What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » How to transfer rename contact database from PC to PC

How to transfer rename contact database from PC to PC
Author: Message:
Samanoske Akechi

– / Male / –
O.P. How to transfer rename contact database from PC to PC
Instead of bugging everyone here about the transfer of the rename contact databases between Messenger Plus! to Messenger Plus! Live, I hope there's a solution to this other question.

I noticed that the Rename Contacts information is stored on one's computer, instead of directly to the MSN server (obviously because Messenger Plus! is not under Microsoft). So, if you rename hundreds of contacts on one computer, it will not appear on any other computer when you log onto MSN in there.

It occured to me that the rename contact data saved should be somewhere in my hard drive. Can anyone here help point out where it is and whether I can paste it into a USB drive, then save it on another computer so that when I log into MSN from there, i can get the Renamed Contacts Names?

Thanks

This post was edited on 10-20-2006 at 10:15 PM by Samanoske Akechi.
10-20-2006 10:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

35 / Male / Flag
RE: How to transfer rename contact database from PC to PC
The information is stored in the registry, most likely somewhere under the "HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\your@email.com\Preferences" key. Sorry I can't find out exactly where, as I have Live! installed on this computer. If you find it you could export the names as a .reg file and then open it on the second computer and the names should be applied (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Alternatively, you could always use the Export Settings in Plus preferences for what you wish to do and then use this settings file on the second computer. I suggest reading this tutorial and see if that helps :)

Note: Editing the registry incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to re-install Windows, so if you don't know what you're doing I'd advise to leave it alone ;)

This post was edited on 10-20-2006 at 10:30 PM by pollolibredegrasa.
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
10-20-2006 10:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
are u talking about plus! 3.63 or plus! live (4)? in 3.63 just export you preferences into a file and import them on the other pc (with plus! installed obviously). in plus! live, there is no rename contact feature because it is part of windows live messenger unlike msn messenger >7.5. i'm not sure but in wlm all the names are stored on the messenger servers and will be the same on all wlm on any pc

:)

edit: my longest post in a while and half of it is a waste =(

This post was edited on 10-20-2006 at 10:31 PM by Supersonicdarky.
10-20-2006 10:30 PM
Samanoske Akechi

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: How to transfer rename contact database from PC to PC
Yes, I know. If it's in the registry, how do I get to it, exactly? Step by step guidance please?

Yes, this is Messenger Plus, not Live. I'm not editing the registry, merely copying it. Do hurry, guys. I need help extremely soon
10-20-2006 10:34 PM
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
just follow the tutorial that the chickenman ([Image: msn_tongue.gif]) has provided, you can safely export preferences on one computer, copy the file to ur usb stick and import them on another computer. no need to mess with the registry
10-20-2006 10:37 PM
Samanoske Akechi

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: How to transfer rename contact database from PC to PC
Thanks
10-20-2006 10:40 PM
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
the problem was solved, no need to add any more pointless posts in my opinion...
10-20-2006 10:45 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: