What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Reading Key Down

Reading Key Down
Author: Message:
Omnipotence

O.P. Reading Key Down
Is there a way of reading keys being typed by the user while not actually being in the chat window? So that say they could type up a command on the fly from the contact list and open up some form of configuration window or etc.
07-31-2006 08:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Reading Key Down
quote:
Originally posted by Omnipotence
Is there a way of reading keys being typed by the user while not actually being in the chat window? So that say they could type up a command on the fly from the contact list and open up some form of configuration window or etc.
Take a look at GetAsyncKeyState
07-31-2006 08:42 PM
deAd
Scripting Contest Winner

– / Male / Flag
RE: Reading Key Down
But that wouldn't tell you when something was typed without it being on a timer (which would be VERY messy).

My suggestion would be to be like HopperLive does; use an external DLL that creates a hidden window. This window registers a system-wide hotkey to itself and processes it when it receives the right message. The window is always open but is invisible.

This post was edited on 07-31-2006 at 08:49 PM by deAd.
07-31-2006 08:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Omnipotence

O.P. RE: Reading Key Down
Wow, thats great thanks! However the next problem arises that what could I do to run that when a key is pressed down. The command only runs when it is called. Looping would kill the CPU speed and so I would be looking for a funciton that calls whenever a key is pressed... any idea as to that?

And yes, the other viable opion was that timer. Which again sounds prettyyy messy... external DLL... errr Im not sure I know how to handle that.

This post was edited on 07-31-2006 at 08:52 PM by Omnipotence.
07-31-2006 08:51 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: