What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Change protocol MSN/WL Messenger uses?

Change protocol MSN/WL Messenger uses?
Author: Message:
Kushan

O.P. Change protocol MSN/WL Messenger uses?
Ok, so this is a bit of an odd problem.

To cut a long story short, I'm getting conned something aweful by my "ISP". I'm a university student staying in halls of residence and they only offer us this one, poor, overpriced connection.

It's so poor, MSN Messenger/WLM does not work on it. Other clients do, such as Trillian, Miranda and even Windows Messenger.

I suspect this is due to the new protocol that MSN 7 and above started using.
Assuming my ISP will continue to con me and not bother fixing their stupid network, is there any way I can force WLM to use the old protocol? I don't mind missing out on some features or something, but I am getting tired of looking at Miranda and such.

Here's an attachment of the error I get signing in. I'm 99.99% positive it isn't actually MSN's fault (Despite what the error codes imply).

If anyone wants more technical information on why exactly it doesn't work, feel free to ask, but I'm just looking for a quick fix for MSN.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

.png File Attachment: error.PNG (11.47 KB)
This file has been downloaded 198 time(s).
09-20-2006 01:18 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
freddy12

RE: Change protocol MSN/WL Messenger uses?
try this http://www.fanatic.net.nz/?p=8
09-20-2006 06:39 AM
Kushan

O.P. RE: Change protocol MSN/WL Messenger uses?
I appreciate your help, but I'm certain that isn't the issue.
The problem is that the network I'm currently on sends all connections through a sort of transparent proxy. That proxy then forwards the request to any number of about 20 servers.

In theory, this is a good way of sharing limited IP's with a multitude of people, but the server it forwards to is completely random each time. This means that if more than one connection is made, either can have two completely different IP's.

This alone messes most things up, it also doesn't forward UDP correctly (or at all, in most cases).

This post was edited on 09-20-2006 at 06:44 AM by Kushan.
09-20-2006 06:43 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Change protocol MSN/WL Messenger uses?
Your problem will not be solved by changing the protocol version (or anything else) of Messenger.

Your problem is the network itself and the proxy you're using, not a Messenger problem.

afaik
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-21-2006 06:42 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Kushan

O.P. RE: Change protocol MSN/WL Messenger uses?
Well explain to me how come 3rd party MSN programs work, but the client itself doesn't? And I should also add that when I tell MirandaIM to use the MSN Messenger 7 protocol, it stops working.
09-21-2006 06:44 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: