What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Home Networking

Home Networking
Author: Message:
hmaster

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. Home Networking
I have a small home network which consists of my desktop and laptop. Its a basic one where my desktop is connected with a router and my laptop has a wifi card.

I have set up the shared documents so that I can put files in so both computers can see them but there is a problem; both computers have to be switched on to put a file in the other.

I want to know whether:
  • Is there a way where I can put files into the desktop/laptop when one or the other is switched off?
  • If not, is there some sort of synchronization system where I can 'drop' files somewhere and it will automatically send when both devices are switched on?
  • Or is there any other feasible way to do it that I have just not thought of?
Any help is appreciated, thank you :).

This post was edited on 10-22-2006 at 09:38 AM by hmaster.
[Image: sig.png]
10-22-2006 09:38 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Home Networking
quote:
Originally posted by hmaster
Is there a way where I can put files into the desktop/laptop when one or the other is switched off?

Thats impossible, if the computer is switched on, then the files can't be accessed at all.

quote:
If not, is there some sort of synchronization system where I can 'drop' files somewhere and it will automatically send when both devices are switched on?

Briefcases do that exact thing, right click in a shared folder, i.e. on your laptop, and click "New > Briefcase" then drag the files you want to synchronise from the desktop, into the briefcase. Then, form then on, whenever you update a file, open the briefcase, and click "update all", and it will automatically update any files that have been changed, both ways (so if you edit a file in the briefcase, then it'll be transfered back to the desktop PC)

An interesting fact - a briefcase is called a briefcase, because it was used by lawyers to carry briefs to court cases

This post was edited on 10-22-2006 at 10:50 AM by saralk.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
10-22-2006 10:47 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
hmaster

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Home Networking
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
quote:
If not, is there some sort of synchronization system where I can 'drop' files somewhere and it will automatically send when both devices are switched on?

Briefcases do that exact thing, right click in a shared folder, i.e. on your laptop, and click "New > Briefcase" then drag the files you want to synchronise from the desktop, into the briefcase. Then, form then on, whenever you update a file, open the briefcase, and click "update all", and it will automatically update any files that have been changed, both ways (so if you edit a file in the briefcase, then it'll be transfered back to the desktop PC)

An interesting fact - a briefcase is called a briefcase, because it was used by lawyers to carry briefs to court cases
Doesn't that still require me to move the briefcase between the two computers?
10-22-2006 11:37 AM
hmaster

33 / Male / Flag
But with a briefcase the file has to be in the folder to update. I cant just throw a file in there and expect it to be on the briefcase on the other computer.
10-22-2006 12:14 PM
surfichris
Former Admin

Yes, the briefcase support is sort of limited in its capabilities.

You can look forward to better file synchronization with Windows Vista.

For now, I'd recommend you take a look at SyncBackSE ( http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse-features.html ) which is what I've used on Windows in the past.

[edit] There are also many other third party synchronization applications which you can find via Google or CNET Downloads

This post was edited on 10-22-2006 at 12:38 PM by surfichris.
10-22-2006 12:36 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
hmaster

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Yes, the briefcase support is sort of limited in its capabilities.

You can look forward to better file synchronization with Windows Vista.

For now, I'd recommend you take a look at SyncBackSE ( http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse-features.html ) which is what I've used on Windows in the past.

[edit] There are also many other third party synchronization applications which you can find via Google or CNET Downloads
Thanks I'll have a look at that (Y).
10-22-2006 05:41 PM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
You could get an old computer (or Xbox) and stick that in a corner/basement/roof cavity where you don't need to access it and can leave it on always, and stick a server on that.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
10-23-2006 07:27 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: