What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » USB leads incapacitate my mouse!

USB leads incapacitate my mouse!
Author: Message:
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. USB leads incapacitate my mouse!
i have a packard bell wireless mouse...... its antenna fing is on my desk, the mouse sits in it and recharges etc....

i have my mouse mat a bit away from it, and in the space between the mouse and the antenna thing is some usb leads, for my phone and psp....

i resorted to using my drawing tablet because the mouse was being such an idiot... i moved the wires and the mouse works... put the wires back it stops moving

WTF!

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
09-06-2006 04:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: USB leads incapacitate my mouse!
Well, I know that wires when they have current flowing through them (ie, attached to PSP etc and PC is switched on) cause a magnetic field around them which can cause interference, but I've never seen anything of the magnitude.

You may want to invest in a new mouse (I never ever trusted Packard Hell), it's possible its just sensitive, but if it was expensive, just keep the wires away :D.

Btw, I just remembered something else - the phone itself will cause interference, but you don't mention it being there or you moving it or such :). (if you want an example of this, place it next to a speaker and phone it from a landline).
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
09-06-2006 05:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
fluffy_lobster
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Wires with current flowing through them have magnetic fields round them and I believe consequently wires with changing currents, such as data cables, and to a lesser extent a/c power cables will emit (small amounts of) electromagnetic radiation in the radio frequency ballpark.

I'm guessing that you're right and that's where the interference is coming from. Your phone's main signal will be microwave frequency and shouldn't have an effect, but experiment.

If it's the USB cable and the mouse was expensive, try a better USB cable. A good one really ought to provide adequate shielding to keep in signals strong enough to confuse a mouse.
09-06-2006 07:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Most USB cables should be shielded anyway, so interference won't be the issue. However, believe it or not, the cable's shielding could be [Image: msn_tongue.gif] for exactly the same reason the current flow in the cable won't be interfering.

Basically, the shielding could be soaking up the RF from the mouse.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
09-06-2006 08:35 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
Are you sure your mouse is RF (Radio Frequency) and not IR (InfraRed)?

Maybe the cables are blocking the direct sight of the mouse, try putting something else in between them, like a piece of paper or something.
[Image: 1-0.png]

09-06-2006 08:47 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: USB leads incapacitate my mouse!
its not much of a problem, jus dont put it in the space.... i dont have a clue what it runs on... i dont think its IR because it works when theres stuff like a pile of books in the gap etc..

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
09-06-2006 09:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: