What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Compatability with WLM Lite

Compatability with WLM Lite
Author: Message:
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Compatability with WLM Lite
Yes, I did a search and I'm pretty sure no-ones asked this already, so forgive me if I'm wrong.

But does MsgPlus 4 work with WLM Lite? Ok as I'm typing this I just discovered it ISN'T, and I'm pretty sure I know why MsgPlus won't work with it, but I'm not as educated onthe matter as some other people are, so if you could just clarify why it doesn't work that would be great.

My guess is because MsgPlus is something that builds itself into WLM, and it cannot build itself into a temporary program like WLM Lite because that program has no directoryfor MsgPlus to store its files in.
10-02-2006 03:39 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: Compatability with WLM Lite
I'm not sure what you're getting at, but msgplus doesn't build itself into Windows Live Messenger at all, it simply "hooks" itself when Windows Live Messenger starts up using a special .dll that is stored in C:|Program Files\Messenger Plus! Live. There are many reasons that Messenger Plus! Live will not work with Windows Live Messenger Lite, they've probably just got conflicting code or features, the best bet would be to get into contact with the creators of WLM Lite.
10-02-2006 07:12 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
WLM Lite is nothing more than a heavly patched and modified WLM. As with all things, Messenger Plus! is not responsible for the stuff which people do to their messenger and or mangled up things that so called "lite" or "porteable" patches produce.

As traxor said, Plus! hooks into Messenger. This is done by "tricking" messenger into loading a system DLL. This system DLL is actually the loader of Messenger Plus!. If this DLL (msimg32.dll) is not present in the directory of WLM (lite) than there is nothing to load.

This post was edited on 10-02-2006 at 08:04 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-02-2006 08:01 AM
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Compatability with WLM Lite
Ok when I said "builds into" I did mean the .dll file it places in the directory, thank you for clarifying:)
10-05-2006 12:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Novastar827

quote:
But does MsgPlus 4 work with WLM Lite? Ok as I'm typing this I just discovered it ISN'T, and I'm pretty sure I know why MsgPlus won't work with it, but I'm not as educated onthe matter as some other people are, so if you could just clarify why it doesn't work that would be great.

My guess is because MsgPlus is something that builds itself into WLM, and it cannot build itself into a temporary program like WLM Lite because that program has no directoryfor MsgPlus to store its files in.

It was originally intended to be compatible, though at the moment it is not, you're correct though in that msgplus adds msimg32.dll to the WLM install directory, which in turn is loaded instead of the usual system dll, and whereupon the hooking takes place, and then the real dll is loaded from there, though one would think that by including said dll from msgplus in the same directory as lite, it should work, though for various reasons it doesn't, I'll get into that later

quote:
WLM Lite is nothing more than a heavly patched and modified WLM. As with all things, Messenger Plus! is not responsible for the stuff which people do to their messenger and or mangled up things that so called "lite" or "porteable" patches produce.

As traxor said, Plus! hooks into Messenger. This is done by "tricking" messenger into loading a system DLL. This system DLL is actually the loader of Messenger Plus!. If this DLL (msimg32.dll) is not present in the directory of WLM (lite) than there is nothing to load.

Actually, it's really not, it's thinstalled, you can read more about it at thinstall.com, the actual WLM files aren't modified at all, except for being mess patched, and a few modifications, since there are problems with loading side-by-side assemblies with thinstall, so the c runtime dlls had to be rebuilt without requiring being loaded from a manifest, but that aside, after that they were more or less just compiled into the project, along with the virtual registry keys, and of course flash player and ink were also embedded for winks and handwriting abilities, but it's hardly "mangled up", and it is not a "portable patch".

One would assume that the special msimg32.dll that is distributed with plus could also be compiled with the project, and it can, as well as the msgplus program files, and it does in fact work, but not when the virtual registry module is included in the project, or at least that's how I remember it, it seems it would never read the virtual registry keys, and it'd have to be in the physical registry, no matter if msimg32.dll was located externally (and patched by thinstalls dll loader) or interally, I could never figure out just why, I don't fully understand how the special dll operates, but I would think it wouldn't matter considering that thinstall would patch any dll calls in memory, and patch it through to the virtual file system/registry, but no luck so far in figuring it out.
10-05-2006 07:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
All that you described is exactly mangling stuff up, patching and modifying....
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-07-2006 11:17 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: