What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Contact List Cleanup Feature Problem & Chat Log Issue.

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Contact List Cleanup Feature Problem & Chat Log Issue.
Author: Message:
artfuldodga

O.P. Contact List Cleanup Feature Problem & Chat Log Issue.
I was wondering if anybody else is having the same issue I am. Some of my Contacts that are shown in Contact List Cleanup are on my list, and I pretty much know for a fact that I am on their list ... but in the Cleanup Window, it shows them as not having me in their list

'Has You: NO'

So im not sure whats going on here :)

Some of these contacts have been Online from a few hours ago, to a few days .. to a few weeks.

Any Idea?

This post was edited on 08-16-2006 at 04:29 PM by artfuldodga.
08-15-2006 10:05 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DarkMe

Thx ins4ne for my av :p

31 / Male / –
RE: Contact List Cleanup Feature (Problem)
Contact List Cleanup doesn't works correctly sometimes :(
[Image: darkme.png]
08-16-2006 05:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by artfuldodga
and I pretty much know for a fact that I am on their list ...
Some of these contacts have been Online from a few hours ago, to a few days .. to a few weeks.
Are you 500% sure of this...

You don't need to be on a contact's list in order to see them online; it is perfectly possible that they do not have you on their list afterall.

quote:
Originally posted by darkme
Contact List Cleanup doesn't works correctly sometimes :(
It works as good as it gets since the cleanup feature gets its information from Messenger itself. If Messenger says you aren't on your contact's list, the cleanup utility will do to (and vice versa).

This post was edited on 08-16-2006 at 07:02 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-16-2006 07:00 AM
artfuldodga

O.P. RE: Contact List Cleanup Feature (Problem)
I'm positive atleast a few of these Contacts have me on their list. And so im baffled as to why they appear not to be.

I've also used ListManager to see who has deleted me, etc. And the few on my list that CLC says don't have me added, do not appear to have removed me :) (that said, I do know for a fact that im on these peoples lists)

Ideas? I know I could prob fix this perhaps by.. deleting and readding... maybe, but .. still don't know why its showing me this bad information :P
08-16-2006 01:53 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
As Cookie explained, it's Messenger providing the information to Plus!. NoRoom's ListCleaner doesn't use Messenger at all: it connects directly to the MSN/WLM servers and gets the data from there.

Since this problem is entirely client-side, I'm inclined to think it's the contact list caching that's the cause of this particular issue.

This post was edited on 08-16-2006 at 02:00 PM by RaceProUK.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
08-16-2006 02:00 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
artfuldodga

I'm sure Messenger has been grabing my Contact information from my Contact folder for awhile now, I haven't really touched that folder on my system, other than to clean out the Unused Information from previous Messenger Builds, so... I guess I should delete the entire folder & let Messenger grab the list off the server?

I have tried doing this before, deleting:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Contacts\artfuldodga@***

Afterwards, Messenger got the list from the servers, but Plus! Live would not let me open Chat Logs with some of my Contacts (that do have Plus! Live Chat Logs) ....  I later restored the previous Contact Folder & was able to open Logs again.

08-16-2006 02:07 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Removing the contact list cache shouldn't prevent access to logs: the two are unrelated.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
08-16-2006 02:10 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
artfuldodga

Well, apparently they are related .. in my case anyway :) ..

I don't lose access to all of my Contacts Chat Logs, But a hand full (Open Chat Log Menu Item is Grayed out) Oh, I should also mention that, when the List is removed, my Contacts Groups disappear (Groups, not Contacts) .. would that cause the Log problem?

Edit: Well, I removed the list, this time the Groups did not disappear, but what i said about the Chat Logs still happened.

[Image: contacts.png]

There is indeed a Chat Log for the user which has the Open option grayed out. Was, before I deleted my Contact folder. Also, isn't it funny.. that for that Contact, I can't even select 'Contact on Desktop' etc ?

Edit: As for this Contact, I sent them a msg, and sure enough.. the text ended up in their Log file, viewed through the Chat Log Viewer, yet .. the Open Chat Log Menu Item is still grayed out? whats up! :) (Seems to be Only one Contacted Affected)

Edit: Tried using unencrypted Contact List, Still no option with this user to open their Log file. The users nick has an (*) in front of their name on my list, I didn't know if that might of been doing something, so I removed it.. and signed out & back in, still no option (Note: I can open everyone elses Log, that have a Log Available to be Opened)...  also, thos same people that Contact List Cleaner says don't have me on my list, still says that i'm not in their list (Which I am)

Edit: Replacing the original Contact Files (All Encrypted), so that there are no 'Open Log' problems worked & brought back the menu option for this Contact, I then unchecked the option in Messenger, to have my Contacts Encrypted, signed out and signed back in, the menu item to open their log was again gone yet im pretty sure most every other contact has the menu item(s)..

Edit: I again, Encrypt Contacts, sign out and back into Messenger, this Contacts Menu Items has appeared & work again.

Edit: I shut down Messenger, Removed my Contact Files, then Removed Plus! Live, restarted Messenger, Rearranged my Contacts into the correct Groups again, shut down Messenger... reinstalled Plus! .. Imported Saved Settings, and... the same problem:)

Edit: Again without Importing Saved Settings This time, still no luck.

Edit: Shut down Messenger, & Removed Chat Logs directory from My Documents. Now, every Contact says There is no Log for this Contact or file Does not Exist (Of Course) .. with the exception of this one Contact, who still has no Menu Items.

I'm Lost :P I can't see any reason why it only does this with one particular Contact:

1. Only works with my Original Encrypted Contact List.
2. If I unselect Encryption & restart Messenger, The contacts Plus! menu items disappear.
3. If I remove my Contact Folder, & start from scratch using Encryption, menu items are still missing for that Contact (all others have the menu, not grayed out)
4. I've done everything :) I think?
5 I removed my personal data folder with dp's & everything else, that left me with no Personal Settings, but still didn't bring back this users Plus! menu items..
6. Erased MessengerCache Folder from Temp.

If I simply restore the backup Contact List Folder, first enabling Encrypted Contacts in Messenger, the plus! menu items return not grayed out for that Contact...

* Guess a Mod can move this post to Help and Support actually.

This post was edited on 08-16-2006 at 06:16 PM by artfuldodga.
08-16-2006 02:13 PM
artfuldodga

O.P. RE: Contact List Cleanup Feature Problem & Chat Log Issue.
I also checked & no Patch that I've applied is causing the problem, it happens with an unpatched Messenger as well.

Edit: OK, I managed to fix this problem :P After completely Uninstalling Messenger, Making sure every reg key to do with Messenger was basically gone, along with files folders & its cache.. and removing plus...  I still had this same problem. One Contact did not have any menu items available when left clicking and going to Messenger Plus Features.

I Ended up simply Deleting & Removing this Contact from my List & Address Book & re-adding them, problem solved.... menu items now work for this user, but... what happend to cause that?

Still unsure why I needed to Remove the Contact though.

This post was edited on 08-18-2006 at 02:00 AM by artfuldodga.
08-17-2006 10:10 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Contact List Cleanup Feature Problem & Chat Log Issue.
quote:
Originally posted by artfuldodga
I Ended up simply Deleting & Removing this Contact from my List & Address Book & re-adding them, problem solved.... menu items now work for this user, but... what happend to cause that?

Still unsure why I needed to Remove the Contact though.
All this indicates a problem/bug in Messenger (which still popups from time to time as you experienced). As said before, Plus! recieves its information from messenger, if there is a bug in Messenger and how it updates (or rather not update) its cache or various contact lists (reverse list), Plus! can't do anything about it.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-19-2006 10:04 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: