in folder that I hadn't backed up and music by self and partner and music partner in america, since we transfer over MSN....yes...seriously)....such was the importance of which, hence the effort I've gone to.....even being POLITE in chatroom to some less than delightful character....met some VERY nice people in there too hasten to add...!!! (grin)! but to no avail.....EVERY time, it was still ONLY showed the 'sharing folders'!

Then, PURELY accidentally, whilst wondering whether I could not only leave a MESSAGE for, but also leave file to download for an 'offline' contact, I opened a chat box, hit the 'file' option to look for 'send file' and saw 'open received files'. 

Clicked it and LO and BEHOLD, there are ALL my previously agonised over lost but now returned files!!!

Thinking I've gone mad, I drag the window to half the screen and hit 'My documents' (where My received files folder claims to be?!!).... no sign?!!!!

I think rather than lose it again, I'll copy and paste it into a different location.  Check location, folder doesn't appear.

Finally, I select ALL the contents of the folder, subfolders and all, and copy and paste it into a NEW folder, and then and ONLY then does it show up in yet ANOTHER Windows Explorer open window view.

THEN, I go up a level from the now 'copied' original received files folder and right click to check properties.  It is HIDDEN and READ ONLY?!!!

So, if ANYONE either KNOWS why this would happen, I would LOVE to know, and if it helps anyone, even with my yapping on and roundabout English, then so much the better.

Thanks for reading.

DELIGHTED.......
L_angel.....
:P

This post was edited on 07-23-2006 at 04:54 PM by lovelorn_angel.
07-23-2006 04:16 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Missing 'My Received Files' Folder after updating to Live
Contacts issue: Connection Error.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
07-24-2006 08:44 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
lovelorn_angel

Only the Chosen

– / Female / –
O.P. RE: Missing 'My Received Files' Folder after updating to Live
Um.....

I guess if anyone does a search for 'missing received files folder' AND they ALSO just HAPPEN to need to know about 'connection issues, out of date plus contact details, and caches' that keep their contact details, now they'll have a nice easy link from one subject to those entirely different ones too. THANKS!  Didn't need the link, but VERY kind of you to post it?!!!

P.S. I also mentioned WHY people were losing contacts in my original post...I know its long-winded.... but hey, different strokes an' all that...

:P

This post was edited on 07-30-2006 at 01:59 PM by lovelorn_angel.
07-30-2006 01:10 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: