What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Sujestion for a script! Please someone do it! lol

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Sujestion for a script! Please someone do it! lol
Author: Message:
Zeh

DC 4 EVER!

35 / Male / –
O.P. Grin  Sujestion for a script! Please someone do it! lol
Ok so I had an idea for a script and I hope someone takes the time to do it because I would really love having this script. So my idea is a IP monitor. A script that would ping IP's from like 10 to 10 seconds or so. The script would inform when the IP goes online aka when the ping has a response and would inform the user when the IP goes offline aka when the ping stops having a response. It would be cool if you could insert many IP's in the script and put the name of the owner of that IP, so the script instead of saying that a IP is online it would say that a person's computer is online or offline. Please can someone do it? I really want something like this and don't have a clue how to script.
[Image: Zeh.png][Image: x copy.jpg]
| Windows Live Messenger Beta Tester | Windows Live Mail Beta Tester |
08-25-2006 09:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Sujestion for a script! Please someone do it! lol
Hey Zeh!Welcome to the forums!

That is an idea yes, but the results won't be as good as you expect for dynamic IP's! Normally (at least here in Portugal) you have to pay for a Static IP, meaning that your script won't work for most people :(

Unless you're thinking about pinging servers, which is a bit different, because most keep a static ip :P
08-25-2006 10:13 PM
Zeh

DC 4 EVER!

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Sujestion for a script! Please someone do it! lol
Well I'm portuguese too. lol I had a similar script but for mirc. And at least the people with cobavisao seem to keep the same Ip for months. Do you know if netcabo recarregável keeps the same Ip?
08-25-2006 10:16 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
You might be better off using/making an external program to ping IPs (thats what I did) and then importing the response somehow into a script.

Personally, I would stagger the pings anyway (first 10 contacts, then 10 seconds later the next 10 contacts and so on) as it may slow down ur PC dramatically. If your PC will do this continuously, it'll be a real drain on resources.

Furthermore (big word :D), why would you want to do this? WLM allows you to see online and offline contacts anyway (and also when they login and logout). If you wanted to monitor IP addresses, that means you would need to know them to start with to add them to a list. I don't see this script as having any use, practical or otherwise :p

<If I'm wrong here, slap me>
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
08-26-2006 09:22 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Zeh

DC 4 EVER!

35 / Male / –
The WLM shows the contacts but only if the person has WLM connected, if they connect to the internet and don't connect to WLM you wont know if they re online. And there is already a script that can tell you the IP address of someone during a transfer. IPget.
08-26-2006 04:34 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
I think this falls under the category "We can't do it, because what if they don't want you to know"... Invasion of privacy again I think :p
08-26-2006 04:35 PM
Zeh

DC 4 EVER!

35 / Male / –
Well then you would have to classify the script IPget has invasion of privacy as well. I mean you are not suposed to know another person's IP unless they give it to you and that script gives it when you start a transfer with someone. And you can always use that IP to ping with the dos console whenever you want. It would just make it easyer and automatic from time to time.
08-26-2006 04:38 PM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
just getting a ping response does not have to mean your friend is online or at his pc. It doesn't even have to mean his PC is turned on.
My home network for example: The router downstairs (whose IP is retrieved by IPget) is on 24/7, responding to pings even when all the pc's in the network are turned off.

so I don't see the use of integrating it into Messenger.
08-26-2006 05:34 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
The other thing is, you can ping an IP and find out if someones PC is turned on (which has problems as already mentioned). This is asking to find out when people are at the PC, but not online or shown as offline in messenger. The reason the option to be shown as offline is their is so that people can go about their business without being interrupted. This would also give away if someone had blocked you. You could always plant a virus that reports back to you :D (BTW, I'm KIDDING... I did that once and it got found sending me data so I was in a bit of trouble 8-))

PS - That was before the MAJOR jump in the number of firewall users

This post was edited on 08-26-2006 at 05:42 PM by Spunky.
08-26-2006 05:41 PM
Zeh

DC 4 EVER!

35 / Male / –
Well yeah, but has I told you before you can do this anyway. I mean If i don't get a script for it I will still do it when I want with the Ip's I want. The thing is the script would make it easyer for me and for anyone that want's to ping people to know if they are at the computer. If it really was considered has invasion of privacy then windows wouldn't come with the hability to ping people.
08-26-2006 06:17 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: