What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » WLM problem

WLM problem
Author: Message:
Dan.M

O.P. WLM problem
My main hotmail account cannot connect via Windows Live Messenger, but can connect flawlessly with MSN Messenger 7.5, GAIM, Trillian and Web Messenger..

my old hotmail account can sign on to WLM flawlessly..  so the problem is my main hotmail account not being able to sign onto WLM.. it gives me a 81000314 error with WLM..  so I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it..  didnt work.. uninstalled it and installed MSN messenger 7.5  and it worked wonderfully..   so i upgraded from there..  WLM still didnt work..

so overall..
WLM + my hotmail account = error 81000314
MSNM7.5 + my hotmail account = perfectly fine..

but since i've gotten used to WLM's interface.. I dont really want to use MSNM 7.5 >_<

since I have 2 machines side by side.. I even tried installing a fresh copy of WLM on the second machine which never had a instant messenger installed yet alone WLM or MSNM..   my main hotmail account still errors 81000314 and my old hotmail account works fine..

same thing with my laptop.. :(

anyone know what the problem might be..
09-20-2006 08:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
DarkMe

Thx ins4ne for my av :p

31 / Male / –
RE: WLM problem
81000314 error is problem of the wlm servers, i don't think anything else =/
[Image: darkme.png]
09-20-2006 08:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Dan.M

O.P. RE: RE: WLM problem
quote:
Originally posted by DarkMe
81000314 error is problem of the wlm servers, i don't think anything else =/

The thing is..   i tried signing on to WLM with 2 other accounts i have and they both worked perfectly fine..

my friends @ school uses WLM on the computer and they signed on without a problem..

out of the 3 accounts I have..
1 out of 3 didnt work.. (which happens to be my main account)
p.s.
this problem started approx. 10 hours ago.

This post was edited on 09-20-2006 at 08:24 PM by Dan.M.
09-20-2006 08:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Nagamasa
Skinning Contest Winner

30 / Male / Flag
RE: WLM problem
This should work; reply from Microsoft

According to your email, the issue is that you are experiencing some difficulties signing in to messenger, and you are receiving an error number 80004005.
Please try the following steps in the order they appear to help resolve this issue

When you try to sign in to Messenger, you receive the following error message:
- "Sorry, we were unable to sign you in to the Messenger service at this time. Please try again later. 80004005"

MSN subscription customers only: The Details section of the Status and Support page may display the following error message:
- "80004005: Sorry, we were unable to sign you in to the Messenger service at this time. Please try again later."

PROBABLE CAUSE
This error message is a common error message that represents various connection problems in Messenger.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS
1. Determine the version of Messenger that you are using:
- In Messenger, click "About Messenger" on the "Help" menu.

Based on the information we have received, you are using [OPERATING SYSTEM NAME]. The latest version of Messenger for your Windows version is [LATEST VERSION NUMBER].

2. If you are not running the latest version, install Messenger by following these steps. Otherwise, go to step 3.
- To install Windows Live Messenger
a. Visit the following Web site:
http://ideas.live.com
b. Under "Windows Live Messenger Beta," click "Download."
c. Follow the steps in the wizard to complete installation.

- To install MSN Messenger
a. Visit the following Web site:
http://join.msn.com/messenger/overview
b. Click "Download Now."
c. In the File Download window, click "Open" or "Run" to start the installation.
d. Follow the steps in the wizard to complete installation.

3. Remove any third-party add-ons to Messenger, such as Messenger Plus or Smiley Central.

4. Delete the cache file for all accounts that sign in to Messenger on the computer:
- For MSN Messenger
a. Follow one of these steps:
-- If your computer is running Microsoft Windows or Windows XP, click "Start," click "Run," type "cmd", and then click "OK."
-- If your computer is running Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition, click "Start," click "Run," type "command", and then click "OK."

b. At the command prompt, type the following commands. After each command line, press ENTER:
cd\
cd %appdata%\microsoft
cd "msn messenger"
del /s listcache.dat

- For Windows Live Messenger
a. Make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is turned on:
i. Right-click "Start," and then click "Explore" to open Windows Explorer.
ii. On the "Tools" menu, click "Folder Options," and then click the "View" tab.
iii. In the "Advanced settings" box, select "Show hidden files and folders" under "Hidden files and folders."
iv. Click "OK" to close the window.

b. Locate the following folder, and then delete the contents of the folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR WINDOWS LOGON NAME]\Contacts\[YOUR MICROSOFT PASSPORT NETWORK ADDRESS]

c. Locate the following folder, and then delete both folders that this folder contains:
C:\Documents and Settings\[YOUR WINDOWS LOGON NAME]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\[YOUR PASSPORT NETWORK ADDRESS]

5. Try to sign in to Messenger again.

EDIT: Even though it says its for 80004005, it for s for 80000314 too. And also, search before asking, I replied to the exact same thing twice this week already.

This post was edited on 09-22-2006 at 11:48 PM by Nagamasa.
[Image: unled1uo.png]
Joined this forum 6577 days, 8 hours, 59 minutes, 16 seconds ago.

09-22-2006 11:36 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: