What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » dry ice experiments

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
dry ice experiments
Author: Message:
ins4ne
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. dry ice experiments
i just found a video of some guys, playing with dry ice. (hey, that rhymes :D) anyways. here the vid. so my question; where can i get dry ice from?

edit: there must be a way to get it cuz they have ;)

This post was edited on 10-21-2006 at 08:21 AM by ins4ne.
[Image: b5c5bb366c94ba43283cc13901380e3e.png]
10-21-2006 08:20 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
flanders56

They call it Me

32 / Male / –
RE: dry ice experiments
unfortunately, if you live in the Uk, like me. You are unable to purchase "dry ice" for.. obvious reasons, unless of corse u have authority, that you are going to use it for work/learning related reasons..

edit: although if you dont live in the UK, im sure it wont be hard to obtain some.. this could help how to make a dry ice bomb- you tube

This post was edited on 10-21-2006 at 08:51 AM by flanders56.
10-21-2006 08:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
stoshrocket

formerly methos

33 / Male / Flag
I'm sure ice cream trucks use dry ice *-) But I'm not sure they're just going to let you have some (it's not exactly a secret what you can do with it)... unless you ask nicely and say you need it for a picnic or something, although that wont work atm as it's coming into winter. Other than that it's pretty hard to get hold of some unless you are a school or company ordering it for a valid reason other than using it for bombs.
formerly methos
10-21-2006 09:24 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by flanders56
unfortunately, if you live in the Uk, like me. You are unable to purchase "dry ice" for.. obvious reasons, unless of corse u have authority, that you are going to use it for work/learning related reasons..

edit: although if you dont live in the UK, im sure it wont be hard to obtain some.. this could help how to make a dry ice bomb- you tube
That has to be the most poorly made video on youtube. It says 'how to make a dry ice bomb', yet does it do this? No, it shows a guy putting dry ice in a bottle and that is it. He needs some lessons in making home videos.
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
10-21-2006 09:28 AM
ins4ne
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: dry ice experiments
ya... poor video. but i still doint know where to get it from :undecided:. i had a look on ebay and found a guy that sells 5kg for 5euro :S
[Image: b5c5bb366c94ba43283cc13901380e3e.png]
10-21-2006 10:47 AM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ins4ne
and found a guy that sells 5kg for 5euro

yeah, but its sublimating if you send it :P i think you're not allowed to send it....
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
10-21-2006 01:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
We get some with some meals mum gets from her work (she works for a diet food company) and it is heaps of fun, though I've never made it into a bomb (would require the lid to be really tight).  I once made a stand/launching pad out of some old lego and used a water bottle to launch it straight up into the air.  It went so high that it literally took like 20 seconds for the bottle to appear again.  It was very fun, my next plan (when I can be bothered) is to get some poly pipe and make like a rocket launcher out of it (6)
[Image: markee.png]
10-21-2006 02:03 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Using dry ice (solid carbon dioxide // carbon dioxide = CO2) can cause serious burn wounds!!! Be extremely carefully if you need to handle it. Never touch it directly (although you can get away with it if you know what you're doing).

Dry ice has a surface temperature of around -80°C. The extreme cold will give you burn wounds. If you keep it under pressure and it explodes (dry ice bombs) it can not only cause severe wounds, blindness (small parts shooting in your eyes; doesn't even need to be at high velocity; the freezing cold is enough), and even damage to your ears because of the intensive explosion.

NEVER EVER lick, taste or even swallow it, even a tiny amount will get you in hospital and give you permanent wounds. This includes putting dry ice in drinks! Or accidently getting dry ice in your eyes...

---

You can get dry ice in many forms.

The liquid kind is as good as impossible to get (liquid CO2). Also don't confuse the liquid form with liquid nitrogen (which boils at avg. -200 degrees!) and often seen to flash-freeze stuff.

Dry ice is a solid and sold as big chuncks/blocks, crunched in smaller chunks or as small kind of marbles.

You can buy it easly from specialized companies, welding shops, sometimes ice cream places, chemical supply houses, etc.

Also don't confuse the smoke you often see in theater and stuff with the smoke from dry ice. Although dry ice is often used for it, it also is a specific kind of very low hanging, crawline, dense and intense white smoke. In many plays you also see "not so dense" smoke, the cheaper variant. This is caused by lowering the temperature of the smoke which comes from ordinary smoke machines (used on parties for example).

I handled kilo's of dry ice on a daily basis for almost a year (used for FX in a big musical play). And still handle it now and again (again for theater related stuff).

I strongly suggest NOT to play with dry ice, especially not experimenting with dry ice bombs. It is as dangerous as playing/experimenting with fireworks!!!

To proof that this is not as safe as you might think search the net for the accidents which can happen extremely quickly.

eg:
quote:
Originally posted by Angela_Hinkhouse
I was reading your web page about the accident involving the dry ice and the loss of the woman's sight. On July 3, 1999 a similar accident happened in my family. My then three year old son was seriously injured, He lost one of his eyes, his right thumb was 75% severed and broken, his left thumb was 50% severed and he had a gash about 4 inches long on his stomach. I had also never heard of this and was mortified. My son is now doing wonderful and we are very vocal about it to let people know what can happen with what I found out after the fact to be called "dry ice bombs".

This post was edited on 10-21-2006 at 09:21 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-21-2006 06:16 PM
FrozenDaggers

I shoot people.

35 / Female / Flag
RE: RE: dry ice experiments
quote:
Originally posted by flanders56

I've used it, I'm in the UK. o.O But I have absolutly no idea how/why it was purchased.

This post was edited on 10-21-2006 at 09:06 PM by FrozenDaggers.
10-21-2006 09:04 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
* Chris4 stays well clear of any dry ice :|
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
10-21-2006 10:05 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »