What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Conversation window

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
Conversation window
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Conversation window
Maybe I completely misunderstood the requests and suggestions and all (and I also didn't looked/tested at the scripts), but you can simply restore a window without bringing it to the foreground. This means that a chat window will be restored: if it is the only window, it will be the first foreground window, if it is not the only chat window it will be restored behind the currently active one.... search the windows api's for this (I don't know them by heart, but I know you can simply do this with one)...

With this, you wont have any problems with windows stealing focus, tabbed chats and what not and you wont need to check if a window is in a tab or not, etc etc.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-24-2006 05:41 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
artfuldodga

I don't mind the Convo Window coming to the Foreground :) .. but, I would rather it come to the Foreground, Only if the person I minimized the Window on.... or left Focus of... Messages me back, rather than it switching to the very next person that Messages all the time one after the other.. :) it makes the window pop up way to often! & kind of becomes more of an annoyance.

Some users might want to leave themselves in a Tab where they know there won't be anyone writing a message anytime soon, just so the window doesn't pop up on them :)...  which is better than turning the script off & on

This post was edited on 08-24-2006 at 05:50 PM by artfuldodga.
08-24-2006 05:46 PM
KnRd_WC

Florian PAQUET

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Conversation window
Do you remember when I said that :
quote:
Originally posted by KnRd_WC
But, I'm still looking for a solution, I will contact you again if I found a solution ;)

And I found a "solution"...
In fact, when you use Tabbed Chats, there is only one window shown in the taskbar, the active chat window. And i tried to work with that, unsuccessfully... :(
And, while I was looking at the list of windows on my computer... I found that : "MessengerPlusLive_TabbedChats". This window has the name of the contact in the active window. So, just compare this window's name with the contact's name....

Here's the script modified (I'm going to include an option to activate or deactivate this feature) :
>> AutoForeground

I hope it works, if not, please, post a message with the bug's description.

>> I know, I use a "crappy" function to detect the window, because if 2 contacts have the same name (not very probable...) ... the window will be choose by chance xD. So, please, I'm only 17 years old, and I'm "new" to MP!L scripting, don't "boo" me, please.... :S

@ CookieRevised : In fact, if you restore a window which is not minimized, nothing will happen... :( ("AutoForeground : Automatically set chat window on foreground when message is received")
But, thank you :)

This post was edited on 08-24-2006 at 11:33 PM by KnRd_WC.
08-24-2006 11:17 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
artfuldodga

Seems to work Nicely :) I was just testing it out... it did what I suggested it do, which was Only Popup if you Minimize the window with a Contact who is Actively talking to you. I opened a tab to a Contact that was not talking to me, and Minimized the Window using them and the previous Contact would Message me & the Window would Flash in the tray. Good Job :)

I guess you still have to find a sure fire way to make sure it doesn't mix the Contact nicknames up?

Still testing & seeing if I like it, having it this way so far makes it a lot LESS annoying.
08-25-2006 12:15 AM
KnRd_WC

Florian PAQUET

35 / Male / Flag
Thanks ;)

Yeah, I have to find another function.. but it's very very very difficult to find 2 contacts who have the same name... (maybe, for example : "a" and "a", lol)... And it is the only solution I found...

Option added in the menu ! (I tried to make a "good" translation, if not, please say it to me...)
>> AutoForeground

Maybe there's a little bug when somebody talks to you when you're offline, I don't know... I'm on 2 PC to test this script :) I will see...

;)

This post was edited on 08-25-2006 at 12:29 AM by KnRd_WC.
08-25-2006 12:26 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Conversation window
quote:
In fact, when you use Tabbed Chats, there is only one window shown in the taskbar, the active chat window. And i tried to work with that, unsuccessfully... :(
And, while I was looking at the list of windows on my computer... I found that : "MessengerPlusLive_TabbedChats". This window has the name of the contact in the active window.
that hidden window is owner of the chat windows. See script in CookieRevised's reply to Tabbed Chats - wrong contact ;)

aka: Instead of using the FindWindow API, which will most likely return the wrong window when using polygamy!, retrieve the owner window of the tabbed chat windows to get to the (correct) "MessengerPlusLive_TabbedChats"-class window.

---

quote:
@ CookieRevised : In fact, if you restore a window which is not minimized, nothing will happen... :( ("AutoForeground : Automatically set chat window on foreground when message is received")
But, thank you :)
you're not using the right api (or apis) then, If you read my post carefully I say that if chats already exist and you are busy in one, the one being restored will be put behind the active one (active one being the one you'er busy in) in the z-order. If you're not busy in a convo, the one being restored will become the top chat window.

This post was edited on 08-25-2006 at 12:41 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-25-2006 12:29 AM
KnRd_WC

Florian PAQUET

35 / Male / Flag
Thanks for the advice ;)

This function ? (That seems to works) :
code:
Interop.Call("User32.dll","FindWindowExW",0,ChatWnd.Handle,"MessengerPlusLive_TabbedChats",0);
08-25-2006 12:50 AM
artfuldodga

Translation for Menu Item & Suggested Menu Layout

AutoForeground > AutoForeground: On / Off
                           > Tabbed Chat Options > Restore | Focus Window: Upon Activity in currenty Selected Tab: On / Off
                           > About > little window to discribe your script :) What the Default setting will do, and what using the Tab Option will do...

* Maybe thats to many Characters to use in the Menu, if anyone else has a Suggestion so that people understand what it does .. say something :P

This post was edited on 08-25-2006 at 12:55 AM by artfuldodga.
08-25-2006 12:51 AM
KnRd_WC

Florian PAQUET

35 / Male / Flag
Thanks ;)

I tried to make something understandable.... I will need a translator again xD !! Artfuldodga ?? Are you there ??? lol

The link, one more time !!
>> AutoForeground
-----------------------
It's time to sleep in France !! (3:57AM :P) See you later :)

This post was edited on 08-25-2006 at 01:56 AM by KnRd_WC.
08-25-2006 01:29 AM
artfuldodga

AutoForeground > AF: On / Off
                           > Tabbed Chat Options > Restore upon activity in selected Tab: On / Off
                           > About > discribe script, etc .. as small of a window as possible :)

* use that, it shortens the menus up a bit!

Other than that, I think the script works nicely! .. You should submit it to the Scripts Database & Page

* Is there a way, so that.. say if have a web browser Open and you were typing on a forum, and your Contact Messages you, could the Window be Only brought up behind other Applications you are using? .. I know it kind of Defeats the purpose of bringing the window to the front..  but if you are Entering Bank Account Information :) you might not want to press send, with the Information in a Chat window... Bringing a window to the desktop behind other applications would be Ideal, atleast you could see you have Messages, after you stop what you are doing with other Applicatons (Could be another Option)

* Maybe settings in the script, so that the script will not bring the window into Focus, if a specific Application is being used and is Maxmized itself?

Ex) firefox.exe, iexplore.exe .. etc ? whatever program a person uses alot when they are busy, they could fill in a list in your scripts settings somewhere.

:) ... Just a thought..

This post was edited on 08-25-2006 at 02:10 AM by artfuldodga.
08-25-2006 02:04 AM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: