What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Messenger and Plus! Versions

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Messenger and Plus! Versions
Author: Message:
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger and Plus! Versions
That's already available when you create a thread in Help & Support:

quote:
Originally posted by http://shoutbox.menthix.net/newthread.php?fid=12
Provide as much information about your problem as you can. For example, tell us everything you have already tried and what versions of Windows, MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus! you are using (type (!VER) in a conversation window to find this info).
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
10-15-2006 05:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Messenger and Plus! Versions
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
That's already available when you create a thread in Help & Support:

quote:
Originally posted by http://shoutbox.menthix.net/newthread.php?fid=12
Provide as much information about your problem as you can. For example, tell us everything you have already tried and what versions of Windows, MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus! you are using (type (!VER) in a conversation window to find this info).

Hmm, never noticed that before. Probely havn't made a thread in that forum before :tongue:

But still, no one follows it. ¬_¬
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
10-15-2006 05:18 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
I think it's good as it is now. Forcing people to choose it from a dropdown or similar generally doesn't work well. People tend to be to lazy to actually check it and will just blindly say they use the latest version. However, when a human being asks them they will get the feeling that replying with the proper versionnumbers will actually help them solve the problem.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-15-2006 05:25 PM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
We had the problem with the StuffPlug forums. So in the bug tracker, when asked for the version number, only numbers were allowed. It stopped people writing "latest version" etc.
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
10-16-2006 06:30 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

I don't think using a pop-up to choose the option would be very effective, most people have pop-up blockers installed on their computers, or with Mozilla Firefox they're already installed.

It's a good idea, but like any other idea it probably wouldn't be effective, as ValSpy said, the users simply won't read anything that's written there for their benefit, the only way to do it would be to force them to put in their version number etc. but then they probably wouldn't bother and just go on to post in another forum.
10-16-2006 07:11 AM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
It'd be better to have something like a drop down menu...

Like:
Menu 1:
MSNM < 6
MSNM 6
MSNM 7
MSNM 7.5
WLM 8

Menu 2:
MP! < 3.63
MP! 3.63
MP!L < 4.01
MP!L 4.01

Also,
Menu 3:
Windows 9x/ME
Windows NT/2000
Windows XP
Windows Vista

might be useful...

Although it'd need updated every time there was a new release of MP!L or WLM.

/effort
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
10-16-2006 09:10 AM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
Also,
Menu 3:
Windows 9x/ME
Windows NT/2000
Windows XP
Windows Vista
But then you've got service packs and all that which are also important. To be quite honest, this would mean a lot of coding and it probably wouldn't even be effective.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
10-16-2006 10:53 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I don't think using a pop-up to choose the option would be very effective,

The pop-up, i thought, would be to tell people they had not 'filled in' the drop down menu. And then tell them to go back and check it.

I realised thought that in certain forums it wouldn't apply or you might need slightly different information. It would be a lot of work to get it right. and it might end up not very effective.
[Image: jumbled.png]
10-16-2006 03:00 PM
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
That would really improve the quality of the help here, and make is easier to help the ones that need help. (Y)

Great idea!
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
10-16-2006 03:13 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Messenger and Plus! Versions
idea is very nice, but...

quote:
Originally posted by ValSpy
Hmm this seems like a great idea but I am sure many people still won't use this since they don't like to read things (just like when people post in the wrong forums) :<
just as most helpers don't actually even ask what version is being used (see all threads where people simply assume the posters are using the latest (Live) version)... That's the biggest problem to begin with IMHO.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Make it so you have to choose an option. Makes sense.
Actually it doesn't. In some cases the version does matter and the questions are general.

Also, and this is my personal opinion, you can often give better and detailed support if you provide an answer where all the versions are described/handled.

In that way, people seeking help don't need to seek for version specific threads. It also will minimize the duplication of threads (threads about the exact same stuff, but with different Messenger versions) or minimize the extra posts to ask "will this work in version x too".

IMHO, it comes down to how support is given or what is being asked before giving support.

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
I think it's good as it is now. Forcing people to choose it from a dropdown or similar generally doesn't work well. People tend to be to lazy to actually check it and will just blindly say they use the latest version. However, when a human being asks them they will get the feeling that replying with the proper versionnumbers will actually help them solve the problem.
absolutely

quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
That would really improve the quality of the help here, and make is easier to help the ones that need help.
Tbh, that wouldn't improve the quality of support. If anything, it would fractionize support posts even more (refering to duplicated and repetative threads and posts).

The quality of support does not depend on a mandatory form to be filled in, it _could_ make it easier (on the other hand, it could just as well make it harder, as people tend to not check stuff as Menthix said), but the quality of support mostly depends on those who give it and their lazyness -or not- in asking questions before giving detailed support, instead of assuming things and giving vague one-liners...

-------

Anyways, the thing why I am against it is mostly because such info is sometimes needed, sometimes not, sometimes it can even give wrong info or the wrong idea, sometimes even more info is needed, and sometimes such info can only be more confusing to the requester and thus they may even answer the wrong stuff leading to incorrect support...

... it is highly dependant from situation to situation.

This post was edited on 10-16-2006 at 08:35 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-16-2006 08:33 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: