What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Dell Recovery Os

Dell Recovery Os
Author: Message:
duck!

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Dell Recovery Os
Hi,
i brought a dell and no operating system disc but there is a program called
Dell Os recovery CD so could that be my windows xp disc it says put in a CDR disc which i think is a dvd disc where EXE, videos and what not can be stored
and my computer has got a cd dvd burner
SO COULD THIS BE MY ANSWER TO GET VISTA:P

This post was edited on 09-24-2006 at 03:50 PM by duck!.
QUACK QUACK QUACK

09-24-2006 03:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Dell Recovery Os
Umm... slow down a little please!

The Dell OS Recovery CD will format your hard disk to its original leaving-factory state. You don't want to do this unless it's an emergency.

Usually (if you have Windows XP) the install files for Windows can be found in C:\Windows\I386. You can't directly burn these to a CD and expect it to boot, unfortunatly, but with some minor tools you may be able to get these files booting. (I had to use the WIN51IP files from an XP Pro CD to burn mine as well as Arnie's boot image).

What this has to do with you getting Vista is unclear.

To get the actual OS ISO for Vista you have to be a registered Microsoft tester, at the moment anyway.

If you're looking to repartition your hard disk so you have both Vista and XP installed, you don't need to wipe out your XP installation, you can use a tool like PartitionMagic to resize the partition XP is installed on and create a new one for Vista.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
09-24-2006 04:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
duck!

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Dell Recovery Os
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
Umm... slow down a little please!

The Dell OS Recovery CD will format your hard disk to its original leaving-factory state. You don't want to do this unless it's an emergency.

Usually (if you have Windows XP) the install files for Windows can be found in C:\Windows\I386. You can't directly burn these to a CD and expect it to boot, unfortunatly, but with some minor tools you may be able to get these files booting. (I had to use the WIN51IP files from an XP Pro CD to burn mine as well as Arnie's boot image).

What this has to do with you getting Vista is unclear.

To get the actual OS ISO for Vista you have to be a registered Microsoft tester, at the moment anyway.

If you're looking to repartition your hard disk so you have both Vista and XP installed, you don't need to wipe out your XP installation, you can use a tool like PartitionMagic to resize the partition XP is installed on and create a new one for Vista.
well i need a back up of windows xp disc because a format is best for me (got a load of crap on there) and the vista is something i need as well because i like the look and cool new features
its downloading now
QUACK QUACK QUACK

09-24-2006 05:33 PM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Mentoz

well i need a back up of windows xp disc because a format is best for me (got a load of crap on there) and the vista is something i need as well because i like the look and cool new features

Last time I checked, liking the look and cool new features does not depict a need, meerly a want.

Anyways, if you can burn a Dell recovery cd, theoretically that will help you restore Windows XP if an installation of Vista goes wrong, or you simply want to remove Vista.  If i were you i would make your  XP recovery cd and use it to format your computer to make sure it works correctly, then go ahead and install Vista. (Even though using your system as a test bed for a Windows cd isn't neccisarily the best idea.)
09-27-2006 02:28 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
i brought a dell and no operating system disc but there is a program called
Dell Os recovery CD so could that be my windows xp disc

It's a recovery CD. It will copy a pre-installed version of Windows XP (loaded with dell drivers and software) to your computer.

quote:
it says put in a CDR disc which i think is a dvd disc where EXE, videos and what not can be stored
and my computer has got a cd dvd burner

CD-R and DVD-R are two seperate formats. What does that have to do with EXEs and videos? :-/

quote:
SO COULD THIS BE MY ANSWER TO GET VISTA

I'm lost at this point. Can you rephrase your post in proper english? :-/`
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
09-27-2006 02:32 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
the vista is something i need as well because i like the look and cool new features
big mistake
DO NOT DOWNLOAD VISTA BECAUSE YOU LIE THE LOOK OR FEATURES

its still beta, and does crash often, the term beta, does not mean stable, its a pre-releace version to work out all the bugs

in my opinion, you should not install vista as your primary OS, use duel boot, so you can always format and get rid of vista
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6663 days, 16 hours, 48 minutes, 19 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
09-27-2006 02:37 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: