What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Difference between "nick edit"

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Difference between "nick edit"
Author: Message:
LordNykon

Quake Team

40 / Male / –
O.P. Difference between "nick edit"
well, i see everyone happy with this microsoft feature, and i also see everyone happy when Patchou releases a new version withou his "nick edit" version.
Let my try to explain to you what's the difference between microsoft and patchou version, so you can open your eyes and suggest it to Patchou.

When you give a nick to any contact with microsoft:

- The chosen nick is shown in contact list
- The chosen nick is shown in chat window
- The real nick is shown in tabs
- The real nick is shown in popups

Now, when you give a nick to any contact with PLUS:

- The chosen nick is shown in contact list
- The real nick is shown in chat window
- The chosen nick is shown in tabs
- The chosen nick is shown in popups

Ok, so what? i'm a newbie and i can't see any difference!
Answer:
Imagine the following situation:

You are in a chat with tabs, and you have 10 friends on it. Ok, so, one of your friends is using the following nick
" hiiiiiii my friends, today i'm so happy!! i'm glad i can bother my friends with this stupid 2 line damn nick!!!!!1111!!1111"
ok, so... on the tabs, the nick would appear something like this:
  "hiiiiiii my f"
OMG, the microsoft feature is so fun! Isn't that fun? now imagine 10 friends like that. 10 friends that simply ignore the personal message and put their whole god damn life in the nick, imagine 10 friends who change nick every 10 damn seconds. How can you know who is who from the tabs?
You can't..... because microsoft feature displays their real nick in tabs. amazing, huh?
Want more? ok:

So, you are on a chat conversation and you want to know your buddy real nick. Well, you can't do it by the EASY way...because microsoft displays the costumizable nick in the window, not the real one.

Want more? ok:
Imagine that one of your cool friends with cool nicks just signed in. What will you see in the popup? Yeah... the godamn real nick. that would be:
  " yuppy, i get an icecream today blá blá blá signed in "
now... WHO IN THE NAME OF GOD IS THAT? you can't know because of microsoft feature.

Ok, i won't speak anymore because i don't really want to bother you people, i just wanted to say this because i see people choosing "smilies" as the most important features, which is trully amazing. How can this hell annoying microsoft feature be ignored? Please, people... PLEASE reply something positive so Patchou can listen to me. He won't do it, unless we are together on this

This post was edited on 08-07-2006 at 01:31 PM by LordNykon.
[Image: banner7oi.gif]
08-07-2006 01:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Difference between "nick edit"
Patchou is doing his est, he has re-coded Messenger Plus! Live 4.xx from scratch so it is totally understandable that freeware like this is not completely remade.  We are happy with what we are given because we have grown used to the WLM rename contacts over the past 8 months or so with a lot of that with no plus at all.  Patchou has stated that he realises that a lot of peple aren't happy with it at the moment but if Microsoft doesn't do a better job than what they have at the moment then he might remake this too, but it will be kept to one of the last features to be brought back as there is already something simular in WLM.  Patchou will also allow features to use the WLM personal nick names when he works it out, until then we will just have to wait.  If you dislike Patchous work that much then go looking somewhere else or just put up with it for the moment.  They are our only options and there is nothing we can do about it, it's not like pestering Patchou will get these feature implemented any sooner.
[Image: markee.png]
08-07-2006 01:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
LordNykon

Quake Team

40 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Difference between "nick edit"
Yeah, i agree with you! i'm not demanding it. but i thought Patchou only accept sugestions, if they were asked from a lot of people. as he said with the smilies stuff
08-07-2006 01:47 PM
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by LordNykon
Yeah, i agree with you! i'm not demanding it. but i thought Patchou only accept sugestions, if they were asked from a lot of people. as he said with the smilies stuff
I think we should just let it be until most of the features are brought back.  Once this is done or at least getting very close then I think we can start asking for things like this back as well.  Just my two cents.
08-07-2006 01:49 PM
LordNykon

Quake Team

40 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Difference between "nick edit"
yep, i'm proving my point when i say most people ignore this feature. Ok, nothing more to be said. As you and 500.000 people think this is insignificant, and are used to microsoft shit, then Patchou will think " oh, i'm not going to bother coding something if people don't want it so much".
so, let it be the last. i didn't ask for this kind of replys. i asked for FANS of this feature. anyway, the post it's already blown.bye
08-07-2006 01:54 PM
markee
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
No I am a supporter of the feature, just I support Pactous judgement of prioritising the implementation fo features.  I used to think the old meathod was very good and would have prefered it if I could have kept using it but I understand that Patchou isn't a miracle worker and so I will sit patiently and wait and I expect eveyone else to do the same rather than add more pressure on Patchou.  I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression but although it was a greatly liked feature it isn't as important as others at the moment.
08-07-2006 02:08 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sypher in http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=61211
#4. Where is the rename a contact function?
This function has been removed because Windows Live Messenger has thesame functionality. If Microsoft doesn't improve the function, youmight see it back in a newer version!

But.. Microsoft's function saves the data on the server, allowing youto sign in whereever you are (as long as you're using WLM) and stillhaving the names.. So yes, it's a task to re-add the names, but it'sworth it
[Image: spartaafk.png]
08-07-2006 02:36 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
kmcbest

This is a frequently discussed feature, I'm sure.
Even though I see that chance comes to bring back this feature in MP!L, the reason that M$ save the nick on their server makes it a dilemma....the best way is that M$ improve their nick strategies (show real nicks as tips when poining mouse over edited nicks)....
[Image: status2ftp]
08-07-2006 03:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
hiqbal

Naive

43 / Male / –
problem with tabs exist .. If you change the nick of a contact in your hotmail address book or put a mobile number, something weird happens with Msg Plus! .. tabs are enabled for different nicks than wanted. You bring a contact on desktop and if that user has another email saved as work email in your hotmail address book these nicks will overlap on desktop.... I mean u want A to be on desktop but B will come. :) check this thread for details.

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=63525
[Image: hiqbal.png]
08-07-2006 08:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Intosia

I'm dynamic ^^

40 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by LordNykon
  " yuppy, i get an icecream today blá blá blá signed in "
now... WHO IN THE NAME OF GOD IS THAT?