What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Show invisible buddies

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Show invisible buddies
Author: Message:
Plan-1130

I keep askin' myself: why?

73 / Male / –
RE: Show invisible buddies
Thanks, maybe it's not that much of a good idea anyway.
Oh, and btw, do not double post, use the edit button (under your post, left of the quote, quick quote and report buttons)
My Scripts: UltimatFlooder, Advanced PSM Chat, PlusPrivacy, PlusRemote

[Image: Plan-1130.png]
11-13-2006 10:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Show invisible buddies
quote:
Originally posted by howthey
One question. One time my open window notifier shows someone who is offline opened my window. Is it possible that the contact is not online at all? Like could it be possible for a contact to be really offline but it says an opened window? Or does an offline open window indicate 100% that the contact has blocked you?
An honest question: why do you say "or has he blocked you"?

You see, it is exactly this association which need to change.

Can't it just be that he is just "Appearing Offline"?...

So, in fact your question illustrates exactly why I'm not fond of such notfiers and why I constantly stress on the fact that such things shouldn't be used, nor made. People simply don't know how to use/interpret it (even if they are willing)...

--------------

quote:
Originally posted by Plan-1130
Well, if you don't get any response if the contact is truely offline, I smell a rebuild of block checker.
If you are desperate to find out whether someone has blocked you, you can actually find out if they blocked you, if you keep on changing dp and everything else that might trigger a response at the other contact's wlm... I mean it's like fishing, they have to bite once...
You could even track your contacts for opening a session (especially if so many things can trigger a response) and if they do respond, you know you've been a bad boy
I'm sorry, but that's a completey wrong logic.
quote:
Originally posted by kvnhmmd
OK, I did some tests, and after a countless number times changing my display picture, it hasnt popped up saying that the blocked contact opened my window
stop testing....

Honestly, all this talk or even thinking you can make something, is wrong.

You even forget that there are things like a protocol which may (or may not!) send messages to Messenger and that you don't even see (regarding your "since messenger blocks toast for blocked contact, it would only work for people that are appearing offline"). You forget that there are more types of connection than the one which a "open session" sniffer detects. etc...

The only thing it will do is fuel people minds with even more (wrong) hopes and (wrong) thinking notifiers are usefull or how to use them...

quote:
Originally posted by kvnhmmd
But once when i talked to the contact that had me blocked, the message went through! And my display picture changed on their list! How bizzare is that! There has to be some sort of loop-hole to see if someone blocked you, we just have to find it.
It is not bizarre at all... Such thinking/associating like you do (with all due respect) is bizarre and inlogic.

quote:
Originally posted by Plan-1130
I know I'll be marked as a n00b or newbie for certain now, but I guess many people would like a script like this actually...
yes many people would like this because many people are fueled with hopes that such things work.

They so badly wanted it that they even believe such things work.

I'm not marking you, or any of you, as n00b or or newbie though. But there is no loophole. There are no secret hidden things. It does not work like this. Period.

(gosh... this sound seriously negative and finger pointing... sorry, didn't mean it this way, but don't know another way to say it :/)

This post was edited on 11-13-2006 at 11:38 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-13-2006 11:13 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
howthey

K well I restarted my msn and I guess my online alert thing came up. I guess the contact clicked on my alert because I changed the dp. But as I read, the contact should not display an alert if the contact blocked me right? So the contact could be appearing offline instead of blocking me?
11-13-2006 06:39 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
K well I restarted my msn and I guess my online alert thing came up.
you guess
quote:
I guess the contact clicked on my alert because I changed the dp.
Guessing again. Also a contact does not need to click on anything. As I said before sessions and other things happen without interaction from the contact too (in fact they mostly happen without interaction!!). Your contact could well have been not on his PC the moment you signed on. It is mostly the messenger program itself (to update its cache of DPs for example) and the servers (to update your roaming settings for example) which react on your events.

quote:
But as I read, the contact should not display an alert if the contact blocked me right?
forget about what you've read though... the things posted in the above posts are incorrect assumptions, guesswork, etc. Those posts are as accurate as "I guess the contact clicked on my alert because I changed the dp". It is simply guessing and not even accurate/calculated guessing...

quote:
So the contact could be appearing offline instead of blocking me?
Yep, he could be appearing offline, he could be blocking you, he could be experiencing server problems, you can be experiencing server problems, etc, etc...

The only certain thing you can come up with is if a contact has an "online" status, his Messenger is indeed online, nothing more, not vice versa, not anything else.

There are no ways to check if a contact is appearing offline or blocking you or whatever. Forget about all that...

This post was edited on 11-13-2006 at 09:21 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-13-2006 09:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
xsouldeath

whats funny is it notifies for me for someones whose status is IDLE.. it said they opened a window with me.. how um brilliant .. sigh.
12-09-2006 02:27 AM
kvnhmmd

35 / Male / –
thats because it notifies you if there is a connection between you and the person. that is why convo notifiers are not always right.
[Image: userbar687312to.gif]
12-09-2006 03:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: